Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Frozen by Nonexpectation

YishaiYishai Veteran
edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
In buddhism, we are told that we should not expect things to be different than they are because this causes suffering. Only by accepting the present do we finally end the suffering of expectation.

As a layperson, how can we shed expectation? Expectation drives us to set goals. We strive to improve our current life standing, perhaps to better provide for ourselves. Without setting a goal to work toward, we cannot progress toward it. You must first set your sights on where you want to be. How can we lose expectation and not be paralyzed into a stagnant life. You'd no longer want to go out with friends and have a good time because you're perfectly content in your present situation. There is no reason to move beyond this. No reason to move at all. ????

Don't we always need to think one step ahead to move into the future? By thinking one step ahead, don't we make an expectation of what that future is?

Comments

• Desire and expectation seem to be inextricably linked to the living of life and operation in reality.
  • you have to first totally accept the situation at hand, then from there you can do something about it.

because if you're not accepting then you're reacting and that creates more problems even though you think you're doing the right thing. you have to always come from "no stance" which is a total acceptance of what is.

this isn't pacifism. in actuality it is complete action moment to moment. one who does not hold onto anything allows everything to enter and leave. those who grasp hold on and cause many problems.

if there is something obvious you can do, then the natural way is to do it. contentment is important and should be cultivated first, then when you overflow you can help people.

but to contradict with everything i am saying. sometimes it is better to fake it. sometimes we aren't content thus we take the bodhisattva vows and aim to awaken. morality and compassionate action create the right soil for our bodhi mind to awaken.

but anyways. first totally accept. this is done by being in total consciousness. the act of seeing is in itself unconditional acceptance. from there if the house is burning, then we run out of the house. or if someone is hungry, we feed them.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Somebody comes into the Zen Center with a lighted cigarette, walks up to the Buddha-statue, blows smoke in its face and drops ashes on its lap. You are standing there. What can you do?

"This person has understood that nothing is holy or unholy. All things in the universe are one, and that one is himself. So everything is permitted. Ashes are Buddha; Buddha is ashes. The cigarette flicks. The ashes drop.

"But his understanding is only partial. He has not yet understood that all things are just as they are. Holy is holy; unholy is unholy. Ashes are ashes; Buddha is Buddha. He is very attached to emptiness and to his own understanding, and he thinks that all words are useless. So whatever you say to him, however you try to teach him, he will hit you. If you try to teach by hitting him back, he will hit you even harder. (He is very strong.)

"How can you cure his delusion?

"Since you are a Zen student, you are also a Zen teacher. You are walking on the path of the Bodhisattva, whose vow is to save all beings from their suffering. This person is suffering from a mistaken view. You must help him understand the truth: that all things in the universe are just as they are.

"How can you do this?

"If you find the answer to this problem, you will find the true way."

-Seung Sahn
  • I understand accepting the current moment. But how do we enter the next moment without expectation or desire?
  • taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited September 2011
    it isn't a matter of what we do. in just being, which is in a way open presence. allowing everything to be as it is and then even allowing the allowing of everything to be as it is. we do this by being present. when we are present we watch things come and go. a desire arises then it ceases. a expectation arises and then it ceases.

everything arises like a bubble. it comes and goes. we can grasp all we want, but nothing is actually graspable. all things are constantly in flux, whether good or bad, blissful or painful. with awareness we see clearly into the obvious.

the obvious is what the buddha described. he didn't speak from abstraction. he spoke from direct experience. thus we directly experience everything he has taught.

in being we can be totally receptive to what is. being is just allowing of all to arise and fall. watch all things. the watching itself is being. from there we stand in the neutral positive and from the spacious quality of being we can learn to respond to things rather than react. we can see clearly into the nature of ourselves and reality. that seeing itself is wisdom and such wisdom naturally breeds and expresses itself as compassion.

unless we are holding on. even to hold onto doing good will cause problems. move beyond both then clear action will arises naturally.

not sure this helps. but hope you find something of use. to be is not hard or easy. it is just your natural state when you are in relaxation. when you are open. when you are free. just accept what is. surrender. don't push or pull.

• @taiyaki great story, thank you for sharing. That is something to meditate on for sure.

@Yishai i think the point is to function based on the clarity we aquire from a buddhist practice. Currently, I simply try to not cling to my expectations and desires or to the suffering I experience when they aren't met.
  • even if you suffer, so what? it all comes and goes anyways!

that is freedom, do you not see it?
  • @taiyaki That is what I am referring to when I said "I try not to cling...to the suffering I experience..."
  • YishaiYishai Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Things arise, they come and go. It seems like the flux of activity, arising and ceasing, is movement. If we just note that things are just as they are, how do we move ourselves? Acceptance isn't a driving force. Acceptance doesn't cause action. Desire and expectation cause action.

