Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

God versus The Buddha

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited March 2007 in Faith & Religion
how about this theory...

Buddha was a man about 2500 years ago who found enlightenment.

Jesus was in a similar vein. God is also looking after us all (If you care to believe that).

I don't believe the two are mutually exclusive.

My mrs. prays to god.
I pray to have the same wisdom and insight of the buddha.

regards,
X

Comments

• edited February 2006
    Thankfully the universe is oblivious to our beliefs. :buck:
  • edited February 2006
    Quote from Terry Pratchett - the witches acknowleded that gods existed, of course they did, but they didn't believe in them, that would be like believing in the postman."
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Damn. I thought this was gonna start out with:

L E T ' S G E T R E A D Y T O R U M B L E ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Luckily for me, it's not an issue that I find I have to deal with. I have no idea what is going on on a grander scale regarding Hungry Ghosts, God, gods, Heaven, Hell, Nirvana, Hades, Nothingness, etc.

I just work on the "now". Althought I may regret it at the Pearly Gates, I'm just working on the "now".

-bf
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I'm Buddhist.

I think I'm an OK Buddhist.

It's the way God made me, you know.... :)
  • edited February 2006
    Sometimes, I guess I am not so sure that God is looking after us all. I'd like to believe there is a god, but I just don't know right now. What really gets to me is when babies or kids are born with diseases or deformaties, etc.....what could that baby possibly have done wrong to deserve such a thing? That's what bothers me the most - I just don't get it. If there really is a God, then I really have a hard time understanding why he/she does the things he/she does!! I might be in trouble when it is my turn at the pearly gates, but I just try to live a good life, be kind and compassionate to others and I just hope that gets me through!
    edited February 2006
    Ahhh... grasshoppah...

You hope that your good life, kindness and compassion gets you through to what?!?!

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    I hope that if there is a heaven, it will get me through the gates. But really, I just believe in karma, so I just hope what I am doing now will work out for me in "my next life". :)
  • edited February 2006
    I remember an old quote which went

"If there is a God, and yes, some say there is,
    how come little children die"

My theory is, God cannot exist because - compassion increases with wisdom. As such, a supremely wise being (as God would be) would be supremely compassionate. And as such if He did exist, nobody would suffer.

Since so many people ARE suffering, I have to concur that, even if God does exist, he can do nothing to help those who are suffering. As such, he is not all powerful and all capable, and as such, he is not God, nor does He exist...

Just my little pet theory... hope I'm not offending anyone...
  • edited February 2006
    I love what you just said! You sound a lot like my husband! :) I agree with you completely.
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Hope, YogaMama, Xrayman, and All:

I hate to be the kinda person who feels he has to comment on everything, but this is a matter that I cannot keep silence on. Very briefly put:

First, who ever definitively said that God never suffers himself? The old scholastic idea of the divine being containing all perfections, would entail that God would also have experienced perfect suffering, too. Perhaps that's why God, who was once the only "one," chose to become many, by creating the universe to be an extension of himself...

Second, who has ever proven that suffering is all-bad and deserving of all our disapproval? I mean, arguably it's a testing-ground to improve our mettle and our compassion.

Thirdly, Orthodox Christians believe in the "theosis" or "deification" of humanity. Christ admonishes in his sermon on the mount (Mt 5:48): "Be Ye Perfect, even as your Father in Heaven."

NOT THAT BELIEF IN GOD IS NECESSARILY HELPFUL. We know that's certainly not the case. BUT IF IT HELPS SOMEONE BE MORE ONE-POINTED, let's not worry about it. The universe may, indeed, be oblivious to our beliefs, as may any GODHEAD be also, but works and practices grounded in helpful, loving traditions will surely make us sounder instruments of right living.
    ---
  • edited February 2006
    Nirvana wrote:
    Hope, YogaMama, Xrayman, and All:

NOT THAT BELIEF IN GOD IS NECESSARILY HELPFUL. We know that's certainly not the case. BUT IF IT HELPS SOMEONE BE MORE ONE-POINTED, let's not worry about it. The universe may, indeed, be oblivious to our beliefs, as may any GODHEAD be also, but works and practices grounded in helpful, loving traditions will surely make us sounder instruments of right living.
    ---

