Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

so my goal to be tri-lingual

AMHAMH
edited October 2011 in General Banter
I really have had this goal to be tri-lingual. I know English, took 4 years of college French (but just need to talk) and just started Spanish. I keep hearing that it takes like 5 years to get fluent, and I am 45, but honestly that doesn't bother me too much. I just want to know if other people have done this, does it HAVE TO take 5 years to really use the language (I can immersed in Spanish here in Colorado), and what do you do with this if most people want a native speaker for things? I could teach English overseas in Spanish or French speaking countries, but I kinda want to stay in the same country as my kids.

Just thinking out loud

Comments

• DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited October 2011
    No, it doesn't have to take 5 years. To get fluent in both, you mean? First of all, you'll find Spanish to be so similar to French that it'll take you half the time to learn it, that it took you to learn French. Who's told you it takes 5 years to get fluent? That's kind of a meaningless statement, when you think about it. 5 years to get fluent at what level? Basic conversational level? Advanced level? Fluent in discussing politics and all the news of the day? Fluent at discussing medicine and nuclear physics?

Heerdt, ignore whatever "they" say. You can be speaking Spanish conversationally after one year. Piece of cake. I take it you have a DVD or other audio component to your French and Spanish texts? Use those audio components. Let your ears just soak up the language. And during spare moments, like when you're taking a walk, or doing dishes at home, or are enjoying a little down time, practice in your mind everything you're learning. Make up imaginary scenarios in which you're talking to somebody, and use all the vocabulary you know, even if it's only 2 chapters' worth in the book. Make up spontaneous dialogues and play them out in your imagination. Have fun with it.

Doing this, you'll make quick progress. Fluency? hah! Piece of cake. You're already halfway there. ;) Enjoy.
  • Thank you! I still do that practice conversation with French quite often even though college was 20 years ago.

I started using this book that is awesome for getting ready for SAT's and GRE's. It is called English from the Roots Up, It has 100 Greek and Latin roots used in English. Well many of those are also in French and Spanish. So I am putting sticky notes of French adn Spanish words on each page.

My goal is to have basic behavior or special needs conferences with families at my schools. I think that will have a limited vocabulary and if I can so some of it in a year i will still use a translator for support but I think famlies will appreciate being able to talk to me more directly.

• It's always a courtesy to speak someone else's language well, if only on a limited basis. And once you have fluency in the basics, you can buy a medical dictionary (bilingual) or find some articles on your subject matter, then translate them, and memorize the new vocabulary. What a great project! And with such a practical (and compassionate!) application! :thumbsup:
  • You can never really be "fluent" in a language unless you speak it every day. You can become proficient, but not truly fluent. Nothing wrong with proficiency though.
  • What I've found to be effective (and fast) language learning programs are the Pimsleur courses. If only I could stick with it, I could become fluent in another language in just a few months. ;)
  • thank you all, There is a set of courses in our school district called fluency fast. I asked one of my white princiapals how she learned spanish (she seemed very proficient, makes announcements, handles parent meetings in 2 languages withot a translator). the kicker is that it costs $500 for an intensive 3 days. I am getting started through other programs under my same grant so i can get Spanish I and II for one night a week and for free! Also someone may have that program, ack the really well known and costly one that works, I forget the name. But she is not using it so I may be able to borrow it. In any case I will keep you updated, (and hopefully in Spanish instead of English and French)
  • Go for it! :thumbsup: