Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Buddha on work

edited October 2011 in Buddhism Basics
There is a quote attributed to the Buddha which I've been thinking about : "“Your work is to discover your work and then with all your heart give yourself to it.”

1 - Where is this from exactly?

2 - What is YOUR understanding of right livelihood?

I'm starting to make some sense of what I might need to do for work. I've been struggling on what path to follow. But it's hitting me, with more frequency lately, that the issue is motivation. I only get some level of motivation when I'm doing something for other people. This doesn't mean I always like to help, far from it...but that's because the knot that is my ego is too tight sometimes. The few moments of clarity I have (usually when I suffer deeper and tears are involved) on the subject of what to do, always involve relieving suffering in others and I've also been feeling lately that my motivation for happiness is too unstable and I might need to have to come up with a better primary value in life. I'm not very good at living for myself. I tend to be inactive when I have lots of time for myself and I don't feel the drive to achieve anything. Right now, I'm more concerned in testing my hypothesis than finding an answer to what I like to do - the hypothesis is I don't know WHAT i like to do, but I know that being strong for others and promoting peace are two big chunks of the puzzle. So, what are your thoughts on the subject? :)

Comments

• I never finished college and I'm now 41 years old. One of the best jobs I ever had was in New Orleans working for Bridge House, which has a year long program for alcoholics and drug users. We used to work in conjunction with some of the homeless shelters there. I just happened to land a position in their accounting department doing spreadsheets, that sort of thing. The employees and the clients were wonderful and I'd often go across the street to eat in the cafeteria with the clients. As the clients advanced through the program, they would sometimes work there in the office. Once we had one guy who seemed to be doing so well and he made off with about $50 in petty cash and we were all bummed out-- not about the money, but because we knew just what he was going to do with the money. Anyway, it was good to play a small part in helping out there.

In a very strange roundabout way, I also now work at a hospital in the ER. I just register patients, and even though I don't do any hands-on work, its good to just be there for the patients and give a human touch to the situation (which sadly gets overlooked once they see the doctors and the nurses sometimes). But just being there is an opportunity to reach out in a simple, but human way. Its one of the most stressful jobs I've ever had (I'm now the supervisor in my department) but it has also been one of the most rewarding. And its sure been a big part of my practice now too!

The really crazy thing is that I am not at all a "people person"-- most of my jobs have been in an isolated cubical somewhere. When I took this position in the ER, at first I really didn't think I was going to make it. And in spite of the high pressure and other complications, I really like my job just because I'm helping people in some small way.

The worst job I ever had was working for a foreclosure law firm, specifically in the business of evicting people. Thankfully I was transferred to their accounting department, but it was a very demoralising job nevertheless.

I've worked a variety of other jobs here and there, some better than others, but the best jobs have been the ones where I have been able to help people in need. Even if it isn't anything major, you're still doing something to help make a positive difference in people's lives. That's enough to make it all worth it IMO.

• CinorjerCinorjer Veteran
    edited October 2011
    "Whatever you are doing, that is your Buddha nature." (Old Zen saying)

I am not familiar with the quote, and would not agree with it in the form its been translated. To discover your work? Work is what you are doing right now. There, you've just discovered it. Give yourself to it? Just give what you're doing your complete attention. Nothing special. Give your work the same consideration you give shaving in the morning.

As for right livelihood, I have a slightly different take on it than the old monks who lived in a different world, one where your role in life was chosen early and you were pretty much stuck with it. Children were apprenticed or followed their father's footsteps with severly limited options for a change of career. If the family had money, you could get an education and work for the government. If not, join your father with the rest of your village as a tile maker. Only the wealthy or privilaged got anything like a real choice. But now, you are looking at endless possibilities and feel overwhelmed. So simplify.

So in today's world, right livelihood is simple. It means earn your money in a way that doesn't hurt people or take advantage of them. So what jobs does that eliminate? You'll know when you see the job. Take sales. There are jobs in sales that involve cheating and lying to the customer, and sales jobs that provide a valuable product or service that is well worth the money. You can be selling illegal drugs or wheelchairs or houses. Your goal can be a happy customer or cashing their check before they notice they've been ripped off. It's all sales.

As for motivation, a job is work that someone has to pay you to do. If it was fun, they'd charge you for the privilege of doing it. So, don't have unrealistic expectations of finding fulfillment in your job. Having said that, don't worry about motivation. That will come. Motivation comes as you accumulate responsibilities-- to the people who provide that pay check, to your family, to the many companies that expect payment each month for things like shelter and lights and heat. Welcome to the human race.
  • The best job I've even had was doing deliveries for a flower shop in Downers Grove. Most orders I delivered were gifts so the recipient often was not expecting them. Usually they were happy to get the flowers, although a fair amount of people seemed indifferent about it. And delivering to old folks was the absolute best. There were things that absolutely sucked about that job (the wear on my car, having great difficulty finding some locations, sometimes having an incorrect address and/or phone number to contact the person), but seeing someone light up upon getting their flowers made it worth it.
  • B5CB5C Veteran
    I work for a big red retail chain. I love my job. Working in retail maybe hectic due to consumerism. I am happy that I get to make my co-workers happy and make my customers happy. It's great when I see a guest happy when I leave. Also working with great bosses who respect you is great.
  • edited October 2011
    I manage a backpacker's hostel, and it's the best job I've done so far. Sure you get difficult guests, but the friendliness of the people overall make up for more than that. I've never had a bad day at work so far. Talking to guests and learning from them and making friends and sometimes being matchmaker or just a listening ear to people is indescribable. And we cook and share recipes and enjoy each other's company.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Great thread!
    Let's bump this!
  • One of my favourite jobs was street cleaning. Fresh air, exercise, a chance to connect with the community and helping the world to be a cleaner, safer place...that was an awesome year of my life. Sadly it was only a 12-month contract, but I feel I got a great deal out of my time in that job. (Although getting rained on was a bit of a bummer at times.)

I am now a private English tutor and proofreader by trade. I love teaching and seem to be fairly good at it. Having said that, though, I don't think I'd want to be a school teacher, at least not in a state school - the level of bureaucracy to do with the UK'S National Curriculum and school regulations detracts from the actual teaching.