Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Nothing Ever Goes Wrong In My World - The Power of Acceptance

AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
To quote Deepak Chopra, nothing ever goes wrong in my world. That acceptance is so universal, it empowers a person far beyond what they ever could have imagined. It makes a person extremely resilient. That is true acceptance.
ChawkDee

Comments

• pegembarapegembara Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Don't quarrel with the world and the world will have no quarrel with you.

"The sort of doctrine, friend, where one does not keep quarreling with anyone in the cosmos with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, with its contemplatives & priests, its royalty & commonfolk; the sort [of doctrine] where perceptions no longer obsess the brahman who remains dissociated from sensuality, free from perplexity, his uncertainty cut away, devoid of craving for becoming & non-. Such is my doctrine, such is what I proclaim."

Madhupindika Sutta

• Yes, but there does not seem to be any method other than meditation to achieve this.
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Yes, but there does not seem to be any method other than meditation to achieve this.
    Letting go achieves this. Meditation is one means to seeing clearly the benefits of letting go.
  • In my view, "Letting go" itself is humanly achievable only through meditation in one form or the other
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Maybe so. Maybe. Who can say for certain? Meditation is a means to seeing clearly, but it doesn't change what is happening. Have you never heard of people who would just "awaken", who weren't even Buddhists and only then turned to Buddhism to understand why? Examples of this can be found in Jack Kornfield's book "After the Ecstasy, the Laundry". It just goes to show that we can't be too sure!

That isn't to discourage meditation in any way, as it's an extremely powerful tool for the cultivating of insight. That's just to give uncertainty its due. It might not be necessary for first awakening but may be necessary to get further... I just don't know, and I'm okay with that.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you for this!
  • Acceptance is easier said than done.
    I can accept that!
    I can accept that!
    Then it's not easier said than done.
  • To quote Deepak Chopra, nothing ever goes wrong in my world. That acceptance is so universal, it empowers a person far beyond what they ever could have imagined. It makes a person extremely resilient. That is true acceptance.
    Really?

Just yesterday in my world I listened to a mother ready to cry because she couldn't afford the hundreds of dollars the school now charges for her child, who is showing talent and enthusiasm, to participate in any elective or after school activities. So her child will sit at home, bored, and become just another kid hanging out and getting in trouble. Budget cuts because of rich people refusing to pay a few more dollars in taxes, you see. That's wrong, and I'm trying to help her figure out a way to raise the money.

My next door neighbor, husband wife and three kids, just moved in, finally having a bit of help from the local government to get out of the homeless shelter. He has a part time job twenty miles away and an old junker of a car, and the bearings went out on a wheel so he was facing losing his only lifeline once again. This time, I asked my daughter to give him a ride to and from work and she helped him fix the car. So a lot was wrong, but better now.

There's a lot wrong in my world, because it includes a lot of people who are suffering. But me? I'm doing OK, all things considered.
  • In my view, "Letting go" itself is humanly achievable only through meditation in one form or the other
    Were those thousand bhikkhus meditating when they were liberated?

Thus I heard. On one occasion the Blessed One was living at Gaya, at Gayasisa, together with a thousand bhikkhus. There he addressed the bhikkhus.

"Bhikkhus, all is burning. And what is the all that is burning?

"When he finds estrangement, passion fades out. With the fading of passion, he is liberated. When liberated, there is knowledge that he is liberated. He understands: 'Birth is exhausted, the holy life has been lived out, what can be done is done, of this there is no more beyond.'"

That is what the Blessed One said. The bhikkhus were glad, and they approved his words.

Now during his utterance, the hearts of those thousand bhikkhus were liberated from taints through clinging no more.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn35/sn35.028.nymo.html

• Maybe so. Maybe. Who can say for certain? Meditation is a means to seeing clearly, but it doesn't change what is happening. Have you never heard of people who would just "awaken", who weren't even Buddhists and only then turned to Buddhism to understand why? Examples of this can be found in Jack Kornfield's book "After the Ecstasy, the Laundry". It just goes to show that we can't be too sure!

That isn't to discourage meditation in any way, as it's an extremely powerful tool for the cultivating of insight. That's just to give uncertainty its due. It might not be necessary for first awakening but may be necessary to get further... I just don't know, and I'm okay with that.

Exactly so. I am not implying that I am enlightened but acceptance is merely a part of enlightenment and I discovered acceptance first, not Buddhism. It made my life so much easier and made me so much more resilient. I decided to explore Buddhism in earnest after that.

There are other beliefs such as Taoism that suggest acceptance is key to advancement as well. Do they need to meditate in order to achieve acceptance? I discovered acceptance in the search of ways to relieve suffering. This led me to a practice that enhances acceptance. The writings of Byron Katie is specifically designed to foster acceptance and there is no formal meditation involved. Mind you, she does call her approach a written meditation.

So the acceptance practice was the beginning of my practice. There are many many other aspects of Buddhism which I have not mastered but that one aspect, I feel I have a pretty good handle on.
  • @AllbuddhaBound: Kindly permit me to say that 'acceptance practice' is as much a meditational practice as any other. Any sincere practice is essentially meditation as well.
  • True enough. I just imagined you were talking about on the cushion. The approach I suggest (Byron Katie's) is a written meditation for sure.
  • Hi Cinorjer,
    To quote Deepak Chopra, nothing ever goes wrong in my world. That acceptance is so universal, it empowers a person far beyond what they ever could have imagined. It makes a person extremely resilient. That is true acceptance.
    Really?

