Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Conducting oneself with regards to the 10 precepts

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited October 2011 in Philosophy
Recently I have been going about my daily life being a lot more mindful of my thoughts and actions. I came across the 10 precepts which I know are not directed at lay buddhists, but I really do feel at a point where it is time for change and even going to the extremes of the dharma, because that is what the buddha said when he died, let the dharma be your teacher.
Anyway, the 10 precepts, 3 bodily actions, 4 of speech and 3 of the mind-I try to lead a virtuous life but in the modern day society it seems alomost impossible to go about such a thing properly.

We are mostly buddhists on this forum, and we all follow the dharma to certain extents, but it seems to me to attain liberation from samsara one really should ordain. If not, then you can improve your life without going to the extremes but to me, there is a fundamental problem in the world and we all know what that is, duhkha

Comments

• Ordination does put one on a straight-and-narrow path, directed toward liberation. Most lay Buddhists don't go beyond the Five Precepts, sometimes the Eight Precepts for special occasions, and their goals and efforts vary. Glad to hear of the path that you're on ThailandTom. :)
  • Well, it is just the more I read and the more I practice and look around the world I am in, it seems almost instictive to ordaine. If I am a buddhist, which I try to be, what better way to go about it than to go ahead and do what the founder of our religion did....
  • CloudCloud Veteran
    edited October 2011
    I'd love to ordain, myself. It's just not that easy where I'm at and with the situation I'm in.
    I'm rootin' for ya, Tom!
  • Sounds like you are calling things into question Tom. I too am inspired by the 10 precepts. Often I make a mess with the speach ones and I remember the rules and just 'do my work' (be ethical) rather than get caught up in bullshit.
  • I hate to gossip, but here in thailand, my gf ALWAYS comes home with stories of gossip, so I just listen and nod basically. If she is hurt in anyway by the gossip, then I obviously provibe compassion.

But yes, the 10 precepts indicate to me the true way to live life, the pure way. The society you live in and even I live in is greatly backwards to this, thus suffering. I have many a temple I could right now go and be ordained at, I am just waiting for the conditions to be correct which IMO will not be too long.

But it is good to keep in mind of the 10 precepts even as a lay buddhist I have concluded. They are there for a reason like everything is.