It seems like the way to be happy is that we should not do anything. Eat, sleep, pay the bills. Do not try to change anything because we should not expect it to be different.
  • lol sorry! i read in chunks.
    but in the spirit of buddhism lets repeat it again.
    accept suffering and you have freedom.
  • desire and expectation are natural movements of mind.

when someone doesn't care for either winning or losing such a person always wins.

from the acceptance, you see clearly into what is. from seeing clearly IF not attached to this seeing, one can realize that all is what it is. suffering is suffering. compassion is compassion. the grass is GREEN. the sky is BLUE. sure it is all empty, but that shouldn't breed indifference.

indifference is negative. acceptance is positive. both are the same energy. one comes from a vast understanding of how reality functions and the other out of ignorance.

you can desire, expect, intend all you want to. as long as you understand and realize that it is all empty. as long as you see clearly. from that you can do what is right and what is right will happen naturally. even paying the bills or eating a sandwich.

I AM HUNGRY, so i eat. i am thirsty, so i drink.

i am HAPPY. so i feel happiness fully then SINCE I DON'T HOLD OR CLING TO IT. happiness comes and it goes naturally like all things.

everything has the same natural process. coming and going. when we don't cling we are utterly free. sure we all want to be happy and that is a desire, but such desire should be see through with wisdom, which is clear seeing. true happiness comes from contentment, which is total being. but even when being we must pay bills and live in this world. if we are truly being then there is no difference between movement and no movement. all is empty and all is free already.
  • Things arise, they come and go. It seems like the flux of activity, arising and ceasing, is movement. If we just note that things are just as they are, how do we move ourselves? Acceptance isn't a driving force. Acceptance doesn't cause action. Desire and expectation cause action.

It seems like the way to be happy is that we should not do anything. Eat, sleep, pay the bills. Do not try to change anything because we should not expect it to be different.
    You are part of that "arising and ceasing," do you need any other "driving force" than that? You should at the least take actions that reduce the suffering in existence.
  • lol have GREAT expectations!
    but be utterly hopeless!
  • Is there such a thing as skillful desire then? Desiring for the end of suffering for yourself and others. Desiring to provide for your family. Like that?
  • tmottestmottes Veteran
    edited September 2011
    @Yishai I would say yes there are skillful desires, thoughts, actions, etc. However from what I have read, this is transformed into compassion. Ceasing to come from an "I" or ego, it is no longer what it once was.
  • first we desire with ignorance, greed, and aversion.
    then we accept what is.
    then we desire with wisdom, compassion, love, peace.

desire is not the problem. it is grasping.

but yes there are good desires. the desire to free yourself and others from suffering. the desire to help others. the desire to feed your family and friends. the desire to be happy and to share such happiness with others.

desire all you want. it is a natural phenomena. but do not add to it, and do not cling. that is why it is very important to see clearly.
  • I can't help but concur with Taiyaki here.

Ta-Mei, on his deathbed, said: "When it comes, don’t try to to avoid it; when it goes, don’t run after it. There is only this, and nothing else."

The "This" spoken of here though is not a sort of nihilism however. We don't like "This"-- instead, we do cling to certain things, and we try to push other things away. Rather than being here and now, we live with delusions of how we want things to be-- and to remain that way always. We rarely ever get to know "This" because we are too occupied chasing after illusions.

Like Dogen often liked to say, "There is nothing extra."
  • In a similar vein, Zoketsu Norman Fischer, wrote this:

"The problem is that we actually are incapable of seeing zazen as useless because our minds can’t accept the fundamental genuineness and all-rightness of our lives. We are actually very resistant to this reality. We hate it because it is too simple and we persistently think we need more. This is not a detail or a quirk of our minds; it is not even a habit really; it is the deep nature of our minds. The Sanskrit word for consciousness is vijnana, which means to divide, or to cut. In order for us to have what we call experience we have to divide or cut reality. Genuineness or all-rightness is wholeness, indivisibility, so it can’t be an experience."

~ “A Coin in the River Is Found in the River” (from The Art of Sitting by John Daido Loori)
  • TheswingisyellowTheswingisyellow Trying to be open to existence Samsara Veteran
    Everything may be emptiness but what is your correct relationship to it.
    A child is crying what do you do?

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Rather than setting your sights on where you want to be, set your sights on where you are. On how you got there, and how your current perspective on life and actions will lead to either happiness or suffering (or if you're determined, peace).
  • "In our culture it is easy to confuse pleasure with happiness. Pleasure is derived from things like a fine meal, live theatre, a vacation, or a new car. The advertising industry, in fact our entire economy, is devoted to stoking our desire for new pleasures. While these things are enjoyable, and should be enjoyed, they are not the same as happiness. If we are not truly happy and we look to sensual pleasures for fulfillment, we will never find that spiritual completeness for which every human naturally longs. The desire for physical objects or external experiences will never be extinguished. When we finally acquire something we have been striving for, we will experience a temporary satisfaction, but we will soon want something more.
    True, lasting happiness comes from perceiving and reacting to our world from a positive perspective, disassociating from our egos, feeling gratitude for everything in our lives, and cultivating tolerance and compassion for others. Only then can we experience total peace and joy within ourselves"

Comment from a terminally ill patient