Just yesterday in my world I listened to a mother ready to cry because she couldn't afford the hundreds of dollars the school now charges for her child, who is showing talent and enthusiasm, to participate in any elective or after school activities. So her child will sit at home, bored, and become just another kid hanging out and getting in trouble. Budget cuts because of rich people refusing to pay a few more dollars in taxes, you see. That's wrong, and I'm trying to help her figure out a way to raise the money.

My next door neighbor, husband wife and three kids, just moved in, finally having a bit of help from the local government to get out of the homeless shelter. He has a part time job twenty miles away and an old junker of a car, and the bearings went out on a wheel so he was facing losing his only lifeline once again. This time, I asked my daughter to give him a ride to and from work and she helped him fix the car. So a lot was wrong, but better now.

There's a lot wrong in my world, because it includes a lot of people who are suffering. But me? I'm doing OK, all things considered.
    I think you might be getting the concept of "acceptance" mixed up with "complacency". Not only is it possible to accept the world the way it is and still make a positive change, it is impossible to make a positive change without acceptance.

For example, your daughter accepted the fact that your neighbor was in a bind and was able to help him. Had your daughter not accepted that your neighbor was in a tough situation, would she have helped?

Metta,

Guy
  • Yes, when we struggle against what is, we become helpless and frozen. We become resentful, sad and feel hopeless. When we are accepting, we begin to put one foot in front of the other and work towards change.
  • Ajahn Brahm MN18 Madhupindika Sutta
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2448910314735470356
    Don't quarrel with the world and the world will have no quarrel with you.

"The sort of doctrine, friend, where one does not keep quarreling with anyone in the cosmos with its devas, Maras, & Brahmas, with its contemplatives & priests, its royalty & commonfolk; the sort [of doctrine] where perceptions no longer obsess the brahman who remains dissociated from sensuality, free from perplexity, his uncertainty cut away, devoid of craving for becoming & non-. Such is my doctrine, such is what I proclaim."

Madhupindika Sutta

• I don't believe in 'god', but I quite like the Serenity prayer:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

This is said at the end of just about every A.A. meeting in the UK.
  • AllbuddhaBoundAllbuddhaBound Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I don't believe in 'god', but I quite like the Serenity prayer:

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
    The courage to change the things I can,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

This is said at the end of just about every A.A. meeting in the UK.
    Yes, there is a lot of truth to that but I believe the difference with total acceptance, is that we accept the things we can change as well. Thus, to practice acceptance in the Buddhist way, there are no bad vs good elements, it is what it is. In other words, the middle way.

To not accept the things we can change, it involves craving for some desired outcome.
  • hink you might be getting the concept of "acceptance" mixed up with "complacency". Not only is it possible to accept the world the way it is and still make a positive change, it is impossible to make a positive change without acceptance.

For example, your daughter accepted the fact that your neighbor was in a bind and was able to help him. Had your daughter not accepted that your neighbor was in a tough situation, would she have helped?

Metta,
    Guy

Actually, I agree. Acceptance does slip to complacency in Buddhism quite a bit, though. I accept that people are just being people, always have and always will. So historically, this acceptance combined with a fatalistic approach to karma causes Buddhism to stagnate. The socially engaged Buddhism movement is a breath of fresh air.
  • hink you might be getting the concept of "acceptance" mixed up with "complacency". Not only is it possible to accept the world the way it is and still make a positive change, it is impossible to make a positive change without acceptance.

Metta,
    Guy

Actually, I agree. Acceptance does slip to complacency in Buddhism quite a bit, though. I accept that people are just being people, always have and always will. So historically, this acceptance combined with a fatalistic approach to karma causes Buddhism to stagnate. The socially engaged Buddhism movement is a breath of fresh air.
    Does acceptance mean we must become passive? Or does it mean we must be more aware? I think understanding acceptance in English may be different from what was intended.

• zenffzenff Veteran
    edited September 2011
    There’s two sides to this, and it is something subtle I suppose.
    Acceptance is not indifference.

I can to some extend feel the pain other people feel (like I can share in their joy).
    But I can practice to be with that pain, like I practice to be with my own pain. They’re one, they’re just pain.
    I can accept my headache but acceptance doesn’t stop me from taking an aspirin.
    I can accept the pain of my cat, but acceptance doesn’t stop me from taking it to the vet.

Of course we are engaged but at the same time we can accept things as they are.
    And it is a sober fact that whatever we do to help people; we can not ultimately take away their pain. Suffering just changes shape.
    Mothers will cry and governments will be blind for people’s needs.

Acceptance and involvement go hand in hand somehow.
    Maybe someone else can shine their light on this.
  • Moment to moment all is clear what we must do. From acceptance we see clearly. This clarity see's beyond right and wrong but also knows the difference. Either suffer or accept. That is all there is. Clinging and not clinging. To act with no clinging is to move like the wind. One moment here and in another moment gone. Such is the natural way.

When something must be done then do it. Then get on with it. Feed those who are hungry then have your tea. Moment to moment what obvious thing are you avoiding? Acceptance is dynamic like a leaf falling from a tree.