Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

sugg: sub-areas for diff. traditions

edited April 2006 in NewBuddhist.com
This is a very nice site, and I like it the way it is. But I just wanted to give a little feedback.
Would there be any advantage to creating some kind of subdirectory for the different traditions? Zen, Tibetan, etc? While there may not be enough members here to validate it, I would enjoy a subsection to interact with others in the Tibetan traditions.

Thank you for your consideration.

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Good point, Harlan.

I even had to ask Zenmonk about one of his replies...

Whether it was a general Buddhist reply (like "there is a God, a Jesus and a Holy Ghost")

or whether it was a Zen Buddhism response ("there is a God, Jesus and Holy Spirit - but they are three separate entities")

I don't know what the possibility of doing this is - but it is a wonderful suggestion.

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yo harlan, I think this would be okay (I hang around the Tibetan-type, myself)

regards,
    X
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    If I were to be asked to vote on such a proposal, I should vote 'nay'. I have seen the results, on both Buddhist and Christian boards. It is not always pretty because it emphasises difference rather than commonality.

On at least two other boards that tried this, we got someone(s) posting along the lines of "this is a xxxxxxxx forum and you are not xxxxxxxx so go away!"
  • edited February 2006
    I'd only be concerned about ghetto-ising the board - each tradition huddled in its own corner and us complete newcomers wandering about wondering where everyone is.

And I've seen what Simon mentioned in action on pagan boards - not very compassionate.
  • edited February 2006
    Well, I bow to wiser heads. :)
  • edited February 2006
    I hope you're not including me in that one Harlan - hedgehogs have wiser heads than mine!
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I must say I agree with Simon. The only two Buddhist forums I know of are this one and E-Sangha, and because E-Sangha is divided into so many different sub-types, it put me off from the start! I am new to Buddhism, and as yet I'm not sure which tradition I can say that I follow; or if I am finding my own way, where would I post? This forum is much better in that it's simpler, and because I can chat with posters from the Tibetan, Mahayana, Zen and other schools of Buddhism with equal facility, I feel that I can learn much more than If I limit myself to only one school.

That said, I understand that this forum is mainly for Westerners that practise Buddhism, so it would be nice to have a forum for European Buddhists, in addition to the one for American Buddhists.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Padawan, could you elaborate as to why you think this would be a favourable option?

Living in France as I do, and British in origin, I guess I would fit into the same 'bracket as you.....what do you perceive, with regard to the differentiation between Western American and Western European Buddhism, as being the distinction?

I'm just curious as to your reasoning - I'd be very interested..... ;)
  • edited February 2006
    One of the things I liked about these message boards from the first time I stumbled across it, was that it's relatively simple and uncluttered. Too many forums and subforums makes things feel cluttered and "busy" to me, and it can sometimes make things more confusing when you're trying to decide where to post a topic.

Sometimes forums need to be added, sometimes forums need to be merged. I don't know if either is the case here right now or not.
  • LincLinc Site owner Detroit Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I think the focus of this site is to help people with general ideas of Buddhism and get them started on whatever path they choose to take. We don't favor one tradition over another, so I think people might get the wrong idea if we start fragmenting the board by each line. There would always be another group who was "left out" and wanted another area created. It would also probably result in conversations with comments like "well, this is the RIGHT path" when we highly discourage talk like that. I haven't talked with Brian about this specifically, but I don't expect this is a direction we'll move in. As usual, the suggestion and ideas are most appreciated regardless! :)
  • edited February 2006
    I`m for not fragmenting. But it would be so easy to fragment: that`s partly what my last post was about on the Lotus Sutra thread.
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    Padawan, could you elaborate as to why you think this would be a favourable option?

Living in France as I do, and British in origin, I guess I would fit into the same 'bracket as you.....what do you perceive, with regard to the differentiation between Western American and Western European Buddhism, as being the distinction?

I'm just curious as to your reasoning - I'd be very interested..... ;)

To be perfectly honest, I am completely unaware of any differences between Western American and Western European Buddhism. :) I just thought that it would be nice for the European members to have somewhere to talk as well..
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Padawan wrote:
    To be perfectly honest, I am completely unaware of any differences between Western American and Western European Buddhism. :) I just thought that it would be nice for the European members to have somewhere to talk as well..

