Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does a person have to follow any religion?

becomethesignalbecomethesignal Explorer
edited June 2007 in Faith & Religion
I think that it is mostly (as I see it, for me) unnecessary to be a part of a particular religion. Religion does tend to have fanatic followers and most religions can cause one to be dogmatic. I think that if a person does their best to choose actions that bring life to others and themselves, if a person is lawful and courteous to others, open minded, and follows after virtues that seem to be most important (ie. love, kindness, sacrifice), bases their lives on logic and common sense and does not focus only on themselves then I don't think that person would regret their life or be unfulfilled. To live life to the best of one's ability is what I hope people would focus on.

I can't be too objective about religion because I've been seriously wounded by it, specifically "Christianity". I had to go to a "Christian" school and I grew up in a mostly old fashioned, Christian home. The worst years of my life were spent in that school. There was no room for individuality and no room for ideas. It was truly awful. I'm only now working on forgiving them and not holding a grudge against them. I've also had bad experiences with Mormons, Catholics, Jews, and others (but not Buddhists, mind you). That doesn't mean that I hate them or think that every person involved with any of those religions is judgemental like the many are. It's just that most of them (in my experience) are quite judgemental, unsure of themselves and therefore extremely defensive. The definition of religion - "religion (n.) A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader." There have been horrible things done in the name of 'religion' or even 'god'. Also, so many Americans (people in the U.S.) claim to be Christians but don't show any values that Christ taught and therefore I can't go to most churches because of the hypocrisy. I don't really like to be called a Christian because of the negative connotation that it has. These are just some reasons why I have a problem with the word 'religion'.

Does this seem to make sense? What do you feel about what I have stated?

Comments

• XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    good post,

Thought provoking.

I don't believe anyone needs to have a religion. Interesting that you as well as many others here, seem to be "forgiving", but there seems that forgiveness is a one way street-at least in my experience!

Take my wife (not that old joke), she declares herself not greatly religious (shes catholic), but she was actually more buddhist than I was-and she didn't even know it!
    keep smiling,
    I think that is the best way to live, minimise harm.

regards,
    Richard
  • edited February 2006
    I too distrust religion in that it abdicates spiritual responsibility from the individual to a social organisation whose interests may not include your spiritual development. However, in the absence of organised religion there would seem to be a void people fill with materialistic rather than spiritual pursuits.

Perhaps religion is not neccessary, or even a hinderance, for those who have chosen a spiritual path but for those who for whatever reason choose not to take personel responsibility for their spiritual development religion provides a valuable moral outlet?
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I can't be too objective about religion because I've been seriously wounded by it, specifically "Christianity"....The worst years of my life were spent in that school. There was no room for individuality and no room for ideas. It was truly awful. I'm only now working on forgiving them and not holding a grudge against them. I've also had bad experiences with Mormons, Catholics, Jews, and others (but not Buddhists, mind you). .... It's just that most of them (in my experience) are quite judgemental, unsure of themselves and therefore extremely defensive.

It is extremely important here to remember that what people do has nothing whatsoever to do with the Religion they purport to represent. The religion per se has nothing wrong with it. It is the interpretation and the application by those whose thinking is misguided, that is flawed.
    The definition of religion - "religion (n.) A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader."

Your dictionary must be different to mine....

RELIGION

noun 1 the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, especially a personal God or gods. 2 a particular system of faith and worship. 3 a pursuit or interest followed with devotion.

ORIGIN originally in the sense life under monastic vows: from Latin religio ‘obligation, reverence’.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/religion?view=uk

For me, Buddhism is exactly described by definitions 2 & 3. All Theistic Religions are described by definition number 1. Your definition may imply that the Spiritual leader may well be mortal... it makes no reference to a Deity or Omnipotent Being.... a somewhat peculiar definition....
    There have been horrible things done in the name of 'religion' or even 'god'. Also, so many Americans (people in the U.S.) claim to be Christians but don't show any values that Christ taught and therefore I can't go to most churches because of the hypocrisy.

Not only in America dear heart... I have met many similar in both England and France....
    I don't really like to be called a Christian because of the negative connotation that it has. These are just some reasons why I have a problem with the word 'religion'.

"If you hate the Roman Catholic Church, or even Chritianity, you are as tightly bound by it as if you love it."
    (Reverend Jack Austin, quoted by Jim Pym, in his book "You don't have to sit on the floor!" P. 160, Chapter 20, 'Buddhism & Christianity'. )

Cultivate Love, Compassion and Forgiveness for those whom you perceive have done you wrong. I emphasise, 'whom you perceive', because in their eyes, maybe they were just trying to help and guide you, little realising the negative effect it would have. That is their Truth. You have seen it according to your own evaluation. So that is Your Truth.....
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    It is extremely important here to remember that what people do has nothing whatsoever to do with the Religion they purport to represent. The religion per se has nothing wrong with it. It is the interpretation and the application by those whose thinking is misguided, that is flawed.

