Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Why compare?

XraymanXrayman Veteran
edited March 2006 in NewBuddhist.com
Just was wondering if there is any real need to have a buddhism for muslims, for atheists etc. it seems that we as buddhists are "Mindfull" of other religions, but are they extending the favour to us on their sites?

I wonder if there is a discussion on the Islamic Fundamentalist discussion forum about Islamic Fundamentalism for Buddhists???

regards,
X

:confused:

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I also get the distinct impression at times that members of other faiths and denominations come onto our forum, ostensibly to learn about Buddhism and to maybe seek similarities between Buddhism and their religion - but what they actually do is attempt to antagonise forum members into a debate, or goad and provoke Buddhist members into being defensive and Unmindful in their Views and Speech.

Or is it just me.....?

Hmmmmm.......... Just a thought......:scratch: :D
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Yes I think you're right Federica.

I'm all for Comparitive Theology, but are we giving these people a little too much "Space", I'm sure we could come up with some better-ideas, how about Buddhism and sexuality? Buddhism for kids, perhaps Buddhism In Comparison to other theologies, Buddhism for Dummies (I'm joking), but I think I made my point..

Maybe buddhism for Writers on buddhism discussion forums?

Or here's a novel idea, Buddhism for Buddhists. teehee.

regards,
    X
  • edited February 2006
    Hello all,
    In my humble opinion I would perfer to keep the other forums as it does give people an insight into the "mind" of certain individuals and how they are able to express their faiths. Insight is important, for isn't insight into our own "true" natures one of the buddhist ideals. Are we truly threatened by how others behave towards us(in cyber space)??? I mean, the need for rules, language use, protection of the innocent, all of that has been bought out in another thread......
    Xman fudamentalists are never going to give out the warm and fuzzies, why worry???? They think you, I, fede and everyone else apart from them are either bomb fodder or going to rot in some smelly dank hell anyway!!!

The greatest achievement is selflessness.
    The greatest worth is self-mastery.
    The greatest quality is seeking to serve others.
    The greatest precept is continual awareness.
    The greatest medicine is the emptiness of everything.
    The greatest action is not conforming with the worlds ways.
    The greatest magic is transmuting the passions.
    The greatest generosity is non-attachment.
    The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.
    The greatest patience is humility.
    The greatest effort is not concerned with results.
    The greatest meditation is a mind that lets go.
    The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances.
    Atisha

My two cents.....ITS STILL ALL MINE!!!!!!!!!!:thumbsup:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    Just was wondering if there is any real need to have a buddhism for muslims, for atheists etc. it seems that we as buddhists are "Mindfull" of other religions, but are they extending the favour to us on their sites?

I wonder if there is a discussion on the Islamic Fundamentalist discussion forum about Islamic Fundamentalism for Buddhists???

regards,
    X

:confused:

Sorry, Xray, but I disagree. I don't think it's of any importance what favours are being extended to "us" on other websites. It's enough to extend the favour, that's all. We don't have to worry about the behaviour of others. It's enough to develop ourselves, don't you think?

I worry about the "us" and "them" syndrome. They are "us", and we are "them", really. There's no important difference and no separation between any beings. We all wish to find happiness and relief from suffering. We go about it in different ways, depending on our personalities, inclinations and where we are on the path. But these differences are trifling in comparison to the similarities of our overall condition. I've never regretted reaching out. I've always regretted not doing so.

Love,
    Brigid
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I just wonder sometimes if I yack about crap that isn't Buddhism too much.

Should Buddhist be somber and quiet all the time?

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:

-bf

BF,

Not sure I get your question? Somber and quiet all the time doesn't come to my mind when I see, for example, HH the Dalai Lama? Or many other Buddhists. They seem to be bubbling with joy and good humour. HH the Dalai Lama has a great giggle. :lol:

Brigid
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    True.

I was mostly talking about myself.

HHDL = bubbling with joy.
    Buddhafoot = bubbling with idiocy.

-bf
  • edited February 2006
    buddhafoot wrote:

-bf

YES. Now shut it.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    "Xman fudamentalists are never going to give out the warm and fuzzies, why worry???? They think you, I, fede and everyone else apart from them are either bomb fodder or going to rot in some smelly dank hell anyway!!!"

Cruel but fair.

mmm I think somewhere the point was missed..

I am being accepting of "them", they are not accepting of "us".
    By the way, Us and them are not my selection of words.

I was asking for some space dedicated to more "buddhist" related topics-thats all.

I'll pull my head in.
  • edited February 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    "Xman fudamentalists are never going to give out the warm and fuzzies, why worry???? They think you, I, fede and everyone else apart from them are either bomb fodder or going to rot in some smelly dank hell anyway!!!"

