Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

"Right" Teachings of Buddha & The "Modern" World

buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
edited May 2006 in Buddhism Today
"Right" Teachings of Buddha & The "Modern" World

As with many teachings - there are two Points of View; the lessons and teachings we learn from various followings and how we integrate those teachings in our day to day lives.

I'm wondering how various Buddhists integrate these, sometimes, two opposing poles of thought into their day to day lives.

Today, I was watching Free Speech Television which was showing various situations that existin the US on a daily basis.

Unions

There has been quite a bit of controversy over the last few decades. This is not to say that Unions have only caused controversy over the last forty or fifty years. Unions have, at the least, sparked debate and heated discussion, and at the extreme, death.

But, I was watching a show on Wal-Marts going up in various parts of the country and the issues it is causing with many citizens. In this particular episode, Unions were not hired for the building of yet another Wal-Mart that the community, it seemed, did not want. How Union workers were angry, vicious and cruel to non-Union workers trying to get to the work place.

Communities are angry with Wal-Marts because they, supposedly, do not pay good wages to their workers (these same workers that have decided for themselves if they wish to gain employment at this company), pay no health care, undermine the community structure of other small business that have been serving the community for years, etc. But these same communities allow corporations like this to move in, seek to gain employment there, and become patrons to "Good Deals".

I also have first hand experience of a corporation that was in town that was Union. I remember hearing about how many workers at this factory used to laugh about how they could rip the company off by either having someone else clock in for them or how they could do a couple of hours worth of work and then sleep the 6 remaining hours of their shift. But, you know what? The company couldn't stay profitable and had to close it's doors. Everyone was layed off - Union and non-Union workers

Since, the non-Union workers had no recourse, they went out and found other jobs. But, the people that were Union? Those same people that used to brag and boast about how they were able to rip off the company? They went ballistic! They felt the company owed them something for their lackadaisical employment. They cursed the company and those that didn't share their point of view. They attacked the homes and family of people that thought, "well, maybe you need to do like the rest of us and just get a job!"

When does compassion come into play? How does one "act" our Right Speech, Right Intention, Right Livelihood, Right Mindfulness, etc. in the face of those that don't follow those modes of thinking? Is compassion to give up your job so that those without may have?

Abortion

Everyone in the states knows the battle with abortion since Roe -vs- Wade. It carries throughout our daily lives and into the very heart of our political arena.

A persons body is their own. And with Roe -vs- Wade, a woman has a constitutional right to decide what happens to her own body - even while carrying another being.

Some people say, "It's a woman's right to decide what happens to her body." while others state "A woman can do what she wants to do to her own body - but she doesn't have God-like authority to decide what happens to the body inside of her".

Why should men and women have the right to decide what happens to their own body - but someone else, doesn't.

Some say that a "living being" is one that can sustain itself, by itself. Basically that the fetus is truly not a being because it requires the mother to grown and thrive. Even doctors make decisions like this. If a woman is pregnant and they either have the choice to save the mother or save the fetus - it's usually agreed that they will save the mother and lose the fetus.

I don't think Buddha had to engage in issues like this during his lifetime and Englightenment. But, Enlightened teachings cover a variety of issues.

What is Right Livelihood? Is saving the mother to allow the fetus to die a "Right" decision? And which of us has that right? Is a woman's body her own while carrying the life of another? Does a man never have the right to life that he has helped create? How is it feasible to take the life of one (by bombing an abortion clinic) who is thinking about terminating the life of another? Is it a life?

How do you, as Buddhist, deal with these issues of the "current" day? Does the teachings of Buddha transcend the "popular" laws of the day?

-bf

Comments

• edited February 2006
    I don't agree with a living being is one that can sustain itself, by itself. Wouldn't that mean then that a child after it's born it not yet a living being because it cannot yet sustain itself??

Sorry, that doesn't contribute to your discussion...

Anyway you have posed two very important points/questions.
    I would think one would conduct themselves in accordance with the Eightfold Path just as they would with those that do share the same thinking.
    Giving up one's job to give to another I suppose would be compassionate...but what would be the greater good? Having someone work for a company that abuses it and basically steals the pay check...(meanwhile leaving themselves hungry)? I don't mean to sound harsh, but let's face it, we need to provide basic needs for ourselves too.

