Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

I LOVE YOU.

NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `  South Carolina, USA Veteran
edited February 2006 in Buddhism Basics
It's a wonderful and statistically rare thing to be born as a human being, and so if you're human, you're one of the most lovable things around.

You don't all have to chime in at one time, and I may be the only one posting on this thread, but it's the only kinda thread I feel competent to start.

Surely Buddha would never have come into the world for undeserving folk.

Comments

• edited February 2006
    :) Who says people from India say its corny to say I love you? ;-)

http://www.worldpath.net/~hiker/iloveyou.html
    (saying I love you in different languages)

:)

ps: I love you too :)

SC hmm? I knew a girl there... she says its a really beautiful place.. Reminds me. I must write to her :)
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Nirvana, I completely agree... But one thing I find sad is that, inspite of the marvellous advances Mankind has made in so many realms of its existence and evolution, we still only have one word that describes how we (may) feel about chocolate, and how we feel about those (variously) close to us....
    Shakespeare and the poets said it best... But the word is bandied about far too much and has for me, become adulterated and sullied....
  • edited February 2006
    I love y'all too. Pity we don't have a word in British English to include the you plural - most other European languages do.

I agree Nirvana - it's the best phrase in the world, what a shame it's become such a fluffy, toe-curling thing to say except to your sig.oth. - to say "I love you" to someone outside the nearest family makes one look like either a New Age fluffbunny or a drunk (d'ye know mate, yer my besh fren an Iluvyar)

So, thanks very much for the opportunity to say it on here - I LOVE YOU
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yes, there'd have to be something at least a little bit wrong with someone who didn't love you, Generous Genryu. You're so generous with your time in answering questions and the like, and you know, I think I even see that you and I are alike in a few things which I admire in you and may learn to accept also in myself. And thanks for your ever-good humour. We can count on you not to go overboard.

I particularly like your one-pointedness (although not an incongruous quality in a Zen Buddhist) and your ability to simplify things so that I can understand them, though at first I can't. I particularly liked your contributions in the Loutus Sutra thread, and find you very convincing. I also agree that oversimplification of something is a falsification, and therefore would follow your cautions on Nichiren.

Thanks for all the responses you've made to my private questions.

I'm counting on you to keep us on the right path.

Nirvana

"BE KIND" - the religion of ShangriLa--from the movie, "Lost Horizon"

Meditate by emptying yourself and letting the universe fill you. (from a YOGI TEA tebag's tag)
    (Idea stolen from YogaMama.)
    edited February 2006
    Thanks, Hope for the "I LOVE YOU" link in many languages!

Here's one of the Telugu ones: "Neenu ninnu pra'mistu'nnanu." I'll try to remember that one from southern India.

"Who says people from India say its corny to say I love you?" you ask. Well, it's been my experience that Hindu monks scoff at that sort of talk. Perhaps that just the way my eyes see things, though.

http://www.worldpath.net/~hiker/iloveyou.html COOL!
    (saying I love you in different languages)

Of course, there's many other ways of saying "I love you," and I use them with my residents in elder long-term care every day:

I'm proud of you... I'm so proud of you...
    I'm so lucky to know you...
    To know you is to love you...
    There'd have to be something seriously wrong with someone who did not love you, I mean something serious...
    I'm so lucky to be here today with all you beautiful people...
    The trouble with people is that they forget how precious they are...
    And the Blessed Lord said You are very dear to me...

and others, too.

Got any?
  • edited February 2006
    I wish I knew the sign language way to say I love you :)... any idea what that is?

ah.. found it i think
    http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID4508723P1560548-Sign-Language-Symbols/Sign-Language-I-Love-You.aspx
  • edited February 2006
    Oh nice one Hope - with a deaf friend of mine I used to sign it by doing I pointing to myself, both hands over the heart and then point as opposed to friend which was shaking own hands. Was never sure if we were using accepted signing or we made up our own, whatever, as it says in the exams - communication took place, tick.
    edited February 2006
    "If a person loves only one other person and is indifferent to the rest of his fellow men, his love is not love but a symbiotic attachment, or an enlarged egotism. Yet most people believe that love is constituted by the object, not by the faculty. In fact, they even believe that it is a proof of the intensity of their love when they do not love anybody except the 'loved' person...
    "Because one does not see that love is an activity, a power of the soul, one believes that all that [it] is necessary to find is the right object—and that everything goes by itself afterward. This attitude can be compared to that of a man who wants to paint but who, instead of learning the art, claims that he has just to wait for the right object, and that he will paint beautifully when he finds it.
    "If I truly love one person I love all persons, I love the world, I love life. If I can say to somebody else, 'I love you,' I must be able to say, 'I love in you everybody, I love through you the world, I love in you also myself.' " --Erich Fromm, The Art of Loving
    1956, p 46

Yes, but HOW do you get the pinky to extend when the two fingers next to it are pressing on the palm. Is this a sign of some kind of kinky love?

EDIT for source of Attached Image: [Hope]: "I wish I knew the sign language way to say I love you ... any idea what that is?"

