Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Pure Land by J.C. Cleary

edited September 2011 in Philosophy
The Pure Land

Amitabha’s Pure Land is depicted in a way designed to attract believers. In the Pure Land there is no sickness, old age, or death. The sufferings and difficulties of this word do not exist. Those born in the Pure Land come forth there from lotus flowers, not from a woman’s womb in a pain and blood, and once born they are received and welcome by Amitabha and hist assistants. They receive immortal, transformed bodies, and are beyond the danger of falling back into lesser incarnations. They are in the direct presence of Amitabha Buddha and the great bodhisattvas Kuan-yin (Avalokitesvara) and Shih-chih (Mahasthamaprapta), who aid in their ultimate enlightenment.

Those who go to the Pure Land live there among beings of the highest virtue. Beautiful clothing and fine food are provided to them ready-made. There are no extemes of heat and cold. Correct states of concentration are easy to achieve and maintian. There are no such things as greed, ignorance, anger, strife, or laziness.

The Pure Land is described, metaphorically, as resplendent with all manner of jewels and precious things, towers of agate, palaces of jade. There are huge trees made of various gems, covered with fruits and flowers. Giant lotuses spread their fragrance everywhere. There are pools, also made of seven jewels, and filled with the purest water, which adjust itself to the depth and temperature the bathers prefer. Underfoot, gold covers the ground. Flowers fall from the sky day and night, and the whole sky is covered with a net made of gold and silver and perls. The Pure Land is perfumed with beautiful scents and filled with celestial music.

Most precious of all, in the Pure Land, we are told, not only the Buddha and Bodhisattvas, Amitabha and his assistants, but even the birds and the trees (as manifestations of Amitabha) are continuously expounding the Dharma, the Buddhist Teaching.

Quoted from “Pure Land Pure Mind” translated by J.C. Cleary :clap:

Comments

• I highly recommend people read the larger sutra of immeasurable life, the smaller Sutra of immeasurable life, and the contemplation sutra.

In Jodo Shinshu, the Pure Land is Nirvana. Most see it as metaphor, some take it literally. It is fine either way.

Namo Amida Butsu
  • I highly recommend people read the larger sutra of immeasurable life
    The Infinite Life Sutra is inspiring!!! I was really touched by Bhikku Dharmakara's vows prior to becoming Amitabha Buddha!!!

Namo Amitabha Buddha!

• I highly recommend people read the larger sutra of immeasurable life, the smaller Sutra of immeasurable life, and the contemplation sutra.

In Jodo Shinshu, the Pure Land is Nirvana. Most see it as metaphor, some take it literally. It is fine either way.

Namo Amida Butsu
    According to the words of Shinran himself and Rennyo the Pure Land isn't a metaphor...

• By trying to argue whether the Pureland is real not is simply obstruction.

Does it matter if it's a metaphor or physical? When your chanting the Buddha's name and visualising him your not thinking about unwholesome things!
  • i found this website about Pureland Buddhism (specifically Jodo Shinshu) that helped me to understand what it is. I'm not sure if it resonates with others but it sure does with me!
    http://www.livingdharma.org/Living.Dharma.Articles/WhatIsPureLand-Haneda.html
  • Metaphysics aside, I love the Pureland manner of practice. The never ending chant of Amitabha Butsu has brought me great clarity and peace of mind. It also has served me as a brute force contemplation for every problem.
  • By trying to argue whether the Pureland is real not is simply obstruction.

Does it matter if it's a metaphor or physical? When your chanting the Buddha's name and visualising him your not thinking about unwholesome things!
    The Pure Land path is much deeper than just reciting to stop thinking about "unwholesome things." It's a path towards final liberation for those incapable of meditation and keeping the precepts. For it simply to just be a metaphor, how is it then possible? And then why even call it Pure Land if it's just a metaphor?

• "Ordinary people generally think that if the Pure Land is Mind-Only, then it does not exist. This is the understanding of demons and externalists. Such a deluded view, which appears correct but is in reality wrong, affects more than half of all people and causes practitioners to forfeit true benefits."

(from Pure-Land Zen, Zen Pure-Land, Letters from Patriarch Kin Yuang.)

sorry for previous typos.
  • Thank you for posting that!

• I think the key difference in Pure Land, and specifically Jodo Shinshu, is the idea of "Other Power"
    Shinshu makes us examine our own character deeply and see some very unflattering things.
    It thus becomes apparent that there is no way I can of my own calculation become enlightened. My ego is just too pervasive. So we have Amida (infinite light and life) who embraces us, and all we need to do is accept this.

The argument about literal or metaphor I think is a distraction in the sense that Jodo Shinshu followers all believe Amida is a real thing, and so is the Pure Land. I think the descriptions may have been suited to the sensibilities of the people and the time and put in a form they can relate to, but the form ultimately is unimportant.
    Amida IS perfectly awakened infinite light and life, whether in the form of a person, or something more beyond our common material experience. Sukhavati IS the realm of perfect happiness, with or without jewelled trees and such.
    It is Nirvana because it is a realm where there is no suffering.

The majority of Shinshu followers I know, do not necessarily take the descriptions literally, but some do, and we all get along fine.
    At the end of the day it is of no consequence to me. I entrust to Amida no matter what form Amida takes.
  • So how do followers of Pureland Buddhism prove his existence? Do you get your evidence from the sutras or is Amida something more like an embodiment of Ultimate Compassion?
    I've never really thought about these questions about my sect this deeply before now, since I really wasn't all that interested before. But now I want to learn more about what my grandparents believed!
  • 300hj,

In Jodo Shinshu, it is by having faith in the words of Shakyamuni Buddha, the 7 patriarchs and their spiritual experiences. For example, Honen was said to have many visions of the Pure Land and Amida. http://www.jsri.jp/English/ojo/round2/wattstomatsu.html
  • wow! thanks for your explanation, and the website was an interesting read! May not really be my way of thinking, but like mentioned before, it's great how people can interpret belief differently and still be able to get along fine in the same sect!