This would imply that religion exists as something seperate from the human psyche, that it has an objective reality. No problem there then for any monotheists. I would take issue with it though by saying that religion is a social construct and so people's interpretation and application of religion is exactly what it is - it has no reality except that which its proponents portray. Also, as a social construct religion is susceptable to the same flaws as any joint human endevour.

However, this is not neccessarily a bad thing as extreme views of the few can be tempered by the moderate majority.

Sorry about this, i'm researching social philosophy for my work and these are the sort of thoughts bouncing around in my head.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I'm sorry. perhaps I should have elaborated and clarified, but I didn't want to make my post long and tedious.
    My point is that any theistic religion has as its central core message one of Love, Empathy and Compassion.... whilst I do not in any way argue the point that 'Religion is a social construct' I was merely trying to illustrate that (perhaps because of this very point!) humans have lost or blurred the central message to their own advantage and interpretation.... therefore the central Letter of the Message has been completely obscured and/or distorted....
    Good luck with your research... !!
  • edited February 2006
    I have changed my opinion on religion. I used to think that being spiritual, and trying to be a compassionate individual was enough.

Now, I believe that the foundation practices found within Buddhism are vital to navigating higher realms of consiousness, and working towards liberation. Call it religion, it doesn't matter because at some point that drops away.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    twobitbob wrote:
    This would imply that religion exists as something seperate from the human psyche, that it has an objective reality. No problem there then for any monotheists. I would take issue with it though by saying that religion is a social construct and so people's interpretation and application of religion is exactly what it is - it has no reality except that which its proponents portray. Also, as a social construct religion is susceptable to the same flaws as any joint human endevour.

However, this is not neccessarily a bad thing as extreme views of the few can be tempered by the moderate majority.

Sorry about this, i'm researching social philosophy for my work and these are the sort of thoughts bouncing around in my head.

I would agree, with the caveat that terms need to be defined. "Religion" is used to cover both institutionalised religion and spirituality, whereas they are not necaessarily the same thing. Where I agree, is that institutionalised religion is a human, social, economic construct and, as such, subject to corruption, decay and all the other abuses that attach to power structures.

From my experience of the Christian churches in the UK, I have noticed a real grass-roots interest in spirituality alongside a growing lack of concern about the attitudes of central authority. In parallel, we see alternative power structures arising: Holy Trinity Brompton and the Alpha Course, for example, based on US models. In the Catholic Church, the Neo-Catechumenate Way and the Lefevre followers create their own, internal hirarchies. These new expressions of "churchianity" tend to be very 'ghetto-minded', they long for the certainties of the Domitian persecutions (which were, probably, far less than they make out). As a result, they are shrill and intolerant, attitudes which arise from the deep insecurity of suppressed doubt!

The rediscovery of Ignatian and Franciscan prayer by the laity and their adoption along with the mystical writings of Julian of Norwich, Hildegard and others is, of course, viewed with great suspicion by the church authorities as is the incorporation of Sufi and Buddhist practices. But this 'movement' which is formless and without any centre gathers pace.
  • becomethesignalbecomethesignal Explorer
    edited February 2006
    I have much respect for emergent churches because I've experienced that they focus on loving others and not on following an exact set of rules and regulations. I don't hate any particular people group and I do my best to never hate any individual. Sometimes it's just hard. I suppose it is good to remember that most of these religious people are doing what they think is best and are helping you by 'guiding' you. However, I can't support any organization that tells a person exactly how they need to think, act, and live.
  • edited February 2006
    I agree with Simon, in that religion and spirtuality are not neccisarily the same thing. I am very young, but in my experience, and what I have gathered from my clumsy attemts at studies, spirituality is far more important than religion. Religion can be constricting, biased, harmful. It is not wise to follow a literal interpetation of someone else's reguritated beliefs. Anything that divides people can be harmful. How can a belief structure that tells you do it my way, and only my way, or you WILL go the hell be right? Isn't it better to think for yourself? I too, have had some unpleasant experiances with Christianity. How can you be a whole, and spiritualy healthy person if your religion tells you or someone you know it going to hell, for any one of a million reasons, some of which can't really be helped? It's very confusing, and I'm not very good at getting my thoughts out coherently. I do not believe we need religion, but I believe we need many of the things some religions offer, like guidence and hope. I am very lost and confused. That's why I'm here I guess.
  • edited February 2006
    Excellent thought Will - and as a sidenote - some of the most "christian" behaving people I have met in my life have been confirmed atheists.

