Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Comprehensive guide to meditative states?

edited October 2011 in Meditation
I have heard that Vishudimaga skips over the earliest stages which is where I'm at so I'm wondering if there is a guide that includes the earliest stages. I've been meditating for a few weeks. Sometimes I reach a state of stillness and internal silence where my inner space seems to expand a bit. It always seems pretty particular and consistent so I am thinking this is a stage a lot of practitioners pass through so I'm wondering what the next stage beyond that is and if there is anything in particular i need to do to ease myself into that next step... I know I can't rush my practice and I'm not trying to just to clarify.

Comments

• Mahasi Sayadaw wrote a guide that explains the various states pretty well, but I can't remember the name. "Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond" by Ajahn Brahm is quite detailed as well.
  • I have heard that Vishudimaga skips over the earliest stages which is where I'm at so I'm wondering if there is a guide that includes the earliest stages. I've been meditating for a few weeks. Sometimes I reach a state of stillness and internal silence where my inner space seems to expand a bit. It always seems pretty particular and consistent so I am thinking this is a stage a lot of practitioners pass through so I'm wondering what the next stage beyond that is and if there is anything in particular i need to do to ease myself into that next step... I know I can't rush my practice and I'm not trying to just to clarify.
    One of my biggest blessings was not to get sucked into the mentality or literature of meditative achievement.

If you practice, and your intentions and practice is genuine/sincere, flowering can and will occur. But to track it may not be very wise IMO.

Best wishes,
    Abu
  • The above book by Ajahn Brahm is good. Bhante Helenpola Gunaratana wrote a book on the jhanas that is excellent...

That being said, I have found reading about these states to be worthless for the most part and actually detremental. For me, it led to expectations... Attachement to those expectations... And suffering when the expectations were not met.

Reading about meditative states can be fun and interesting, but should be taken with a grain of salt... And obviously is in no way a replacement for the experience of those states.