I haven't counted threads and posts, life being too short, but I get the feeling that it is the USians who are in the minority here atm!
  • PadawanPadawan Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I'd just like to say a big, hearty 'thank you' to Fede, for the new Euro-Australian Buddhist section! :bigclap: :rockon:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    I wouldn't like to say, strictly speaking that I had any influence on the decision... But, I must admit, G.C.M.G.... !! :lol:;)
    edited March 2006
    There!

Happy now!?!!?!?!?!

-bf
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Thank you fede! ;)
  • edited March 2006
    Padawan wrote:

This is something of a tangent but in my experience with the UK - British Buddhists (I wouldn't apply this to all European Buddhism) hold meetings to politely discuss doing something and never actually do anything. American Buddhists do stuff all the time and then sell it to someone.
    edited March 2006
    That is sooooo true ZM.... I recently found an English Buddhist forum and going on there is like doing these crazy graveyard meditations.... nothing much happens, and when it does, it's nothing much....!
  • edited March 2006
    I will come down on the side of the Pilgrim and those who prefer not to chop up this board into the traditions that exist now. This is not because that would necessarily create sectarianism, because the main difference between a path one focuses on and a sect one belongs to, is the attitude toward those not on the identical path. If it is hostile or intolerant, then path=sect.

No, I was just thinking that we are mainly Western non-ethnic rooted Buddhists (or sympathizers). We have all these traditions to pick from, but ideally, eventually, we will form some synthesis of all these available traditions. So interaction and learning from each other might help realize that goal.
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hehe... What about those like me who have no tradition? Will anyone be willing enough to set up an Ajani School Board for me?

C'mon... We are all Buddhists aren't we? Buddhism is after all different for each and everyone of us as we progress. No two of us can claim to be the same in our methods and our experiences of Buddhism, not even HHDL and his closest Lamas! Right now we have great fun like this. Why not we keep the status quo?
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Good post, Ajani.

I like the point you made about HH the Dalai Lama and his Lamas.
    And I agree wholeheartedly!

Love
    Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Brian,
    You are indeed very wise in your response. Personally I would embrace Buddhism if it wasn't call buddhism. In fact if it decided to denounce itself as a religion that would make closer to the cause.

However, we are where we are and I have to admit I am personally more interested in Theravada Buddhism and find most punters that use this site have an interest in Tibet Buddhism. Still I take what I am given and appreciate that their many people on here that I can learn from and are in fact very patient and are happy to give advise.

I my humble opinion Buddhist has to go through what the labour party did in the 80's and 90's (without achieving Blairism) You have to drop clause 4. That was the turning point.

Thing is what is Buddhism's clause 4 and would they be prepared to go through the pain to achieve a greater goal.

At the moment probably not.

HH
  • edited March 2006
    Buddhism's clause 4 is not being attached to any label, including the label of not having any labels.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Good one, Genryu!

High five.

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    That would be "Animitta" or 'signlessness'....
  • edited March 2006
    Genryu,
    Clearly my friend that is not the case. As you are well aware there are many labels in Buddhism such Theravada and the Mahayana. That might be a hoop that needs jumping through.
    What they do is incorrectly celebrate the differences between a belief system that in my opinion should have no divide.

HH
    edited March 2006

Thing is what is Buddhism's clause 4 and would they be prepared to go through the pain to achieve a greater goal.

At the moment probably not.

HH

And that's exactly your point isn't it? ZM has given you the clause 4 but as you've stated, it's one thing to have a clause, but another to act on it....
  • edited March 2006
    I am attempting to battle with the attachment I have about being right on this subject. Never the less I appreciate that yourself, Zenmonk or indeed any of us might be not be attached to a particular label. However, there are many that are. I think it is healthy to challenge the establishment.

Did any of that make sense..?

HH
    edited March 2006
    Herman, some labels are necessary...it helps to differentiate and standardise certain things...
    Man, Woman, are labels...that is not to say that one is better than the other - they are different. And I too get annoyed when the differences are utilised as denoting Superiority, when in fact the differences should be celebrated and not condemned....
    there are many things men can do that women can't and vice versa. For me that's a good thing....

Ten bottles of red wine without a single label would mean knowing nothing about the content. You'd have to try each one, before saying which you preferred, but you'd be none the wiser about provenance, year, vintage, quality......

Sometimes labels are necessary. But only as an indication, not as a concrete identity.