On abortion: MY OPINION mind you...yes this body is my own BUT when I SHARE it with another being, I am doing just that. I realize there are circumstances that happen to cause unwanted prenancies. Having never experienced this, or a wanted pregnancy for that matter, I do not feel I can make a judgement call. All I can say at this point is: life is life. Life is precious and a gift. It is not ours to judge, take away, or fiddle around with. Doctors that perform abortions have to make their own choices on Right Mindfulness, Intention, and Livlihood.
  • edited February 2006
    On the subject of abortion, I wonder which is the more Wrong - destroying a life that has not yet (or only just) started, or bringing a child into the world that is not wanted or loved who may live a lifetime of suffering because of that decision?

• edited February 2006
    I agree...however, there are thousands of childless couples that would love that child.
  • edited February 2006
    In a perfect world, every woman who was with child would embrace and celebrate the fact that she can sustain and bring into the world a living being.
    In a perect world, every woman would make the selfless decision to bring the child into the world.
    In a perfect world, every woman would make an educated decision regarding that child's well-being.
    In a perfect world, every child would be loved and cherished.

But alas, we do not live in such a world. Hence, our dilemma.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I can't remember if we've discussed issues like this on this forum before - but I'm sure it's been bantered about on many other forums.

It is a delimna. We have to remember that everyone doesn't believe in Buddha or even the teachings of Buddha - yet, as Buddhists, we deal with these issues at some time in our lives.

As for the abortion issue: I think the statement is one that: A child once it is born relies on the same outside influences for life: food, shelter and clothing. While inside of the womb and growing - this same being (if removed from the womb before it has developed necessary organs) cannot sustain itself even if given necessities like food, shelter and clothing. The fetus at this stage requires the environment of the womb to form.

I should have made that a little clearer...

-bf
    edited February 2006
    In a perfect world, every woman who was with child would embrace and celebrate the fact that she can sustain and bring into the world a living being.
    In a perect world, every woman would make the selfless decision to bring the child into the world.
    In a perfect world, every woman would make an educated decision regarding that child's well-being.
    In a perfect world, every child would be loved and cherished.

But alas, we do not live in such a world. Hence, our dilemma.

In a perfect world, I believe both mothers and fathers would be involved in these processes.

But, you are correct, we do not live in a perfect world.

And I guess the $24K question I was asking is: how do the rest of our members deal with issues like this, in times and situations that are not geared towards the teachings of Buddha.

Like those Buddhists that lived through Vietnam and Cambodia.

Or on even more mundane issues than life or death. How do we as Buddhists deal with them using the "right" precepts we've learned.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Many years ago as a student teacher (coincidentely taking a Buddhist class) I was having lunch in the faculty room. At the time, the school and its union were in the middle of a huge debate/compromise whatever they call it. One of the issues was BREAK TIME (planning time): 40 minutes versus 42 minutes a day, not including lunch, ususally 30 minutes. There were a few teachers VERY IRATE teachers about this, to my mind, silly issue.
    At the time, being a lowly student teacher, I kept my mouth shut. But had I been part of the faculty, I am not sure I could have. I wanted to say..."Why are we here people???"
    TO TEACH! Granted, this is a MINOR incident compared to the example you stated.

As Buddhist, I wouldn't think we'd participate in a heated arguement for it serves no purpose. A conversation, yes.
    I am not sure what I would do if union members actually attacked me or my home.

I am still thinking about this and now just sharing thoughts as they come. But I see as a great thread for discusion.
  • edited February 2006
    I struggle with the adaptation of Buddhist practice to our modern lives. Lama Surya Das has written a book entitled "Awakening the Buddha Within" that looks at this issue. In the end, I decided that it was more important to live true to the principles and spirit of Buddhism regardless of whether I was able to maintain rituals or traditions that are written about in the literature. However, that also causes me some angst about whether I am taking the easy way by not trying more to develop rituals.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Sharpiegirl and CalgaryGuy (with names like those, you two should become friends - !!)

Both your 'quandaries' may be addressed quite simply by taking a good close look at, learning, understanding, accepting and finally following the Eightfold Path. The Buddha couldn't have made it any more simple than that, and it was the first thing he taught. It was also the last thing he taught. And he adhered to it for the whole of his awakened life.

What better example could one have....? And to my mind, I have found no better set of guidelines than these..... They provide all the answers you'll ever need. :)
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I have heard for years about the problems with Wal-Mart. I choose not to shop there as I am not sure if I would be contributing to the misery of the workers and the pockets of the owners. I did that before coming to Buddhism. You see the commercials of how Wal-Mart has helped employees in bad times, but I wonder if it's their employees, not the company. As for sleeping employees, was it night shift? Was it mothers who were up all day with kids and those responsibilities? I am not condoning it because I think one should be prepared to work if they are there, but it isn't just "I'm going to goof off and rip the company off" all the time. And if a "union man" harasses those who are "non-union", then he thinks of his rights as more important than others.

