Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Truth of The Path

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited October 2011 in Philosophy
According to the Madhyamaka explanation of liberation, the true path should be understood in terms of a direct realization of emptiness. This is because the intuitive realization of emptiness leads directly to the attainment of cessation. however, in order to have such a realization one must a basis in single pointed meditation, since this is what leads to an experiential knowledge of emptiness.
The point at which an individual attains that knowledge is said to be the beginning of what is known as the path of connection, or path of perception, and at the point he or she gains direct intuitive realization of emptiness is called the path of seeing. Before this (which relates to the 4 noble truths) there is the path of accumulation and also the shravakayana path where a great deal of preparation is necessary, training in morality, concentration and wisdom. Also the Mayayana path relates largely to compassion as it is key to buddhism as a whole.

So, does anybody have opinions or knowledge about these paths, are they all necessary in your opinion and are they meant to be conducted in order?

Comments

• cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    The Srvakayana paths are contained within the Mahayana training so there is no real need for Mahayana practitoners of authentic lineages to first recieve instruction of the Srvakayana paths, Of course I always enjoy reading the vinaya Sutra's and base Sutra's of Buddha as a supplement to what I know already. The Srvakayana paths can lead one up to the point of Liberation but even eventually it is said these Arhants whom after they pass from this world abide in states of their choosing where they engage in futher single pointed concentration after many aeons they are awakened by the Buddha's to remind them of the suffering of others within Samsara so that they should persue the development of Bodhichitta and complete purifcation of the imprints of delusion in order to attain full enlightenment.
    Eventually they all come into the Mahayana but it does not take away the beauty of the path of the solitary conqueors as Buddha taught different capacities of all sentient beings to free them from Samsara.

Some are not willing to be stirred by great compassion just yet but being stirred by metta and loving kindness is a great preliminary to accomplishment :)
  • I have great compassion for others, sentient beings, but find it somewhat difficult to sometimes find it for myself.

The path was laid over 2,500 years ago, it has been modified a little by various people and schools, but like you said, in the end they all lead to a final destination if persues with right effort.
    In the subconscious of my mind, I now see that ' Mahayana ' has always been there, almost without me knowing it was there all along.