For someone trying to wake up, there is more involved than being one pointed. For that reason belief in a deity is seen as ultimately a cause of suffering, as well as a manifestation of the delusion of separation. The point is not whether a belief is good or bad, but that all beliefs are a hindrance. If you know, there is no need to believe, if you believe, you do not know and beliefs are used to paper over what is unknown, rather than being simply honest about not knowing. For this reason, Buddhism involves letting go of all beliefs, no matter how good or noble they may seem to be.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I believe you... :)
  • edited February 2006
    LOL!
  • edited February 2006
    Ditto on ZG: when one experiences any state of knowing, that overrides belief.

Regarding the original post, I believe that the experiences of Buddhas (Christ being one) are the same and available to everyone. The diffference is that Western religion says you must start from a point of 'faith'...believe enough (we are told) and you will know. The slippery slope to 'defending the faith' and fanatacism.

Then there is...find out for yourself (Buddhism)...and here are a couple of suggestions on how you might make the journey.
  • edited February 2006
    Well put.
    edited February 2006
    (Bet he didn't cut and paste....:-/ ) :grin::lol:
  • edited February 2006
    Just something i sometimes think about...

If when i die i get to the pearl gates and god does come out and say something like 'you have this one chance to renounce your previous beliefs and worship me'. Would you be able to stand up for what you think is right or would you submit your will to the supreme being?

i know it's one of those metaphysical questions that just distract but it's a thought i've had since a kid and it would be my Gethsemane.

Now remember god has just proved himself to you and has the power to send you to eternal damnation for a wrong answer. i think i'd brick it.
    edited February 2006
    twobitbob wrote:
    If when i die i get to the pearly gates and god does come out and say something like 'you have this one chance to renounce your previous beliefs and worship me'. Would you be able to stand up for what you think is right or would you submit your will to the supreme being?

The FIRST thing I'd do is make God PROVE that I wasn't hallucinating. Now, that may take a couple million years, but if THAT GREAT object of my perception was really God, he'd have plenty of time to prove who he really is. I'd be ashamed to be afraid of a mere impostor or one of my own hallucinations.

I don't think God would be so insecure as to be dependent on my beliefs for his own ego-gratification. Nor do I believe, as I've heard a Holy Woman once said, that God would be so stingy as to have only one revelation of himself.

Furthermore, Buddha never claimed to be a god, therefore, how can he be misconstrued as a "false" god?

Glory to the Buddha, glory to the Dharma, and peace on the Sangha!

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    "All my works seem like straw after what I have seen"

Thomas Aquinas, the Angelic Doctor and author of the Summa Theologica.
  • becomethesignalbecomethesignal Explorer
    edited February 2006
    Perhaps not everything that happens to an individual is a result of something they've done. I think fate plays a part in what happens to people, like an innocent child dieing or having a disease. It isn't that the child deserves it but rather, we live in an imperfect world, hence imperfection.
  • edited February 2006
    I believe in a pantheistic binding force that holds the universe together and connects everything as a whole. This force (call it God, Nirvana, Karma, Allah, whatever you want) wants us to live our lives while it serves its purpose.

That's just my personal belief.
    edited February 2006
    I believe in a pantheistic binding force that holds the universe together and connects everything as a whole. This force (call it God, Nirvana, Karma, Allah, whatever you want) wants us to live our lives while it serves its purpose.

That's just my personal belief.