I work in a field that debates unions regularly. Nurses are supposed to care and provide care no matter what. One thing that many people may not be aware of is how nurses are treated. We get talked to like we are second class people at times by physicians. Families talk to us in ways that they wouldn't talk to their dog. The working conditions at times can be quite poor for the floor nurse. I work ICU so it's a little better but the ethical problems abound. Try taking care of 12-15 people and remember everything that every patient needs. It's impossible. But it is expected of the floor nurse. Don't they have the right to decent treatment? I happen to be pro union. I happen also to be against abusing the system. I give an honest days work for an honest days pay. In the 9 years I've been a nurse, I've only fallen asleep once and it was on my break. I woke up and the patients weren't affected, but the guilt I felt meant that it wouldn't happen again.

Abortion is a sticky topic also. I can't say that I'm either pro-life or pro-choice as it is different in every situation. I agree with Fede in that the Noble Eightfold Path tells us what to do as Buddhists. There are plenty of people that aren't Buddhists. Could I participate in an abortion? No. I would find that morally wrong. But I also don't think I have the right to tell another human being what to do either. Right now, the law in the U.S. is that abortion is legal. We must follow that.

In nursing school, I did a 2 day observation in an abortion clinic (my choice). It was the most fascinating and heartbreaking rotation I did. Not all people are the little sluts that the pro-lifers would make you think. I saw a 12 year old girl who didn't know why she was there. Her mother brought her down to have the abortion. Almost cried looking at this girl with pigtails crying as her mother told them "We're having it done". I saw a woman who said "You don't need to tell me anything. This is my 4th time. I'm ready to hop on the table right now". I found her appalling. The reason that I mention these incidents is that we are talking about real live people. I saw the "tissue room". Broke my heart as you could tell that it was human tissue. Everyone needs to decide for themselves.

Sure, it would be great if every unwanted child were adopted. But what if the woman doesn't want to go through a pregnancy. What about children that are not the average "white, cuddly baby" that will grow up to be "All American boy or Miss Whatever". Those children need love also. I'm speaking of children of color, mentally or physically challenged, or something that a couple might not find desirable. Send them to an orphanage? I'm not trying to be facetious but realistic here.

Some more to toss around.
    edited February 2006
    Wow.

That was a pretty heavy post, Jer.

When I was talking about people falling asleep at work - no, it wasn't due to the fact that they were dead tired from overwork and a taxing job. It was due to the fact that these guys went out nightly partying and drinking like animals. Then would come in the next day, work for a couple of hours and then sleep for 6 hours in this "special" place that none of the bosses knew about.
    Or, not feeling like coming into work, but would have a co-worker punch in for them so that they could get pay while staying at home sleeping.

As one member here points out to me quite regularly, my views must be pretty limited. I guess I've either had the fortune or misfortune of working in the technology field ever since I was 20. I guess I don't get to see many of the issues that affect various groups of people because I'm not party to it.

I wasn't making a point about abortion clinics. I didn't even mean to sound like I was against abortions. I won't say what I believe in because I don't want this thread to sway one way or the other.
    But, both examples you gave were awful. Hearing about a young girl that probably doesn't even really have an idea of what sex is (aside from what MTV tells 12 year olds what sex is) being thrust into something like this.
    And then the other woman who took to abortions like some people take to morning coffee.

Unfortunately, many Pro-Lifers say, "well, have the baby and it could be adopted" - but realistically, we have more baby's up for adoption in the world than there are people wanting to adopt (and yes, I know there are thousands of people lined up to adopt children - but I think the numbers don't match up 1 to 1).

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Yes, that is something I have never been able to work out - some people are going abroad to adopt kids because they are desperate and there are kids in care crying out to be adopted - is this some kind of sick baby dating agency problem?

Or is it that the adoption agencies are so stringent in their rules that people who would make perfectly adequate parents are ruled out?

Something cock-eyed somewhere - but what do I know? I only adopt dogs - blooming hundreds of them in my life - and not one of them my ideal choice, just unwanted scraps of life that needed looking after.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    BF,
    If you would like, I'll stop thinking and become my smart alecky self.
    edited February 2006
    Jer...

The Middle Way, my friend.

