Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Defining Buddhism

edited February 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Dear Friends

Im looking for a smile definition of Buddhism, what would be the best way to describe the core of Buddhism in a few sentences or a paragraph?

I'm asking because sometimes non-Buddhist friends ask me to describe or explain Buddhism and while I do have some ideas I don't have a simple concise way of explaining the core essense of the Dhamma....

Some descriptions I've come up with include:

"Buddhism describes the nature of life (suffering), the cause of suffering, and the path to cessation of suffering"

id really appreciate any suggestions...

Comments

• edited February 2006
    hope wrote:

"Buddhism describes the nature of life (suffering), the cause of suffering, and the path to cessation of suffering"

That sounds pretty good to me!

When asked you could just get all Zen on them and say "The plum tree in the garden", smile enigmatically and walk off!
  • edited February 2006
    LOL
  • edited February 2006
    Buddhism is about seeing things as they are, letting go of beliefs, opinions and ideas of how things are.
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2006
    hope,
    To avoid all evil, to cultivate good, and to cleanse one's mind — this is the teaching of the Buddhas. - Dhp XIV.231

:)

Jason
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Buddhism is about seeing things as they are, letting go of beliefs, opinions and ideas of how things are.
    That's very good, and I'm assuming that "opinions" include letting go of "ideas how things SHOULD BE."

However, not being quick on my feet, as our good friend Genryu is, I'd simply say:

Life is suffering, everybody is suffering; therefore be kind and understanding.
    ---
  • edited February 2006
    Nirvana wrote:
    That's very good, and I'm assuming that "opinions" include letting go of "ideas how things SHOULD BE."

However, not being quick on my feet, as our good friend Genryu is, I'd simply say:

Life is suffering, everybody is suffering; therefore be kind and understanding.
    ---

Dear friends
    I really appreciate your answers. If you have any more thoughts.. please do tell.
    As a sidenote, this gives me a way to see how each of you sees Buddhism

Again, thank you for sharing
    Hope
  • edited February 2006
    hope wrote:

As a sidenote, this gives me a way to see how each of you sees Buddhism

Hope

As a footnote - that makes it sound like the contributors are specimens being examined under a microscope.
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    As a footnote - that makes it sound like the contributors are specimens being examined under a microscope.

*blush*.. ahem.. sorry :)

now quit twitching. I need to examine your mitochondrial dna :)
  • edited February 2006
    hope wrote:
    *blush*.. ahem.. sorry :)

now quit twitching. I need to examine your mitochondrial dna :)

not twitching at all - not contributing, no worries
  • edited February 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    not twitching at all - not contributing, no worries
    Wicked! You have it down to an art. :)
  • edited February 2006
    I've read that Shunryu Suzuki said that the teachings of buddhism can be summarised in three words:

"Not always so".

I don't suppose it's much use as an explanation for friends who have no knowledge of buddhism, but I like it.

Martin.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    "Things are not what they seem – nor are they otherwise…….."

(Lankavatara Sutra)
  • edited February 2006
    hope wrote:
    Dear Friends

Im looking for a smile definition of Buddhism, what would be the best way to describe the core of Buddhism in a few sentences or a paragraph?

I'm asking because sometimes non-Buddhist friends ask me to describe or explain Buddhism and while I do have some ideas I don't have a simple concise way of explaining the core essense of the Dhamma....

Some descriptions I've come up with include:

id really appreciate any suggestions...

The art of living and dying.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    The art of living and dying.

As with all art, there is craft to be learned. Some artists will be geniuses, others simple craft-folk.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I'm a bodger....

(And before you come in Simon... I KNOW what a bodger used to be, as opposed to what it now defines....!)
    I'll spend eighteen hours putting a simple four legged, square wooden table together, and still end up with firewood....!
  • edited February 2006

As with all art, there is craft to be learned. Some artists will be geniuses, others simple craft-folk.

Oh good - hope it's like knitting and not marquetry!
  • edited February 2006

With neither producing work or greater or lesser value.

:)