So this force has a will of its own?
  • edited February 2006
    So this force has a will of its own?
    It's not a creator. It's more of a universal glue.:thumbsup:
    edited February 2006
    It's not a creator. It's more of a universal glue.:thumbsup:

And does the glue know what it wants? Does it even know it exists?
  • edited February 2006
    It knows it's purpose and exists to serve that purpose. It knows nothing else.
    edited February 2006
    twobitbob wrote:
    If when i die i get to the pearly gates and God does come out and say something like "you have this one chance to renounce your previous beliefs and worship me." Would you be able to stand up for what you think is right or would you submit your will to the supreme being?
    I tried to say this in an earlier post: If you believe in a selfish, demanding God who willfully insists that his creatures perform in prescribed ways at all times, and who is "growing" them to reap a harvest in which he will separate the "wheat from the chaff," &c., then count me as a complete, unrepentant Atheist. I responded to this same quote in a joking way earlier, because I thought it was perhaps made in jest. I still don't understand the Pilgrim's koan-like thing about some of Thomas Aquinas's last words, but have to let it go.

The classical Christian God and the Buddha do not inhabit completely discrete and non-overlapping functions or realms, as it were. I believe the theistic approach is simply more materialist and hierarchical and the Buddhist approach more intuitive, practical, and serene.

I know that this Willful "Almighty God" persona is often taught and understood to be the "Big Guy Upstairs," but that is certainly not the teaching of Jesus, who believed in the Loving Fatherhood of God, the Brotherhood of man, and the free and equal participation of the companion spirit. BTW, in Thich Nhat Hahn's The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, p 127, he mentioned God, nirvana, and the world of no-birth and no-death as components of the ultimate dimension, in his chapter dealing with relative truth and ultimate truth, the chapter we're reviewing now. I realize he's speaking from a position intended to be understood by persons of many different religious backgrounds, but still, he obviously must think the idea of an Egoist God completely absurd.

The Infanta, do you mean panentheistic, "God in Everything?" Pantheism means, "Everything is God or a god," which entails a very different thing, hard to mesh with the way we really see things (when not using peyote). I suspect that if you're thinking about a universal glue, you're not pantheistic, but panentheistic. Panentheism is found in all the mystical theistic religions. A google search could be most enlightening.

Let's say, for the sake of argument, that this "glue" is the compassion of Amita Buddha. Would that make any sense to you?

Nirvana
    ---
  • edited June 2006
    id like god to exist but i find it all .. to hard to believe

leme think .. fiction of dubious origins detailing dubious events
    i view God as a placebo.. lets all visit fairy land where everything will be happy. You're not really happy you are fooling yourself.. which isn't real happiness

vs a wise guy that actually exsited.. that says stuff that makes sense and helps ppl live and therefore be happy for real

as for nirvana.. im not going to answer that.. i have no clue
    and superstitous feelings of God's and glue.. is natural when you are raised in such an enviroment as a sigh... 'Christian' or 'Muslim' .. 'Hindu' or w/e
  • edited June 2006
    Nirvana wrote:

BTW, in Thich Nhat Hahn's The Heart of the Buddha's Teaching, p 127, he mentioned God, nirvana, and the world of no-birth and no-death as components of the ultimate dimension, in his chapter dealing with relative truth and ultimate truth, the chapter we're reviewing now. I realize he's speaking from a position intended to be understood by persons of many different religious backgrounds, but still, he obviously must think the idea of an Egoist God completely absurd.

I believe he is acknowledging the "Concept" of God as a component of ultimate reality, as your concept that there is "no God" is a component of ultimate reality. It's an acknowledgement with compassion to those who believe their concepts are reality, rather than a product of the mind to help them come to state of Nirvana which is an extinguishing of all concepts and mental formations. OOPS, I'm espousing another concept, MY BAD! LOL
  • edited June 2006
    i know that 'it can help ppl' but its like this.. its a flawed system and its not truth

the practise can help ppl but the system is a damaged thing and the thought process behind it is impaired and limited.. kinda like windows 1.0

hmm i just say form a collective point of view.. and from all sides..

logic and so on.. theres too many flaws

God's comes across as imperfect in Genesis, The concept of God is based on Good and Evil which doesnt exist, let alone heaven and hell.

Fantasy vs Reality .. Belief vs Truth.. Stubborness vs Open-ness

Christian Teaching doesnt tell you how to live.. its just stories with very open meanings, They can't be relied upon, neither can 'God'.. By doing this what i see is someone who is following blindly and holding onto say a very bad road.. simply because its the only one they know off... what they need to do is broaden their udnerstanding and paths.. Have a look around them

You don't settle for the first thing you see.. You look about first or you will end up with a piece of trash most likely

the more i think about things the clearer they become.. its the thought of God existing that annoys me not the ppl. The system is damaged but the process can help
  • edited June 2006
    I guess we all have our own windmills to chase.

Does knowing it's an illusion make you any less part of it?
  • edited June 2006
    Don Quixote! cough

being part of christianity?

I'm not a christian... and surely if u are one and you know its an illusion.. how can you truely follow it? you're just dreaming .. imagining your nitemare is bliss
    edited June 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    Don Quixote! cough

being part of christianity?

I'm not a christian... and surely if u are one and you know its an illusion.. how can you truely follow it? you're just dreaming .. imagining your nitemare is bliss

More seriously, is it not your own anger and spleen which are the nightmare, Celebrin? Let go and laugh.
  • edited June 2006
    I think that if we acknowledge that "we don't choose the path, the path chooses us", then we have to see the possibility that the "path" isn't going to be within the same religion (or non-religion) for everyone, and that it doesn't make other paths, or those on them, lesser, or our path, or us, better.

I see a lot of antagonism from atheists, both within and outside of buddhism, toward people who believe in or follow a god. Religion becomes a scapegoat for everything wrong, and the accusations toward religion are often the very same that they claim religion directs at others.
  • edited June 2006
    Sorry if i was unclear Celebrin,

i meant all the contructs we create are illusions, including christianity and buddhism. Difference is buddhism acknowledges this.
  • edited June 2006
    mm religion directs the issue of morals at athetists

i was reading the tibetan book of living or dieing.. and somewhere near the start he says that the first thing buddhist teachers ask a potential student is whther they believe in the after life.. if thet don't then they have low morals and this that

i find that gravely insulting.. sorry if ive taken it the wrong way but not believing in the after life has little to do with morals..

rapists murderers .. w/e are everywhere its part of human nature

from other posts you all know there are buddhists in the USA army.. you all know about westboro cathedral practising their klu klux clan stuff..

i direct the issues of morals at no one .. and although i say christianity doesnt help ppl.. this is my belief from living and being brought up in a 'christian' society.. i know that i cant say that 100% its the right view.. but its the nearest to the truth i can be atm

using up all resources without thought of the future, being materialistic.. not knowing how to live.. being scared of death.. being ignorant of race and creed are all things i link to christianity and further more society itself in the UK.. the athetists are like a forgotten/abandonned part of a big nasty christian teaching

buddhism i accept easily.. although i have a question i'l ask somewhere else

but honestly what use is a religion that doesnt help ppl except on 'faith' alone.. depression,death,ignorance ,fear you name it all goes untreated.. id be fine if christianity was of any use.. in my own world..

all i see is ppl whinging day in and out.. ppl scared of everything.. ppl who have horrific defensive eyes that feel like they are being attacked...and i want to help them but honestly do you want to attempt to talk to ppl like that? i feel like a retard teaching a monkey how to build and mantain a fusion reactor.. why would i try? these christians.. i can't help them and they can't help themselves
    edited June 2006
    :confused:

-bf
    edited June 2006
    Celebrin wrote:

i was reading the tibetan book of living or dieing.. and somewhere near the start he says that the first thing buddhist teachers ask a potential student is whther they believe in the after life.. if thet don't then they have low morals and this that

i find that gravely insulting.. sorry if ive taken it the wrong way but not believing in the after life has little to do with morals..

Scanned my copy...can't find what you're referring to..... care to be more specific? I think you may be mistaken as to your source or interpretation....
    AS for the remainder of your post....

