Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The 5 poisons

edited September 2011 in Philosophy
Do u has it?

I do? My teacher just pwnt me again about it :(

When u realised ur just another "bad" person with Anger, Greed, Ignorance/Delusion, Arrogance, and Doubt, what do you plan to do it about it?

How will metaphysics help you weed these out?

Comments

• I has it. :-\ *especially* anger and ignorance.

Time, patience, hard work.

I don't have a teacher (I probably will one day), but the way I understand it is that meditation and study go hand in hand, and takes time to sink in. Add to that everyday routines and occurrence which become a way of practice also, particularly compassion. Wisdom and compassion work hand in hand, one without the other is impotent. At least that is how I understand it at the moment.

I imagine we all over-emphasise one side of things over the other, but that with practice wisdom and compassion can begin to balance out.
  • Yeah. I've got 'em. The one that has tended to cause the most trouble is anger. I don't exaggerate when I say that at different time in my life, the intensity of my hatred has manifested as a near physical pain, and has actually damaged my health.

Thing is, something really important has changed in the last few years. I've always sort of instinctively understood this, but it really CLICKED at some point: my hatred is really just a distorted, twisted mirror image of the intense love that I feel in my innermost heart. My disappointment and bitterness towards people and things is what happens when my love becomes confused and conditional. But its unconditional source is not extinguished, no matter how sickened I become by this toxic byproduct.

I still struggle with hatred and wrath. But I'm trying to transform it into something else by gripping it tightly when it arises, and tracing it back to its ultimate source. I hope to transform pitch black into deep blue. This is one of the reasons why the wrathful deities of the Vajrayana have such significance to me.
  • I struggle with EGO, all the time. I tend to not be angry, judgmental, or (fill in the blank), but my EGO is always holding me back. But, at the same time...I can use the identification of this happening as a learning experience; and better myself for it. At least I can identify it as it happens...I guess haha.

_/|\_