It's when we decide that our label defines us that we are prone to prejudice, judgement and criticism.....
    edited March 2006
    I am attempting to battle with the attachment I have about being right on this subject. Never the less I appreciate that yourself, Zenmonk or indeed any of us might be not be attached to a particular label. However, there are many that are. I think it is healthy to challenge the establishment.

Did any of that make sense..?

HH

Sure!

I think it's healthy to question things. Questioning has led to many new discoveries.

But there also comes a time - when all the facts have been presented - all debates and rebuttals have been stated that one has to come to a decision or conclusion.

I'm sure you'll come to whatever label or name you can accept when the time is right.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    At first thought, I favored the idea of sub-categories. However, I have come to the conclusion that I enjoy the diverse answers to posted thoughts, concerns, and questions. It can sometimes lead to misunderstanding and borderline debate, but in the long run, I think the mix is beneficial.
  • edited March 2006
    Imagine there's no heaven
    It's easy if you try
    No hell below us
    Above us only sky
    Imagine all the people
    Living for today...

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too
    Imagine all the people
    Living life in peace...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will be as one

Imagine no possessions
    I wonder if you can
    No need for greed or hunger
    A brotherhood of man
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

You may say I'm a dreamer
    But I'm not the only one
    I hope someday you'll join us
    And the world will live as one
    edited March 2006
    Performed by: Donovan
    Album: Cosmic Wheels - 1973

I was impressed like everyone,
    When man began to fly,
    Out of earthly regions,
    To planets in the sky.
    With total media coverage,
    We watched the heros land,
    As ceremoniously
    They disturbed the cosmic sand.

In awe with admiration,
    We listened to the talk.
    Such pride felt they,
    Such joy to be
    Upon the moon to walk.
    My romantic vision shattered,
    When it was explained to me,
    Spacemen wear old diapers
    In which they shit and pee.

Oh, the intergalactic laxative,
    Will get you from here to there.
    Relieve you and believe me,
    Without a worry or care.
    If shitting is your problem,
    When you're out there in the stars,
    Oh, the intergalactic laxative
    Will get you from here to Mars.

They don't partake like you and I,
    Of beefy burger mush.
    Their food is specially prepared
    To dissolve into slush.
    Absorbed by multi-fibers
    In the super diaper suit,
    Otherwise the slush would trickle
    Down inside the boot.

Without a worry or care.
    If shitting is your problem

You may well ask now what becomes
    Of liquid they consume.
    A pipe is led from penis head
    To a unit in the room.
    The water is recirculated,
    Filtered for re-use.
    In case of anti-gravity -
    Pee gets on the loose.

Without a worry or care.

Wherever man has conquered,
    On the quest for frontiers new,
    (Da da da da)
    I'm glad that he's always had to do
    The number one and two.
    It makes it all so ordinary,
    Just like you and me,
    To know the greatest heroes,
    They had to shit and pee.

The intergalactic laxative
    Will get you from here to there,
    For cosmic constipation
    There's none that can compare.
    The intergalactic laxative,
    The intergalactic laxative,

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Billy Bragg

With the money from her accident
    She bought herself a mobile home
    So at least she could get some enjoyment
    Out of being alone
    No one could say that she was left up on the shelf
    It's you and me against the World kid she mumbled to herself

CHORUS:
    When the world falls apart some things stay in place
    Levi Stubbs' tears run down his face

She ran away from home with her mother's best coat
    She was married before she was even entitled to vote
    And her husband was one of those blokes
    The sort that only laughs at his own jokes
    The sort that war takes away
    And when there wasn't a war he left her anyway

Norman Whitfield and Barratt Strong
    Are here to make everything right that's wrong
    Holland and Holland and Lamont Dozier too
    Are here to make it all okay with you

One dark night he came home from the sea
    And put a hole in her body where no hole should be
    It hurt her more to see him walking out the door
    And though they stitched her back together they left her heart in pieces on the
    floor

She takes off the Four Tops tape and puts it back in its case
    Levi Stubbs' tears...
    edited March 2006
    Beatles
    White Album

Why don't we do it in the road
    No one will be watching us
    People will be watching us
    Hey do you think we could have done that better