:confused: -bf - and ditto to that!
  • edited June 2006
    Tibetan book of living and dieing - In the mirror of death p9

"do you believe in a life after this one? They are not being asked whether they believe in it as philosophical proposition,but whether they feel it deep in their heart.The master knows that if people believe in life after this one, their whole outlook on life will be different,and they will have a distinct sense of personal responsibility and morality.What the masters must suspect is that there is a danger that people who have no strong belief in a life afte rthis one will create a society fixated on short term results,without much thought for the consequences of their actions.Could this be the major reason why we created a brutal world like the one in which we are now living, a world with little compasson?"

in a short reply and from my previous post the answer is no... people not taught how to live cannot be expected as a mass to achieve a high sense of morality.. in conclusion i put this to christianity.. you don't teach anyone to live

people are people wherever you are and wherever you go. religion.. spiritual beliefs do not change this.. the way they live their lifes does
    edited June 2006
    Here are some words from Lama Neldjorpa Sherab:
    Par la réalisation du Parfait Eveil, l'enseignement du Bouddha Shakyamouni consistait à établir une cohésion entre trois principes indissociables d'une voie spirituelle. Ce sont la Vue, la Pratique et la Conduite.
    (My translation: When he was teaching about Perfect Awakening, the Buddha Shakyamuni demonstrated the interdependence of three essential principles of a spiritual path: the View, a Practice and Conduct.)

When you read Sogyal Rinpoche, Celebrin, it may be useful to remember that he comes from a culture which has as firm a belief in 'life-after-death' as we do in our 'rights'. If you have a firm faith in no-life-after-death, Sogyal may not be the writer for you. Alternatively, you may want to transpose what he says about 'after-death' into a less metaphysical notion: what the teacher is looking for is a sense of responsibility and of ethical behaviour: an awareness that our words and actions, arising from our mind, have effects for which we must take responsibility. Only with this sense can we move forward into the Practice which will inform our Conduct.

The practice of meditation leads, if followed with appropriate assiduity, to many increased abilities. A responsible teacher will want to ensure the intention of the pupil: the same techniques can make concentration camp guards into better - and more effective - guards. Not the outcome sought, I believe.
  • edited June 2006
    i just dont think he's being open-minded here.. believing in life after death has little to do with your morals and violent behavior..

i fully accept his origins.. but as a buddhist who obviously is quite popular i would expect him to be more understanding.. and not say things like this which are clearly not
    edited June 2006
    Celebrin wrote:
    i just dont think he's being open-minded here.. believing in life after death has little to do with your morals and violent behavior..

i fully accept his origins.. but as a buddhist who obviously is quite popular i would expect him to be more understanding.. and not say things like this which are clearly not

They may be "clearly not" to you, Celebrin. Would you be prepared to admit that they may be "clearly so" to some other people? And that there are people like me, who are trying to be as honest as we can be in the face of currently-understood evidence, to whom it is so unclear as to be neither so nor not-so?
    edited January 2007
    I don't understand too many of these posts, and I don't question their integrity.
    But I do wonder what sect of Atheist would be interested in this particular discussion.
    I don't recognize Woody Allen's sect.

Can anyone enlighten me?
    If it turns out that there is a God, I don't think that he's evil. But the worst
    that you can say about him is that basically
    he's an underachiever.

—Woody Allen
  • edited March 2007
    Oddly enough, Lord Buddha often spoke about the Gods in numerous sutras. The existance of Gods does not seem to be denied within the Pali Cannon. Infact, even in the Dhammapada, The Buddha said quite clearly that the God Indra would protect the Dhamma from attack, and protect those following the Dharma. However, Gods are of little use int he realisation of enlightenment.

Incidently, the term 'atheist' was first used by the Romans, to describe the early Christians, who refused to worship the numerous Gods of the Roman pantheon. As they preferred a single amorphous God - the Roman authorities referred to them as 'atheist'. Atheists (that is, early 'Christians') refused to visit the Roman Temples, and were viewed as a threat to the fabric of Roman society - hence their persecution at the hands of the Romans.

When Rome became Christian under Constantine, the previously oppressed Christians suddenly found themselves in a position of power, and immediately went on the offensive, spreading external Christianity (at the expense of Christian Gnosticism), and anyother non-Christian sect, etc. Anyone who did not worship the monotheistic God of Christianity was referred to as an 'atheist'. A Roman legal term that was once used to refer to those who refused to worship the recognised Roman Gods - was changed by the Christians, to refer to anyone who did not worship their God.

