Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why meditation?

edited September 2011 in Meditation
Why do we meditate at all? There can be a number of anwers. In my humble view, the need for meditation is this:

At an average, 42 involuntary thoughts per minute cross a human mind, with an average of above 50000 per day. All the misery that a human passes through in life is due to these thoughts keeping the mind fully fogged, thinking either about the past or worrying about the future. All forms of meditation and all religions aim at bringing down this average. An average of 5 and below per minute indicates a peaceful, content and blissful life, while an average of 25 and above indicates progressive levels of misery.

As one progress on the path of meditation, the number of involuntary thoughts starts getting lower and lower, and this is quite visible to the person meditating as well.

Anyone here agreeing or disagreeing with this totally untested hypothesis?

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Well, I thought it was to cultivate mindfulness.
  • Because an agitated mind is a grasping mind.
  • To answer from the perspective of Soto Zen, zazen is not a method to "attain" awakening-- it is the very expression of awakening itself.
  • I'm not sure whether your numbers are accurate or representative, but I like the idea of fewer thoughts per minute. Oh wait... I should stop thinking about it ;)
  • driedleafdriedleaf Veteran
    edited September 2011
    When meditation becomes natural like breathing...The answer to "Why do we meditate at all?" is because we want to live without stress. :)
  • It worked for Buddha