Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Jonathan Livingston Seagull by Richard Bach

edited September 2011 in Arts & Writings
I have just read this story, and was completely blown away . It's about a seagull who realises that flying isn't just for getting from shore to feeding place and back, but that flying is in fact the essence of life. He ends up transcending the reality he grew up in and going to a place that really is all about the flight, and teaching other birds to do the same.

It rings so true from a Buddhist perspective...I heartily recommend it to all of you!

Comments

• I've loved that story for more than 30 years. GAD, I'm old! :eek:
  • Me too lol I remember reading this book as a kid in the 70's
  • And it was made into a movie with Neil Diamond doing the music believe it or not.
  • Yep, I had the soundtrack! I was young... :p
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    It's New Age tosh.
    At first I loved it, but then I engaged my brain.
    The sequel is worse.
  • ShutokuShutoku Veteran
    edited September 2011
    I never read it but saw the movie. I've never been a huge Neil Diamond fan but the soundtrack was good.
    It is actually based more on Hinduism than Buddhism, but obviously there are a great many similarities.
    I remember the soundtrack album featured artwork from " The Bhagavad Gita - As it is" which is put out by ISKCON (Hare Krishna)

One thing that I didn't like about the movie, is that it certainly appeared that some seagulls may have been killed to make it. I hope I am wrong on that
  • That book was a huge phenomenon back when it first came out, vix. How great you got so much out of it. haha--you could use the inspiration right now, that you're down with a cold. ;) I hope you're feeling better.
  • i liked Illusions: The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah a little better. Check it out!
  • One was also really fun.
  • Illusions by Richard Bach is better.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    I found the book at value village and I haven't read it yet. One of these days I will grab it from my book self.