The inherited concepts we work with today, often have unusual or unexpected origins.

Thank you.
    edited March 2007
    You are quite right, bhante. And when the Romans were still scratching their fleas on a dungheap in Latium, the 'civilised' Athenians condemned Socrates to death for 'atheism'. In the sense of his accuser Meletus, I suppose it is quite possible to call the Buddha (or, even, quite a few Christians) 'atheist': acknowledging 'divine influences' but unable to name the 'gods'.

The word is Greek, of course, using the same prefix a-- that is found in Sanskrit and Pali to denote a negative.

It is only from the European Renaissance and, in particular, from the Enlightenment that we have the absolutist meaning of the word.
  • edited March 2007
    And when the Romans were still scratching their fleas on a dungheap in Latium, the 'civilised' Athenians condemned Socrates to death for 'atheism'. In the sense of his accuser Meletus, I suppose it is quite possible to call the Buddha (or, even, quite a few Christians) 'atheist': acknowledging 'divine influences' but unable to name the 'gods'.

The word is Greek, of course, using the same prefix a-- that is found in Sanskrit and Pali to denote a negative.

It is only from the European Renaissance and, in particular, from the Enlightenment that we have the absolutist meaning of the word.

Very interesting. Of course, when Socrates is supposed to have committed suicide (399BC), the Romans were about 100 years into their 'Rupublic' era (509BC-59BC, or there abouts). And far from idle, either culturally, or politically. Like the Greeks, the Romans practiced a pantheistic religion.

Socrates, as far as the sources reveal, was charged with 'impiety', rather than 'atheisim'. And there is an important distinction between the two concepts, both philosophically and legally.

The Greek concept of 'atheos' (lat: 'atheism'), literally translates as 'no God', or possibly 'non-God'. However, as ancient Greece was pantheistic, the early meaning of 'atheism' seldom referred to a blanket 'disbelief' in a divine concept, but was used to emphasis a lack of belief in a particular God - and not the 'God' concept per se. In short, one could be termed an 'atheist' in ancient Greece and Rome, but still believe in a God, etc. The modern usage, as you rightly say, is relatively new in concept, and is used to refer to a lack of belief in a mono-theistic God, such as that found in Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Atheism here literally means 'no God'.

Impiety, on the other hand, is a specific legal term of ancient Greece, and was considered a very grave crime. Impiety referred to a 'lack of respect' being shown to the Gods, in their respective temples. Impiety does not suggest or imply 'atheism'. Disbelief in the Gods, is not the main emphasis of this concept or legal charge, and Socrates was not the only person to sentenced to death for this crime. Whether the charge was correct of course, is another matter.

From this perspective, the Lord Buddha could not have been termed an 'atheist', as He never said that Gods do not exist. His philosophical position was unique, in as much as He did not emphasis worship of any God as a method to salvation. Infact, He spoke numerously about the Hindu pantheon (see Francis Story's Essays on Buddhist Cosmology and related subjects - The Anagarika Sugatananda). Buddhism does not deny God, but does not rely upon the concept either.

Thank you.
    edited March 2007
    This thread's title always makes me see this image of the Buddha just serenely sitting there, with a big bully warlord punching at him. I never see the face of the "God," but Buddha's face has a kinda unchanging mischievous smile on it.

The thread's title makes me visualize a kind of Buddha to whom the Idea of a "God" is really beside the point. Sorta like those old animated Charlie Brown TV shows, where only the bottom third of adults were shown and their voices sorta drifted up and away, too dispersed as to be intelligible.

Just finally got around to sharing this perception of mine.

Very Kind Regards to ALL, regardless of beliefs or opinions.

Nirvana
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited March 2007
    Exactly the point, Nirvy. Whether the Buddha believed in a god or gods is entirely beside the point. His path is nontheistic, which is not the same thing as atheistic. He just said it's irrelevant to the path he taught. One must seek one's own liberation and not depend on some external deity to "save" one.

Actually the title of this thread reminds me of the time Jesus and Satan had a wrestling match on South Park. But then I have a very, very strange mind!

Palzang