Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Old inkbrush drawings

CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
edited September 2011 in Arts & Writings
I was going through some old boxes, and found at the bottom of one musty box some old inkbrush drawings of mine from way back when that I'd forgotten all about. I haven't done inkbrush since I returned from Korea, almost thirty years ago.

Anyway, they brought back wonderful memories of meditation and black ink loaded onto a bamboo handle brush. Hope you enjoy them in all their dirty, waterstained glory. The Chinese characters are "Jer Lee", my name Jerry close as I could get it.

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    :eek: Please teach me how to do those. Heh. No, really, those are really good. :)
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited September 2011
    very nice here is my zen inspired watercolor...

Photobucket
  • Love your dancer!
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
    edited September 2011
    enjoyed those :thumbup: :-)
  • I liked that, Jeffrey!

Inkbrush is marvelous to learn, because you have to be deliberately spontaneous, a state of mindfulness Zen keeps trying to teach you, and with the absorbant rice paper and ink, any hesitation means your line becomes a splotch. Watercolors are similar if you use really absorbant paper.

The old Korean artist who taught me was a master, of course, and I have some cherished paintings hanging on my walls of his. His last name was Yung, can't remember the rest. It did drive me crazy the way he taught. The first lesson was instruction in handling the materials and the basic brushstroke, and I had to fill page upon page of identical brushstroke. Left to right, right to left, thin, thick, etc. The next lesson he brought out a dead fish and had me draw it over and over and over again. I wasn't allowed to draw anything else. The next week, he brought a big leek from his garden to go with the fish and I drew the stillife.

Finally at the end of that lesson he seemed satisfied with my drawing of a dead fish and we moved on to his whipping out a quick painting and then I had to copy what he'd done over and over for an hour. What really drove me crazy was, he insisted everything he and I drew in the class be thrown away. He'd point to a beautiful inkbrush pine tree he's just whipped out and say, "No good!" and wad it up.

• Wow! :clap: They're so ALIVE! way-cool!
  • Thanks, guys.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Most excellent!

Here are a couple of my meager attempts.
  • These are all very beautiful and expressive, maybe I shall get myself a bottle of ink and a brush and hit up on the caligraphy again :)
  • Bonsaidug, those are both wonderful. What is the calligraphy along the left side, your signature?
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Bonsaidug, those are both wonderful. What is the calligraphy along the left side, your signature?
    Yes, it's phonetic for "Douglas."