YES!!! Hope found the Link:
    http://gallery.bcentral.com/GID45087...-Love-You.aspx
    "I LOVE YOU" in sign language
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I ve been told that the greatest love of all is apparently to love yourself... Conversely, I've been told that to love yourself too much is a bad habit, and horrible things can happen to you.

don't know...

Oh that's right, Always follow the middle path-perhaps that's what that means.

X
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Xray,
    LOL!

Nirvana,

I was just about to go to bed when I came across this thread. Hey! That rhymed. I can use that in a song. Nirvana, well done! This is a beautiful thread. Only you could have started it. What a heart you have. And that's a great quote from Erich Fromm, too.

Hope,

Nice link! It even has the Elvish language from LOTR! So fun.

I love you all, too. I know it may not count, seeing as I don't get out a lot...:buck: :grin:
    There just simply is always room for more love in the world. And I can't think of a better place from which to let it shine than here.

Love,
    Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Isn't it funny how a group of people who have never met can feel such closeness?
    I look forward to hearing from each and every one of you, everyday.

Though I may not say much, my mind absorbs all of your words. They are in my mind's treasure box.

I value your opinions and thoughts. All of you have had a wonderous, beautiful, life-changing affect on me....thank you.:p
  • edited February 2006
    (stuffing hanky in pocket and sniffing) I'll put the kettle on, think we could all use a nice cup of tea.
  • edited February 2006
    Isn't it funny how a group of people who have never met can feel such closeness?
    I look forward to hearing from each and every one of you, everyday.

Though I may not say much, my mind absorbs all of your words. They are in my mind's treasure box.

I value your opinions and thoughts. All of you have had a wonderous, beautiful, life-changing affect on me....thank you.:p

DITTO to that!!! :)

I may not always post on threads either, but I do read almost all of them. Right now, I just don't feel that I know enough about Buddhism to post on some of the topics, but I truly enjoy reading what everyone has to say on here. You are all wonderful teachers and friends!

Namaste!

Kim
  • edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    DITTO to that!!! :)

I may not always post on threads either, but I do read almost all of them. Right now, I just don't feel that I know enough about Buddhism to post on some of the topics, but I truly enjoy reading what everyone has to say on here. You are all wonderful teachers and friends!

Namaste!

Kim

You took the words right out of my mouth .... but I feel I understand a whole lot more since I started hanging around in here. Thank you all. Bless.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! Oh God, now I'm gonna be crying all afternoon!

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    It's getting a little too sappy in here for me now. I am outta here.
    edited February 2006
    See?

A guy starts crying and you run away.

Hmph! So much for me getting in touch with my feminine side...

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    No no no...it's not because YOU started crying. Awwww...do you need to be held??

What a wuss! (oooops...did I say that out loud?)

Truly...I am more like a guy sometimes when it comes to crying. It doesn't happen very often for me! I am working on it, though!
    edited February 2006
    YogaMama wrote:
    What a wuss! (oooops...did I say that out loud?)

:lol:

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    Oh now BF and YM are being horrid to each other boo hoo hoo hoo hoo
  • edited February 2006
    Oh, no, Knitwitch...this is normal behavior for BF and I. :) This is how our friendship works between us.
    edited February 2006
    True. This is how Yoda and I express ourselves to each other.

Now, in the same tradition between that has gone before...

Shut it. :)

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:
    I LOVE YOU GUYS!!! Oh God, now I'm gonna be crying all afternoon!

-bf

That's hilarious, BF!! LMAO!

Love the 'toon!

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Where does the middle path lie? I've never found myself to be particularly lovable. Loving everyone else is easier. Loving everyone else without bias, a little harder. Love's a funny thing. Not quite definable. difficult to control, sometimes even hard to recognize. It is the most precios thing in the world, the most important, without it we are truly lost. From love stems kindness and hope and decency and courage and forbearance.
    First post ever. sorry it's so disjointed.
    edited February 2006
    Your post is great, Wllwsmth, especially for a first post ever.
    I do not think there is really a middle way when it comes to love, either you let it flow or you don't. One of my favourite Anglican collects (prayers) includes the words "all our doings without charity are nothing worth." I try to remember these words every day as I attend to my tasks in a nursing home.

I thought what you wrote was beautiful, especially about forbearance. Let me commend to you something that one of our contributors wrote in a "Cuddling alligators" thread under Buddhism 101:

Thinking about loving everyone and everything and ultimate compassion [is]... one of the hardest ... because I could never love everyone like that and ......And a little voice in the middle of me said "But you do it for animals Raven. When did you ever hate an animal, even dangerous ones or ones that have bitten or hurt you?"
    ...This is the woman who had to be restrained from kissing a baby alligator when given it to hold, who stands in front of runaway horses going "Poor baby, it's frightened", who calls every creature she meets whose name she doesn't know "My Baby". --Knitwitch
    (Mother Raven)

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Welcome Wllwsmith, and nice of you to post here first... that shows true sentiment, and i don't think, in matters of Love, a middle ground is something we can choose.
  • edited February 2006
    Thank you, Nirvana and Fredrica, for the welcome. I've only just joined, but I've been doing a lot of reading: I like it here.