Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cuckoo Nest Buddhism

edited February 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Hello folks,

I come accross this blog, it reveals pretty much in a nutshell what you find on typical Buddhist boards of today. Be sure to check out the Cuckoo Buddhism topic. It pretty funny, I laughed by rear end off, :rockon:

http://journals.aol.com/thezennist/TheBuddhist

Regards,

Nam

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    ....You don't get out much, do you....? :lol::lol:
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    ....You don't get out much, do you....? :lol::lol:

Day off for me here in the state, ;) thought that I shared something interesting that hopefull open people mind a little. And what do you mean, Mrs. federica by that statement?:poke:

Cheers,

Nam
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    That's a great site!

Have to admire a person who finds "honor" in causing unrest and disharmony.

I'm sure Buddha would have done the same.

-bf
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Having followed some links and done some reading of my own about the Nirvana Sutra, I have come across this:
    Nirvana Sutra There are two sutras having this title, one Mahayana and one Hinayana. Both have the same complete title: Mahaparinirvana Sutra. Both sutras recount the events which took place and the teachings of the Buddha which he bestowed immediately prior to his entering nirvana. The perspective and scope of the two works is, of course, radically different. As to length, the Hinayana text is chapter length, while the Mahayana sutra is three volumes in English translation.

BTTS References: Translation of the Mahayana sutra is in progress. (Note: The only complete English translation now available is The Mahayana Mahaparinirvana-sutra; a complete translation from the Chinese classical language in 3 volumes. Yamamota, Kosho, tr. Oyama (Japan):Karinbunko, 1973. A translation of the other Sutra has been done by the Pali Text Society as "Book of the Great Decease." Dialogues of the BuddhaIII, pp. 78-191.)
    http://online.sfsu.edu/~rone/Buddhism/BuddhistDict/BDN.html#NirvanaSutra

I can see that this is a Mahayana site of a somewhat disrespectful stripe, and I apologise for the use of the description Hinayana to describe the Theravadin tradition. I debated whether to amend the text but decided that it enables us to understand bias.

For a more extended discussion and to read one of the texts:
    http://www.nirvanasutra.org.uk/historicalbackground.htm

• edited February 2006
    What a load of crap!!!!!:rarr:
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    No no, Esau, don't beat about the bush, come on.... say what you REALLY mean....!! :hiding: :D:lol:
  • edited February 2006
    federica wrote:
    No no, Esau, don't beat about the bush, come on.... say what you REALLY mean....!! :hiding: :D:lol:

I can't I'm too shy:hair:
    edited February 2006
    Esau wrote:
    What a load of crap!!!!!:rarr:

What is it that you see as 'crap', Esau? The sutra or the commentaries?
  • edited February 2006

What is it that you see as 'crap', Esau? The sutra or the commentaries?

Not the Sutra, just this...... and like he's the only one who truly understands Buddhism!!!

Basic Teachings of the "Mahayana Mahaparinirvana Sutra", by Dr. Tony Page

The living heart of the message delivered by the Buddha in the Nirvana Sutra is that the Buddha never, ever, truly dies or becomes destroyed. Obliteration or extinction of his innermost being is an utter impossibility. Only his physical form passes away, but that physical form is in any case an impermanent Buddhic projection or conjuration - not the ultimate Buddha who lies beyond it, the Buddha who knows no beginning in time or space and equally knows no end. The Buddha is not a being of flesh, sinews, blood and bones, but is the eternal Dharmakaya ("Body of Truth"), which is unfabricated, unconditioned, without bounds, ungraspable, invisible, and deathless.

The second key teaching of this sutra is the doctrine of the concealed presence within all beings of the "Buddha-dhatu" ("Buddha-Element", "Buddha-Principle", "Buddha-Sphere"). This term has long been (mis)translated as "Buddha-nature" and is now well known as such; but it is perhaps advisable henceforth to use the correct expression, Buddha-dhatu, to avoid the impression that what is being spoken of here is the Buddha's "temperament" or "character" or "disposition" within us. This is not quite the meaning ascribed to it in the Nirvana Sutra. The Buddha-dhatu has more of the sense of "Buddha Factor" or "Buddha Principle" than "nature". Thus, "Buddha Nature" will gradually be amended to "Buddha-dhatu" in the Yamamoto text of the sutra, included on this website, as time permits.

What is the Buddha-dhatu?

