Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Avoidance of useless chatter in modern America

edited September 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Does that mean no social life? The majority of conversations that take place amongst modern americans would seem to constitute useless chatter... How do you guys approach this aspect of the path? Especially in regard to work if you happen to be in retail or food service like I am where you are expected to make small talk (The term even almost sounds like useless chatter doesn't it?) with customers and coworkers. This one has been in the back of my mind for a while now so I thought I would just throw it out there and get some opinions on it. Thanks.

Comments

• aMattaMatt Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Listen, and say things that are meaningful to you. Avoid discursive talk, gossip and the like, and instead be genuine and engaged. Even "light-hearted" is more skillful than "chatter"
  • Gotta do what ya gotta do!
    it is neither useless or useful.
    if you're going to say anything be mindful that you don't harm yourself or others. kind words!

no matter how insignificant you deem your communication...if done with sincerity and openness then all will respond accordingly.

sometimes its not what you say but you how you say it.

get what i mean yo?
  • lol I get what you mean Taiyaki.
  • Had an interesting demonstration of this today. A guy (who is a very odd duck) in my massage class decided to quit. The first second I met him I knew he wouldn't last. Hard to describe exactly. But when he left today, he took the opportunity to bend the ear of several of us (individually) to pour forth this litany of his complaints about the school, the instructors, the town, the town where he lives, life in general, and American society. I really tried to just listen, but it was a challenge... Clearly someone with LOTS of issues though. But alas, they're *his* issues.

• Listen, and say things that are meaningful to you. Avoid discursive talk, gossip and the like, and instead be genuine and engaged. Even "light-hearted" is more skillful than "chatter"
    I agree with Matt. I think "chatter" is like continually voicing nonsense or gossip. Asking someone how they are doing and discussing the weather and such is just being polite. Especially if you speak with sincerity as taiyaki said! Just be genuine, and respectful. This is not useless. You are showing someone love and compassion by proving that they are someone that you think is worth talking to.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    pour forth this litany of his complaints about the school, the instructors, the town, the town where he lives, life in general, and American society. ... Clearly someone with LOTS of issues though.
    Lol. I complain about that stuff all the time.
  • pour forth this litany of his complaints about the school, the instructors, the town, the town where he lives, life in general, and American society. ... Clearly someone with LOTS of issues though.
    Lol. I complain about that stuff all the time.
    @mindgate have have you taken any massage courses lately? Hehe.
  • It is not useless to make social connections with other people - for their sakes if not for your own. 'Useful' doesn't have to be only practical, in an engineer's sense of the word (I'm married to a mathematician who occasionally sees speech as simply a mechanism for expressing requests and commands - drives me nuts sometimes!).

Sometimes, talking about the weather to a stranger can be very useful - it is social oil, it is compassionate and kind, especially if that person is lonely or distressed.

IMHO too many of us are plugged into our mobile phones and iPods and fail to communicate at all. We live in a technology bubble instead, cut off from the world. Meanwhile, our fellow man is lonelier and more emotionally distressed than ever.

Avoiding useless chatter doesn't mean we always have to be heavy and discuss profound things; it doesn't mean we have no sense of humour or incapable of a friendly chat. We should be friendly and kind, and that often involves talking and listening to stuff that is far from profound, but that doesn't mean it's useless. Buddhism does not mean turning into robots.
  • edited September 2011
    Talk is only 'useless' if it serves no purpose. If you're just saying stuff to fill silence then it's useless. However, from my experience it is undeniable that small talk helps to oil the wheels of society. And if you take time out of your day to exchange pleasantries with someone, you could alleviate a whole lot of suffering. That someone might well have just needed to interact with someone - anyone - at that moment, which would probably make it a perfect action.

Conclusion: amiable chit-chat about the weather or whatever (yes, I know, very English of me...) probably isn't wrong speech. Sitting around bitching about people, or fruitlessly complaining (another very English thing to do) probably is.
  • You know, some of the wisest and best Dharma teachers I know are sociable people with a terrific sense of humour, and a ready smile on their lips. I also know some dour types, but being a Buddhist doesn't mean you cease to be human: it means you can fully enjoy being human.

And no, I've never heard a Dharma teacher b*tch about someone, or whine or complain. Which isn't to say I haven't heard one say "Oh dear, my back is bad today", because sometimes sharing our pain can be beneficial. It can be good for students to know that their teacher is not a super being, but just a human like them. Plus it helps generate compassion.
  • Skilful speaking can mean making small talk if it makes others feel more uncomfortable.
  • Skilful speaking can mean making small talk if it makes others feel more uncomfortable.
    I'm hoping you meant 'comfortable'... :eek:
  • We have two ears and one mouth for a reason.
  • We have two ears and one mouth for a reason.
    Not if you're Vincent Van Gogh.

• ToshTosh Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Skilful speaking can mean making small talk if it makes others feel more uncomfortable.
    I'm hoping you meant 'comfortable'... :eek:

:p Yes; I'm a Geordie (conventionally speaking of course); and Geordies aren't the cleverest sometimes!

Link deleted!
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Posted in error; I'm trying to remove the youtube link I put up. There's some bad language in it that isn't appropriate.
  • CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited September 2011
    Cautions against lying are understandable. So are cautions against using hurtful words, etc. But what are lay Buddhists to make of the cautions against what, in our world of social interactions, is normal behavior?

"And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech."
    — SN 45.8

"Abandoning idle chatter, he abstains from idle chatter. He speaks in season, speaks what is factual, what is in accordance with the goal, the Dhamma, & the Vinaya. He speaks words worth treasuring, seasonable, reasonable, circumscribed, connected with the goal.
    - AN 10.176

And there's the usual translation I found on a website that tries to mitigate this somewhat:

Buddha explained right speech as follows...to abstain from idle chatter that lacks purpose or depth.

It make me want to tell the writer, "Idle chatter is defined as conversation that lacks depth, so nice try but you're just sidestepping the issue."

So, a good Buddhist refuses to join into the social chatter of his daily encounters with strangers, family, friends, and coworkers? After all, if you actually notice what's being communicated, that's a big hunk of vocal communication.

(Coworker) "Nice weather today for a change, isn't it, Joe?"
    (Buddhist, avoiding idle chatter): "Just tell me if the report is done, please."

Our inner compass should tell us there's something wrong with that picture.

As everyone else here points out, we are social beings and a certain amount of chatter or small talk does in fact have a purpose. It shows we care enough about people to share their lives and concerns and interests. In the same way telling the truth can be a weapon when misused, silence can also be an insult. So I listen to my inner compass. Being friendly means enjoying talking to people. But I'm not just talking. I'm sharing my life and including their life in mine. It has a purpose.

Just my opinion.

• edited September 2011
    :p Yes; I'm a Geordie (conventionally speaking of course); and Geordies aren't the cleverest sometimes!
    And how is the weather in Newcastle today? :)

• :p Yes; I'm a Geordie (conventionally speaking of course); and Geordies aren't the cleverest sometimes!
    And how is the weather in Newcastle today? :)

I dunno, I live in South East Wales!

:D
  • Thanks guys. You're input has been very informative... Now I just have to develop social skills
  • I'm married to a mathematician who occasionally sees speech as simply a mechanism for expressing requests and commands - drives me nuts sometimes!
    That sounds ridiculously cute.
  • Thanks guys. You're input has been very informative... Now I just have to develop social skills
    Remember to be patient with yourself

:)