Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

(Article) Intolerance to Suffering

CloudCloud Veteran
edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
(A Tricycle Newsletter Article)
Is Buddhism really a religion of tolerance?

Buddhism is often considered a religion of tolerance. In many ways it is. But a particular kind of intolerance develops as we practice: intolerance to suffering. I use the word “intolerance” to be deliberately provocative, to encourage you to reflect on suffering and the issues surrounding it. Taking suffering seriously is an important element of Buddhist practice. To ignore it is to miss a powerful opportunity. Intolerance to suffering motivated the Buddha to find liberation from it.

from "Intolerance to Suffering," by Gil Fronsdal
Read the full article: HERE.

By the way for newbies and advanced practitioners alike, I really recommend getting on the free Tricycle e-mail newsletter. Every once in a while I'll post the excerpt and link to an article, but that doesn't mean that not every single one of their articles is worth reading. Here is the LINK to sign up (you don't have to get a paid membership to get the newsletter).

Comments

• Lots to think about in that article .... the distinction between emotions, such as sadness, and suffering is a significant point.