It is the uncreated, utterly pure, unconditioned, inviolable, indestructible, firm and unshakeable, eternal Buddhic Essence (svabhava) of all sentient beings. It is the life-force (jivaka), the nurturing power within the being which sustains him or her and which, when fully seen and known, transforms that being into a Buddha. It is the "True Self" (satyatman) or the "Great Self" (mahatman) of the Buddha himself, and is all-knowing (sarvajna). It is nothing less than Reality (not just a metaphor pointing to some future potential). It is present within us, right here, right now.

Another name for this Buddha-dhatu is Tathagata-garbha. The literal meaning of this expression is "Buddha-Womb" or "Buddha-Embryo". The term implies that it is needful for the Buddhist practitioner to enter into the Buddhic Womb deep inside him/herself in order to be re-born as a new Buddha. And that Buddha-Womb inheres in the very depths of the Buddha's ultimate being itself, in his Dharmakaya (primordial true being). The Buddha is thus seen as the generative and sustaining source of everlasting life. He likens himself to a great lake which gives rise to all the life-streams of the gods and humans and to a great ocean upon which they all converge in the longest-lasting life of all - that of the Buddha himself.

Although the term, Tathagata-garbha, does include the connotation of "embryo", the Tathagata-garbha should not be viewed as something which is itself growing, developing or maturing into perfection. It is already perfect, pure and replete with all virtuous, inconceivable Buddha-qualities. What is necessary is simply that the worldly being should inwardly advance ever closer to realisation - that is, perception - of the inner Tathagata-garbha, by clearing away all the kleshas (negative mental states and tendencies, such as greed, anger, ignorance, pride, and jealousy), which conceal it from view. The eradication of such moral and emotional afflictions allows the Buddha-dhatu or Tathagata-garbha to stand revealed in all its radiant splendour; but the Tathagata-garbha itself remains forever unchanged and unshakeable (dhruva) as the quintessence and cause of Buddhahood.

Because of the presence of the sacred Buddha-dhatu within the depths of each being's mind, all beings should be treated with kindness, compassion and an attitude of equality: one should not kill any living person or creature, and one should desist from eating meat, as flesh consumption "destroys great loving-kindness" and causes fear to arise in numerous animals, great and small. The Bodhisattva (trainee Buddha) should never inflict harm on any being and should instead be intent on bestowing "eternal life" upon each person and creature, by leading that being - through the use of skilful means (kausalya-upaya) - into the sanctuary of Nirvana: highest, everlasting happiness and peace.

Should one renounce Nirvana oneself, in order to help others towards it first? According to the Mahaparinirvana Sutra, the answer is "no": one should first attain Awakening (bodhi) and Nirvana for oneself, and then one will best be placed to lead others to it too. Yet while one is seeking Awakening for oneself, one should act for the benefit of others also. The motivation for reaching Awakening should be the dual one of finding enduring happiness for oneself and of pointing the way to such happiness for others as well.

What constitutes the Path to Awakening and Nirvana? The chief route advocated by this sutra is the extirpation of the negative mental states and immoral modes of behaviour (including selfish desire, hatred, ignorance, avarice, and wrong livelihood - such as being a soldier or killer of animals), the cultivation of the paramitas (moral perfections, such as generosity, and meditation), the leading of a pure and harmless life, faithful study, practice and veneration of the Mahaparinirvana Sutra, and the constant meditative cultivation of the idea of the Buddha's eternity, unchangeability and indestructibility. The Buddha states: "The Tathagata [i.e. the Buddha] will reside in the homes of those who constantly think that the Tathagata is eternal [nitya], immovable [dhruva] and everlasting [sasvata]." (Tibetan version, Chapter Eight, "The Four Methods of Teaching"). Worship of, and the making of offerings (e.g. incense) to, the Nirvana Sutra, are also positive acts which generate wholesome karma and bring one closer to Nirvana.

(Note: I plan to set up another website devoted mainly to quotations from some of the other main "Tathagatagarbha" sutras. You can access this website at:

http://www.webspawner.com/users/bodhisattva/index.html

But at present it only contains a very brief Introduction. I hope to add more substantial material later in 2006 and 2007!)
    edited February 2006
    Thank you for the clarification, Esau. It just confirms me in my view that most (if not all) commenatry, exegesis and explanation is to be treated with extreme caution!