Some seriousness... some smartaleckyness. :)

I thought it was a good post. It's good to hear and see others perceptions. Even though I'll probably get dinged for using the word "perception" - sometimes, whether Enlightened or not - it's the only point of view we have "at this moment".

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Though I took the 'there's always adoption' road, I know that that is unrealistic. As Knit witch pointed out, there are thousands of wonderful people who would give a child a world of love, but are ruled out becasue they are single, gay, or both. I have both family and friends in this situation.
    I agree with Jerbear. Personally, I am pro-life. But I don't feel I have the right to force my opinions on others. That's their issue, their karma so to speak. It's really not a quandry for me.
    As for Unions...they are meant to do good and I believe for the most part, they do.

Wal-Mart is a successful company. They are going to get blasted for anything that pops up. I am sure that they are not the only big company that abuses their workers. Certainly, that is not to let them off the hook. There are companies everyday that are moving to Mexico for cheaper labor. Wal-Mart gets bashed b/c they stay in the country and do it.
    The problem is the 'higher ups' with little thought to the common citizen.
  • edited February 2006
    I work for WalMart as a sales associate. I see many sides of it: as an employee, as a female, as a laborer vs. management, as a professional (my day job is accounting) with a background in anthropology.

Everything you hear about walmart...about the abusive corporate practices...are in my opinion a reflection of what is wrong with our modern society. But on a a personal level, I can tell you that my time at Walmart helped me along a path that led to Buddhism.
    edited February 2006
    Well, this shouldn't just go for Wal-Mart - they were a typical example.

We've had lots of corporations that do things that affect all of us.

Wasn't there an Enroy? Elvin? Enril? or something like that not too long ago? I think we're still feeling the impact of that.

-bf
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    One thing I would really like to remind people of is that we are talking about people not just issues. It is so easy to look at it from a distanced way. Yours truly has to do that in order to perform his job. But we need to remember to realize these people are fellow sufferers and in need of our compassion. Those two women I mentioned, the younger one is easy to think of in a compassionate way. The older woman isn't. I hope she has found a better method of birth control.
    edited February 2006
    Well, actually Jer... and I'm sure you thought of this all on your own....

Both would require compassion.

Like you said, compassion tugs at your heart regarding the 12 year because of the trauma she is going through.

Although hardened by and this process in the past, compassion should be maintained for the older woman as well. The karma she is creating for herself, the hardened shell she has built around her, the ease of callous remarks when she is doing this - she has built quite a wall around herself which will take years to break down.

And we are talking about people.

I was just reading a number of chapters in Heart of Buddha's Teachings (trying to catch up, which I believe I have!) about Right Livelihood.

TNH brings up so many elements regarding Right Livelihood that even made me question my own job and how I perform it. He also is realistic enough to state that while we may not engage in Right Livelihood - do we not have children to feed? Mortgages to pay?

Now, I'm not saying that working at Wal-Mart is bad by any stretch. Many times a company like this is a god-send for people needing work. My question would be posed more to either the people petitioning with hatred and anger, the corporation paying off city officials and bleeding a city of it's commerce, the decisions that are made that do not incorporate a mindfulness or compassion for people - but for the greed, craving and desire for another dollar.

I think the title of this thread was really the basis of my question. The text I put in the body of the thread was just a couple of off-hand examples.

How do "we" use Buddha's teachings in the modern world. It is no world like Buddha ever saw...

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:

It is no world like Buddha ever saw...-bf

"Outwardly", technologically, etc., but the "inner", the psychological state is the same conditioned reality.
    edited February 2006
    kowtaaia wrote:
    [/SIZE]

"Outwardly", technologically, etc., but the "inner", the psychological state is the same conditioned reality.

Hence, the topic and the question.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Kalama Sutta - "Rely not on the teacher/person, but on the teaching. Rely not on the words of the teaching, but on the spirit of the words. Rely not on theory, but on experience. Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. Do
    not believe anything because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and the benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - the Buddha

One of my favorite sutras of all time.

I just gnarled my way through the registration process, and this is my first post. I know that this isn't the right place for that, but hey, I'm all gnarled out for today.

Maybe I'll come back tomorrow, and maybe it will be some other day. Have a nice forum.

horaku.gif
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Hello.... and.... see you later!
    Nice of you to pop in!
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot,

...but you said: "It is no world like Buddha ever saw" and it's being pointed out that the the so called 'outer' world is insignificant. The human problem is not "out there".
    edited February 2006
    Kow,

I would respectfully submit that I know what I was referencing. The, very significant, outside world is like no world that Buddha ever saw. I believe there are issues being dealt with that Buddha never dreamed of dealing with. And the Human Problem is out there in a way. Since no one person is "independant" our actions and the actions of others affect us all - Buddhist and non-Buddhist.