Well don't be lost and confused, lovie - your here among friends and there are some frightfully clever people (and warm hearted idiots like me) who will do all they can to get you "un-lost".
  • edited February 2006
    Hello all,
    "We never going to survive unless we get a little bit crazy.....Miracles will happen as we speak"
    by Seal.
    Truth is found not so much in words/concepts but in the deeds of the owner....
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    This is a really good thread. I agree with every post.
    HH the Dalai Lama always says that religion is not necessary to live a good and meaningful life. This is true for many. I was pretty sure I was never going to embrace any religion in this life after all the searching I had done. I felt that I didn't need it and I certainly didn't need a label. I was very spiritual and had my own spiritual ideas.

But then things began to change for me. And even when I began to take Buddhism to heart I still couldn't call myself a Buddhist because I felt I didn't know enough about it and therefore hadn't earned the right.

Fast forward to years later and I'm feeling just what Harlan said:
    I have changed my opinion on religion. I used to think that being spiritual, and trying to be a compassionate individual was enough.

Now, I believe that the foundation practices found within Buddhism are vital to navigating higher realms of consiousness, and working towards liberation. Call it religion, it doesn't matter because at some point that drops away.
    This is exactly how I feel today.

But it's all so highly personal and I think it may be a matter of where you're at in your journey and other things, like personality, inclination and even curiosity. And, of course, the big one that draws so many of us to religion; suffering, especially loss.

There are so many good posts on this thread. I love it here.

Brigid
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited March 2006
    My definition of "religion" is a system of how you live your life and how you reason the world.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I guess we'll find out someday... if there really is a Rapture.

Or maybe we'll just die and never know the answer to this question.

-bf
    edited March 2006
    If anybody wants to follow anything, I suggest they follow Knitwitch's 'loony-on-the-loose blogspot'....

I wet myself laughing.
  • edited March 2006
    Excellent suggestion!
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I'm surprised ZM didn't tell us that we don't have to do anything...much less follow a religion.

Except die, of course.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    Die on the cushion yes. :)
  • edited December 2006
    I think that it is mostly (as I see it, for me) unnecessary to be a part of a particular religion. Religion does tend to have fanatic followers and most religions can cause one to be dogmatic. I think that if a person does their best to choose actions that bring life to others and themselves, if a person is lawful and courteous to others, open minded, and follows after virtues that seem to be most important (ie. love, kindness, sacrifice), bases their lives on logic and common sense and does not focus only on themselves then I don't think that person would regret their life or be unfulfilled. To live life to the best of one's ability is what I hope people would focus on.

I can't be too objective about religion because I've been seriously wounded by it, specifically "Christianity". I had to go to a "Christian" school and I grew up in a mostly old fashioned, Christian home. The worst years of my life were spent in that school. There was no room for individuality and no room for ideas. It was truly awful. I'm only now working on forgiving them and not holding a grudge against them. I've also had bad experiences with Mormons, Catholics, Jews, and others (but not Buddhists, mind you). That doesn't mean that I hate them or think that every person involved with any of those religions is judgemental like the many are. It's just that most of them (in my experience) are quite judgemental, unsure of themselves and therefore extremely defensive. The definition of religion - "religion (n.) A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader." There have been horrible things done in the name of 'religion' or even 'god'. Also, so many Americans (people in the U.S.) claim to be Christians but don't show any values that Christ taught and therefore I can't go to most churches because of the hypocrisy. I don't really like to be called a Christian because of the negative connotation that it has. These are just some reasons why I have a problem with the word 'religion'.

Does this seem to make sense? What do you feel about what I have stated?
    THE BUDDHA (SIDDHARTHA GAUTAMA-THE FOUNDER OF BUDDHISM) STATED THAT WE ARE BASICALLY TO BE ISLANDS OF STRENGTH AND SELF-SUFFICENCY TO OURSELVES. I SEE THAT AS AN INVITATION FOR US ALL TO GO-WITHIN AND CONNECT WITH OUR OWN BUDDHA NATURE. THIS MEANS THAT THE ULTIMATE "HIGHER POWER" IS YOU ! JUST EXACTLY HOW YOU CHOSE TO DO THIS IS UP TO YOUR OWN PERSONAL CHOICE---AS LONG AS YOU SEEK TO DO SO WITH LOVE AND COMPASSION. THESE ARE THE MOST IMPORTANT INGREDIENTS.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited January 2007
    Holy mackerel, Mast! What's all the shouting for? lol!
  • edited January 2007
    Brigid wrote:
    Holy mackerel, Mast! What's all the shouting for? lol!
    No shouting here my dear! Merely a rousing, lively exchange of ideas ! Peace - Out Boo ! Everything's COOL!.....NAMASTE!!!:om:
  • edited January 2007
    LOVE YA ALL !!!!!
  • edited January 2007
    religion is a label, and an personal ideal we create involving expectations and what we want it to be..

In cases its a scapegoat for why we feel bad. In truth like every idea ever made, it don't exist.
  • edited June 2007
    become the signal, i can totally relate to what u have stated. religion in my opinion is how one views the world and how the enigma of the questions "where do we come from and why we are here?" are answered, as well as a core set of beliefs and ethics