Cruel but fair.

mmm I think somewhere the point was missed..

I am being accepting of "them", they are not accepting of "us".
    By the way, Us and them are not my selection of words.

I was asking for some space dedicated to more "buddhist" related topics-thats all.

I'll pull my head in.

Hang on.......don't hurt your Limbic system!!!!!!!!!!!:crazy:
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    AAWWWW! "I'll pull my head in". You're a wittle turtle! That's so cute.

O.K. More Buddhist topics. But can we keep the other faiths as well? For good measure?
    What other topics were you thinking of? I bet we can come up with a ton.

Brigid
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Xrayman wrote:
    ".................................

Surely, that is up to each one of us. It is not the structure of the boards or the titles which predicate how much each of us posts on specifically 'Buddhist' topics. It is our own, individual decision.

Looking across all the fora here, I can see a remarkable diversity and a wide range of subjects discussed in largely respectful ways. There has been a 'board ethos' of respect and acceptance of diversity. And this has arisen and been fostered within the very flexible structure of the various headings.

Brian has said that New Buddhist was set up to help share the Dharma with those new to Buddhism. I believe that he has taken us beyond that into a real and (for some of us) regular practice of the Noble Eighfold Path on the Net. Reading many posts, it is clear that lessons learned and practised here are carried forward into the 'real' world.

I must admit that I took your expression "these people" personally, Xrayman. The strength of this community has always seemed to me to be that we are 'these people', all in the same samsaric boat together.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    The strength of this community has always seemed to me to be that we are 'these people', all in the same samsaric boat together.
    Yes, I agree, Simon. Let's keep this very Buddhist principle alive and well. We are each other, all floating in the same boat. I think this is important.

I'm sure Xray never meant for anyone here to take his point personally. I think he was referring to those who come here simply to cause trouble or to convert us. But I think a problem like that would be quickly taken care of by our excellent management team!
    Brian has said that New Buddhist was set up to help share the Dharma with those new to Buddhism. I believe that he has taken us beyond that into a real and (for some of us) regular practice of the Noble Eighfold Path on the Net. Reading many posts, it is clear that lessons learned and practised here are carried forward into the 'real' world.
    This has certainly be true for me, Simon. You said it beautifully. Thanks.

Brigid
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I'd really like to understand, how When I was referring to other discussion forums Specifically, how you have taken offence to one of my posts Simon???

I'm lost.

It was not directed at you-nor anyone else who decides to read/partake of our forums.
    I won't be responding to any further posts on this subject as I have already been answered (and accepted) the decision by the moderators/owners/webmasters of this site.

regards,
    X
  • NirvanaNirvana aka BUBBA   `     `   South Carolina, USA Veteran
    edited February 2006
    As I see things, the Pilgrim is simply standing up in defense of all his weaker brethren, by being counted as one among them. There's a real Everyman streak in Pilgrim which I admire. On mere conceptual terms he comes off in quite an illuminating way, but in matters dealing with our common humanity he can be very difficult to understand. I believe he's very deep and mystical on these matters.
    Here's an example (from Graven Images 101) of where he baffles me, but where I must simply accept his answer as being right for him:
    myself wrote:

__________________________________________________ _______________________

Posted by Brigid
    ...[The "jihadi" terrorists] are pretty anti-American, as well as anti-western, wouldn't you say?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

No disagreement here. They're also against other branches of Islam, so anti-Zionist is not really the best term for them, afterall. However, it should be understood that the West's support of the State of Israel is seen in these quarters as a provocative posture, and as the undergirding problem. I imagine in time we'll come up with a useful term for comprehending what they're all about. BUT THEY ARE NOT MOSLEM, the fact that they fancy themselves to be, notwithstanding.

They bring shame on their people, and not peace.
    Their mouths speak peace but they hurl bombs.
    They kill and maim and say they've done good deeds.
    They look out onto the good earth and all they see is ugliness.
    They see people building things and they imagine ways to bring these buildings down.

Muslims? No.
    Wanton Criminals? Yes.

And knowing these things, newspapers publish these insensitive cartoons?
    Shameless.
    These newspapers aren't interested in freedom of speech issues or freedom of the press. They're just interested in patting others in their profession on the back and letting the chips fall where they may. That is not concern with the search for truth (what freedom of speech is at root concerned with), but with status and personal or corporate gain...

Nirvana
    Nirvana,

Your post would be just as true to today if we were to substitute the word "Christian" or "Jew" where you have "Moslem". But our problem remains: these are people who have taken on the title of a faith system and, however much I may deplore their interpretations and views, I am not sure that I can judge who is and who is not a "true" member.