-HH
  • edited March 2006
    The Jam

a police car and a screaming siren
    pneumatic drill and ripped up concrete
    a baby wailing and a stray dog howling
    the screech of brakes and lamplights blinking

thats entertainment

a smash of glass and the rumble of boots
    an electric train and a ripped up phone booth
    paint splattered walls and the cry of a tom cat
    lights going out and a kick in the balls

thats entertainment

days of speed and slow time mondays
    pissing down with rain on a boring wednesday
    watching the news and not eating your tea
    a freezing cold flat with damp on the walls

thats entertainment

waking up at 6 a.m on a cool warm morning
    opening the window and breathing in petrol
    an amateur band rehearsing in a nearby yard
    watching the telly and thinking 'bout your holidays

thats entertainment

waking up from bad dreams and smoking cigarettes
    cuddling a warm girl and smelling stale perfume
    a hot summers day and sticky black tarmac
    feeding ducks in the park and wishing you were far away

thats entertainment

two lovers kissing at the scream of midnight
    two lovers missing the tranquility of solitude
    getting a cab and travelling on buses
    reading the grafitti about slashed seat affairs

thats entertainment
  • edited March 2006
    I do like Billy Bragg - a guy with integrity.
  • edited March 2006
    Intregrity is very rare these days. He's still a payed up member of the Labour Party.
    edited March 2006
    Oooooh! I've never heard of The Jam, but those were some good lyrics!

Jane's Addiction (one of the best band, I might add!)
    Song: Ted, Just Admit It
    Album: Nothing's Shocking

Camera got them images
    Camera got them all
    Nothing's shocking...
    Showed me everybody
    Naked and disfigured
    Nothing's shocking...
    And then he came
    Now sister's
    Not a virgin anymore
    Her sex is violent...

The T.V.'s got them images
    T.V.'s got them all
    It's not shocking!
    Every half an hour
    Someone's captured and
    The cop moves them along...
    It's just like the show before
    The news is
    Just another show
    With sex and violence...

Sex is violent...
    Sex is violent...
    Sex is violent...
    Sex is violent...
    Sex is violent...
    Sex is violent...
    Sex is violent!

I am the killer of people
    You look like a meatball
    I'll throw away your toothpick
    And ask for your giveness

Because of this thing!
    Because of this thing!
    Because of this thing!

That's in me
    Is it not in you?
    Is it not your problem?
    A baby to a mother...

You talk too much
    To your scapegoat
    That's what I say
    He tells you everyone is stupid
    That's what he thinks!

Snapshots
    Make a girl look cheap
    Like a tongue extended
    A baby's to a mother

Sex is violent!
    Sex is violent!
    Sex is violent!
    Sex is violent!

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    MMMM Billy Bragg.

BIG FAN!

I've seen him on three occasions here in Australia, but the last time he got a little outside his scope of concern-I think, he was discussing Australian politics with the audience, by stating that our primeminister was doing the same as Margaret Thatcher did to England! well at that point he lost me, firstly he was nothing like thatcher and secondly he did NOTHING at all like her-perhaps he should have?! anyway, Billy, leave the politics of your country with your own people-it just doesn't relate to what goes on here in Australia-mate.

Still, I'm still his biggest fan-St Swithins day is the best song he's written-In my opinion.

regards,
    XRAY

P.S. St. Swithin's Day Lyrics below.

Thinking back now,
    I suppose you were just stating your views
    What was it all for
    For the weather or the battle of agincourt
    And the times that we all hoped would last
    Like a train they have gone by so fast
    And though we stood together
    At the edge of the platform
    We were not moved by them

With my own hands
    When i make love to your memory
    It's not the same
    I miss the thunder
    I miss the rain
    And the fact that you don't understand
    Casts a shadow over this land
    But the sun still shines from behind it.

Thanks all the same
    But i just can't bring myself to answer your letters
    It's not your fault
    But your honesty touches me like a fire
    The polaroids that hold us together
    Will surely fade away
    Like the love that we spoke of forever
    On st swithin's day
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    Billy Bragg and Jane's Addiction, both absolute diamonds!

But if I had to choose one album for a deserted island it would have to be "Ritual de lo Habitual". One of the greatest albums ever recorded and not a week goes by when I don't think of "Ain't no right, Ain't no wrong". Don't remember if that's even the title of the song but I love it because it keeps my mind limber. (Don't even know if I have the title of the album right.)

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited April 2006
    :hair: "Ritual de lo Habitual" this sounds like a euphamism for something a little distasteful
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited April 2006
    It is, Xray. It's about Perry Farrel's friend Jane who was a prostitute addicted to drugs. She died, I think. Very sad. That's why he named the band Jane's Addiction.

Brigid