Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Crazy Hermit Buddhism

edited February 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Once upon a time in a forest lived a crazy hermit who made healing potion that can cure the gravely sick and give them back vitality and happiness.

All the folks from the village would come and offer the crazy hermit alms and in return, they was rewarded with healing potions that helped them live long, happy and peaceful lives.

Then one day, sensing his imminent passing, he surmoned the villagers and he told them that he would like to pass on his secret to whoever pass his test.

As it turns out, noone passed the test. The crazy hermit passed away, but he left the healing potion recipe in his hut. A greedy merchant happened to travel by the hut, and seeing that the crazy hermit has died, the merchant took the recipe and learned the secret how to make the magic potion. The merchant thought to himself: 'now I can make the potion and I will sell it for lots and lots of money...........hahahahahah, this old fool died and left me the gold, Whahahahahahahhhah!!'.

Once again, as it turned out, the merchant made the potion as per the recipe described and he drank it to see how effective the potion is. He suffered a massive convulsion and died.

Well, what you know, the village folks came and saw the dead merchant. They reviewed the recipe and found that..........the merchant, while in haste to make potential profits, forgot to read the footnote warning that only those who are free of the three poisons of GREED, ANGER and FOLLY are qualified to make the potion. Anyone else who still got the three poisons in his/her mind will make the potion deadly.

BTW, just sign up yesterday..........I like the forum so far, hope you enjoy the story!

:rockon:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Welcome Nam... nice tale... don't forget to go to our new members' thread and pop in and share!

Nice to see you! :)