Simon

"PEACE. (and I really do mean that) " —Xrayman

----
    edited February 2006
    I shall try to explain, although Nirvana's comments about Everyman sums up the heart of my belief.

Xrayman wrote:
    ........[edit]................
    I'm all for Comparitive Theology, but are we giving these people a little too much "Space".............[edit].......................

Or here's a novel idea, Buddhism for Buddhists. teehee.

regards,
    X
    This is the quote that started me off: the words "are we giving these people a little too much space".

And I did say that it was I who was taking this personally - I accept that Xrayman did not mean it that way.

As ever, when the obscurity of my pose (and, probably, of my thought processes) is pointed out, I go back and look. Thank you. There is more to learn, each time. I hope that I may be able to share the thoughts arising from this topic in due course.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited February 2006
    OH! okay I understand perfectly! I'm very sorry Simon, Now I understand why you took it that way-I was not referring to the "Comparitive Theologists" at all.

I think in this case it was the non-clarity of my posts. This is an example of what my writing tutor points out as being poorly punctuated and unclear.

regards,
    Xrayman
  • edited February 2006
    hey xray..
    its our job to make everyone happy..hehe
  • edited February 2006
    My two cents: I thought it was weird to have Buddhism sections for every other faith...and none for Buddhists. You lump all Buddhist practices together by default...and yet point out/section out the world of 'others'. Almost as if you to say 'Us vs. all you guys.'
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    This was to indcate to other religions that they are always more than welcome onto our forum, and that we also welcome contribution from their perspective, to not only maybe point out individual POV's, but also to highlight that Religions actually have far lmore in common than people think.
    edited February 2006
    harlan wrote:
    My two cents: I thought it was weird to have Buddhism sections for every other faith...and none for Buddhists...
    RELIGION IS WEIRD because people are WIRED differently.

BTW, I think it's great that we've agreed to focus on what Buddhists have in common, rather than what separates them. I think it makes this a much friendlier website.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    I couldn't agree with you more, Nirvana and Fede.
    It ain't broke, IMHO.

Brigid
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    I couldn't agree with you more, Nirvana and Fede.
    It ain't broke, IMHO.

Brigid

Hello,
    It may not be broken, but it does keep getting dusty. Mmmmmm, yep it definatly needs a good scrubbing:cool:
    edited March 2006
    Esau wrote:
    Hello,
    It may not be broken, but it does keep getting dusty. Mmmmmm, yep it definitely needs a good scrubbing:cool:

I agree. We're very dusty and need a good scrubbing, in one respect even I can think of. Just look at the Judaism and Buddhism Forum: Just seven threads, and a mere 114 posts between them. We need more Jewish people coming around. They're so smart and the ones in the USA are the best people you'd ever want to know. Plus, you know that a significant percentage of them have already become Buddhist. I'm finally gonna meet a Jewish Buddhist I've heard my father talk about for years, this June in Colorado. I'm really looking forward to meeting her. We'll be on retreat for several days at this interreligious dialogue that's been going on for over twenty years now, and I hope to be able to spend some quality time with her.

But in the meantime, it would be great to have more Jewish/Buddhist stuff here.
    :rocker:

Maybe word will get out about newbuddhist.com and we'll get more Jewish contributors.
    edited March 2006
    You mean like... Buddha Schmudda....?:grin:

Just kidding..... ;)
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Quote from Nirvy,

"I agree. We're very dusty and need a good scrubbing, in one respect even I can think of. Just look at the Judaism and Buddhism Forum: Just seven threads, and a mere 114 posts between them."

I was going to highlight this anomoly-with respect to other discussion threads etc. but I thought I sounded "racist" or "religiosist" enough by my previous posts about this subject. teehee

P.S. Religiosist is my word-don't know if it's a real word-but if not, you may consider it copyright by Xrayman.
    edited March 2006
    Xrayman wrote:

P.S. Religiosist is my word-don't know if it's a real word-but if not, you may consider it copyright by Xrayman.

It would be ReligioNist or ReligioUsist....I looked it up inn my personal Fedesaurus.....

Religionist: (noun, adjective)
    1 A person who persistently quotes from religious texts and scriptures 2 A person who may show preference, bias or prejudice towards religion.
    See also 'Religiousist')
    :D
    edited March 2006
    I'm feeling kinda naughty tonight, and therefore I am going to say something I have long wanted to say.

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THESE TWO-THOUSAND WORD POSTS. Why do they have to be so long? Why not just give the URL, or whatever?