But, I would have to say that, what Buddha taught of "internally" has remained the same and still seems to be true today.

My point wasn't to split hairs or answer questions of deep Dharma - my question was how does one incorporate the Right teachings of Buddha in the Modern World.

It could be something as simple as working for an arms manufacturer and how you deal with it. Working for a union and being asked to create a picket(sp) line for other non-union workers seeking "scab" work. Working in an abortion clinic. Being a police officer. Sitting around at work writing messages during work hours - when that is not what your employer hired you to do. Is that Right Livelihood? To be playing while your employer is paying. Or would Right Mindfulness teach us that if we've agreed to work 8 hours a day for someone - should we not be as mindful as possible - doing the best that we can for our employer during those eight hours?

Those were the kinds of questions I was asking or asking people to think of. I'm sorry that I only gave two examples and I probably wasn't clear enough.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Todays problems are preferable to the times when Khengis Khan and his gang were expected to ride through our village. :)
    edited February 2006
    Gosh, you're THAT old....?!!??:wow: :tongue2: :lol:
    edited February 2006
    kowtaaia wrote:
    Todays problems are preferable to the times when Khengis Khan and his gang were expected to ride through our village. :)

Some of them - but not all of them.

Good point! :)

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    Gosh, you're THAT old....?!!??:wow: :tongue2: :lol:

So are you, babe! :) The 'experiencer' is the same experiencer that's been around since the beginning of (psychological) time.:rocker:
    edited February 2006
    HEY EVERYONE - I'M A "BABE" - !! :ukflag:
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    HEY EVERYONE - I'M A "BABE" - !! :ukflag:

...and you thought that people were joking when they mistook your picture for Audrey...:)
  • edited May 2006
    it makes the most scence to me that modern day issues like abortion, unions ect.. Would be based on a individual situation. I try to practice mindfulness and apply it to things on a personal level. With abortion i am pro choice because you cannot know every situation. Just try to keep an open mind when you need to make decissions and if you dont have anything to do with it dont judge others for what they chose to do.
  • PalzangPalzang Veteran
    edited May 2006
    What I have been taught by my teachers is that a human life is the most precious thing there is because only as a human do we have a real shot at attaining enlightenment. All the beings in the other five realms have huge obstacles to that attainment: animals are too stupid, hell beings have no space in their minds due to their constant suffering, hungry ghosts also have no space due to their constant desire, jealous gods are all wrapped up in envy, gods are completely self-absorbed. Therefore only humans have the space in their minds and the leisure to practice. One who is born in a time when the Buddha's teachings are still in the world and who has the opportunity to receive them is said to have a precious human rebirth. So the point of this is that to abort a child who could take birth as a human and hear the Dharma is not a good thing. And no matter what the reason for the abortion, the mother still incurs the karma of killing a human being. So whether or not to have an abortion is much more than a small thing to consider.

Palzang
  • questZENerquestZENer Veteran
    edited May 2006
    I'm curious. How could anyone know this:
    Palzang wrote:
    no matter what the reason for the abortion, the mother still incurs the karma of killing a human being. So whether or not to have an abortion is much more than a small thing to consider.

It also relates to things like accumulating "merit". How are these things knowable? How it is that I could "see" this rather than simply "believe" it because someone else said it? Is this also smething to "come and see" rather than "come and believe"?

This is one aspect of the Tibetan tradition that has continually puzzled me.
    edited May 2006
    As with all things that are transmitted, there is the insiduous subtle creeping in, of personal opinion.... and this is acceptable, because all transmission is oral, and taught and passed down from teacher to Pupil....The important is not to 'come and see'....the important is to "Come and see For Yourself".....

The Teacher teaches, and teaches what he knows in his heart to be true...
    But the student still has to accept that teaching, and subject it to scrutiny, just like everything else...

Whatever the Rights or Wrongs, at that moment, we should lay all that aside, and simply manifest total Compassion for both Mother and Child. The pain, suffering and torment of anyone opting, or being obliged to opt for this procedure, is unimaginable - yet tangible. What we know within our Hearts to be true for us, may not at that moment be what that person needs.... So if our Truth is not their Truth, it is of no importance. The important, is to Love, Wisely.