Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddhist art collage

edited October 2011 in Arts & Writings
Hello Everyone,
I'm thinking about a little project to make my teacher a White Tara picture. I'm thinking of doing it in paper collage, using printed Oriental papers, with some stick-on jewels and gold chain. However, I am not sure if the colours that White Tara is portrayed with are standard in some way, or if the hallow and robes are entirely the perspective of the artist?

Has anyone here tried Buddhist art and if so, could you give me some pointers?

Comments

• i think doing a bit of research on what the white tara stands for and if there are specific guidelines for depicting the white tara.

i've studied a lot of buddhist art for fun and i've found that there are certain hand poses and visual symbology that serve a purpose. the function is usually very layered and makes reference/homage to a teaching or narrative. but that is getting really deep.

if you're just doing your own interpretation of the white tara i'd balance your interpretation with how the white tara is depicted. in that sense you balance respect for tradition and your own interpretation.

i don't know anything specific about the white tara so i cannot help you there. i am sure you can find many resources online and even just looking at a variety of white taras you'll be able to pick up the similarities.

good luck.
  • @taiyaki I'm OK on the hand poses, and the fact that she is seated on a lotus flower, which is traditionally depicted in a certain way (and either pink or red and pink petals). She also has a particular shape head-dress which is always the same. She is usually in a half-lotus. It's the background I'm having most trouble with, since that seems to vary quite a lot.
  • There jewels Betty, jewels! Lotus flowers would be pretty