I, for one, am NOT going to read such a long post. Too much eye-strain, too much happening. When I read anything of that length or longer, I'll read it from a printed page, thank you. WHO DOES READ THESE ENDLESS POSTS?

If anyone really has anything to say, it CAN be said in a few paragraphs, and maybe a few more paragraphs of quotations and the like. But huge, multi-screen-height scrolldowns of small print? No way to bookmark where you've left off, and I'm NOT gonna cut-and-paste something that I'm probably not even gonna remember two minutes later. (Oops!) :rarr:

That said, several people on this site do make rather long posts —under 2000 words— that are very interesting and well received by me (and others too, I'm sure).

"I've noticed NB logging me out sometimes - but not at others. Don't know why that is.

I just use it for a lesson - things are sometimes what they seem - and at other times... not.

Just think of being 'logged in' as another sign of impermanence..."

-buddhafoot
  • edited March 2006
    hey im with nirvana on this one..
    iam even conciencious of how long mine are..
    sorry to the ones that go and on.. or cut and paste something
    huge.. im liable to pass it by to.
  • edited March 2006
    colleen wrote:
    hey im with nirvana on this one..
    iam even conciencious of how long mine are..
    sorry to the ones that go and on.. or cut and paste something
    huge.. im liable to pass it by to.

Yep, its these people that use medscape that annoy me:rant:
  • edited March 2006
    I'm still at the beginner stage where something practical will grab my attention and I'll read through it ... if it is a six page discussion on whether a particular translation meant

a) tie your rope to
    b) fix your cord to
    c) attach your string to

well, to be honest I haven't got time. But I appreciate that other people are fascinated by it and have already got a strong enough grasp of the basics to have time for this sort of intellectual gymnastics.

So it's impossible to regulate for everyone ... read the first few lines, if it grabs you, read it, if it doesn't, well you might miss out on a gem but it will still be on the board later when you want to find it again.
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    okay

Nirvy said it. Now let's all stone him.

(actually I agree, I NEVER read any of those long posts)

Reasons for not reading long posts.

1. I DON"T UNDERSTAND THEM. (to many mental gymnastics for me-attention deficit-non-diagnosed teeheee)

2. I have difficulty reading and editing my own writing without looking at others.

3. My comprehension was always poor and this causes me to have to refind my spot. Some things never change (at least not during this lifetime-for me).

Federica,
    Thanks for the theasurical derivation of the correct word-although I pefer my new word. haha.

regards,
    X
    edited March 2006
    Whilst there have been times when I have skimmed or skipped a long post once I realised that it did not cover something of interest, I must take issue with this idea about only posting short pieces.

The subjects uinder discussion are often extremely complex. As Elohim shows us, time and again, the amount of Buddhist scripture is enormous and we are dealing with a language and a context which are not our native ones. A short explanation, however pithy or witty, may betray the depth of the subject.

There are some of us here who will want to express some complicated and well-elaborated understandings. Must they be reduced to sound-bites because of possible reader laziness? I think not!

From the position of one whose poor eyesight continues to deteriorate, my only plea would be for more use of paragraphing in posts. Make them as long as they need to be but, for Kwan Yin's sake, break up the text.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I'm in full agreement with you, Simon.

If one doesn't wish to read the long posts, one doesn't have to. I'm just grateful to have the information shared. As Simon stated:
    The subjects uinder discussion are often extremely complex. As Elohim shows us, time and again, the amount of Buddhist scripture is enormous and we are dealing with a language and a context which are not our native ones. A short explanation, however pithy or witty, may betray the depth of the subject.
    I think this is an important point.
    Also, breaking up the the text, as Simon says (LOL!), makes long posts SO much easier to read on the screen.

Thanks for pointing this out, Simon.

Brigid

(I wonder how many times I can type your name in one post, Simon? LOL!)
  • edited March 2006
    Knitwitch wrote:
    But I appreciate that other people are fascinated by it and have already got a strong enough grasp of the basics to have time for this sort of intellectual gymnastics.

So it's impossible to regulate for everyone ... read the first few lines, if it grabs you, read it, if it doesn't, well you might miss out on a gem but it will still be on the board later when you want to find it again.

:)
    edited March 2006
    From the position of one whose poor eyesight continues to deteriorate, my only plea would be for more use of paragraphing in posts. Make them as long as they need to be but, for Kwan Yin's sake, break up the text.

I shoulda talked to the Pilgrim before I posted what I did, as I was also thinking how nice it would be if people would break the text up, so that we can find our way back later, or whatever.

I don't really enjoy looking a gift horse in the mouth often, but I was feeling a bit mischievous that day.

You all have been ever so kind in not even trying to suggest (YET) that I should be torn to pieces.