Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How do you forgive?

edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
How do you forgive someone who has wronged you? How do you forgive someone who has hurt you so bad, you want to hurt them back, but don't?

My little sister is usually very rude to me (to the point where I do so much for her and, in turn, she talks to me like a dog and says hurtful things) and I usually don't say anything back. But recently, the anger and frustration at the way she treats me and talks to me has been spilling out. It honestly hurts to hear a sister talk about you the way she does to me. So much so that I've cried about it more times than I care to count. I've tried not doing anything, I've tried talking to her and asking her to be nicer (which always ends up in a giant fight), but it never worked. So I've been doing things tit for tat. When she does or says something hurtful, I would say or do it back. It escalated to the point where there is a hole in the bathroom door and I deleted her homework.

I am entirely ashamed of my actions, because that isn't me. I'm not the kind of person who hurts others because they did something to hurt me. Now I just want to know how to forgive her, because the only reason I am acting this way is because I haven't forgiven her for anything she's done to me. So stands the question: how do you forgive someone? What does the Buddha say about forgiveness, and how it is achieved?

Thanks

Comments

• Learn to love unconditionally, a love without any expectation of receiving anything in return. A love without prejudice. With a love as strong as this, comes the wisdom that there is never a need to forgive.
  • The previous suggestion can sound all beautiful, but it's not really simple as that, as you might have experienced yourself.
    This situation could be solved with higher levels of awareness, which would give you the ability to "see through" her actions. Usually the people who hurt others are actually suffering a lot themselves. So once you are able to see the true meaning of her actions, your negative feelings would get swapped with compassionate and accepting feelings instead.

Daily meditation could be very beneficial in this situation.
  • How do you forgive someone who has wronged you? How do you forgive someone who has hurt you so bad, you want to hurt them back, but don't?
    What does the Buddha say about forgiveness, and how it is achieved?

Thanks
    I don't know about Buddha but I am saying this for myself. I don't forgive and I don't try to hurt either. I just live on.

• I am entirely ashamed of my actions, because that isn't me. I'm not the kind of person who hurts others because they did something to hurt me. Now I just want to know how to forgive her, because the only reason I am acting this way is because I haven't forgiven her for anything she's done to me. So stands the question: how do you forgive someone? What does the Buddha say about forgiveness, and how it is achieved?

Thanks
    You might want to start by forgiving yourself. None of us is perfect and it's easy to lash out at those close to us when we feel they are being unreasonable. That said, punching holes in walls and sabotaging her homework is obviously not a reasonable or constructive response. Have you considered mediation? Is there a family member who can intervene and be trusted to calm the situation down?

You might also want to research how to deal with people assertively, rather than passively or aggressively. Here are a couple of worthwhile links:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/assertive/SR00042
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/14699-improving-assertive-behavior/

As for forgiving your sister, Metta meditation might help you develop a more forgiving spirit. Here is a good description of how to do this particular meditation:

http://info.med.yale.edu/psych/3s/metta.html

Also, here is a forgiveness meditation from the Venerable Ayya Khema:

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/forgiveness.htm

Alan