Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I can't believe I did it!

JerbearJerbear Veteran
edited February 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hello DharmaGang!

I just wanted to inform all of you that I completed the 3,000 bows required to take precepts at my temple. I know other sanghas don't require it, but I really didn't mind doing it. It really taught me perseverance. Some days, I just thought "I'm switching to Theravadan Buddhism". LOL!

What it also taught me was how to slow down. In the beginning, I could do 25 bows so fast, that my Buddha statue became a blur. As I started to slow down, I noticed a certain joy in it. I realize that the statue isn't the literal Buddha, but it was a representation of truth to me and bowing to it made sense.

Now my teacher wants me to do bows for other people. For those who can't do them. Great idea. But if it gets to the point that I can't do them for a while, I will stop. Just thought I would let my Dharmabuds know what was going on.

Comments

• SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    What merit, Jerbear! All beings benefit.

Somewhere among my bits of paper is a guide leaflet to the Dalai Lama's cathedral in Dharamshala. There is a section about prostrations in which the writer outlines all the physical benefits. That section, perhaps more than any other consideration, got me started. I have never counted how many I have done since then but the slowing-down thing really resonates with me. Every part of every movement; every air current; every smell of floor or earth or carpet; each component is as fresh as dew on a daisy.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Jerry,

Congratulations!!! What a feat. I'm very happy for you.

with love and awe,
    Brigid
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Jerry,

Congratulations!!!

:D

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    Hello DharmaGang!

Now my teacher wants me to do bows for other people. For those who can't do them. Great idea. But if it gets to the point that I can't do them for a while, I will stop. Just thought I would let my Dharmabuds know what was going on.

OK, Put me down for six thousand, thanks, Jer....!:grin:

No seriously, well done you - and what stamina - ! :rockon:

On a serious note, did your back hinder you, or did you find the prostrations actually helped ease the condition?

How you doing now....?
  • edited February 2006
    Congratulations Jerrry - gives The Oldest Know-Nothing In Town the chance to ask another question - ummm what were they, the bows? Standing up, kneeling down? See? I know diddley - and I wondered about your back problems - given that, even bigger Hooray!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Hey, congrats, my friend.

I have to say that I couldn't understand the whole "having to bow 3,000" thing - but it just goes to show what I know... NOTHING.

It seems that actions as simple as this, teach us things and changes our view. It seems that you have gained much more spiritually than jus the action of 3,000 bows. I think it also means a little more with someone who has physical issues like yourself. Great perserverance, my friend.

I'm really glad for ya.

-bf
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Jerbear wrote:
    Hello DharmaGang!

I just wanted to inform all of you that I completed the 3,000 bows required to take precepts at my temple. I know other sanghas don't require it, but I really didn't mind doing it. It really taught me perseverance. Some days, I just thought "I'm switching to Theravadan Buddhism". LOL!

What it also taught me was how to slow down. In the beginning, I could do 25 bows so fast, that my Buddha statue became a blur. As I started to slow down, I noticed a certain joy in it. I realize that the statue isn't the literal Buddha, but it was a representation of truth to me and bowing to it made sense.

Hey thanks Jerbear,
    You are welcome to do my 3000-I'd really appreciate that!

can I have a show of hands for any others who'd like theirs done as well?
  • edited February 2006
    Well done Jerry. You have my deepest respect and gratitude.

1000 x :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    hi BSF.

Look, if it's all the same with you, can you avoid the mathematics thing? I'm still struggling with simple addition.
  • JerbearJerbear Veteran
    edited February 2006
    All I had to do was stand up and bow at the hips. Some days were harder than others I must admit. I don't know why I finished them so soon. I guess I was over achieving. They aren't to be finished until June. For reasons unknown to me, I finished them way early.

As for those who don't understand, that's okay. There are other teachings in other schools of Buddhism that I don't understand. But we all can live harmoniously anyways.