Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Rolling cigarett's ....for others?

minimayhen88minimayhen88 Veteran
edited October 2011 in General Banter
Dearest all,

My best friend, whom is more like a sister / husband ... than a friend!!! Her mother is coming to stay with her from Bulgaria. Her mother is in her 60's, speaks pretty much no English and has slight Altzheimers...The other night when my friend was talking to her on the phone, anticipating her arrival, she was excited by the thought that I would spend time with her and roll her cigaret's ... as she cant herself. I get on amazingly well with her, despite the language barrier!! ... and I feel that supplying her with ready rolled cigarets, will be breaking the fifth precept, of supplying intoxicants ... but I cant say no to her, as she is so sweet :(

please help ... x

Comments

• The minute you let your desire to not break any rules overcome your simple acts of compassion, you stray from the Dharma. Let the woman have her cigarettes and make her happy and if that means rolling cigarettes, then so be it.

• Did India have tobacco in Buddha's time?
  • ToshTosh Veteran
    Did India have tobacco in Buddha's time?
    No. It was from the Americas.

• zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited October 2011
    what would happen if you didn't roll them? would she just purchase pre-rolled cigarettes from the store? if so, then honestly, it really doesn't matter whether you do it or not. perhaps you could buy premium tobacco(like american spirit) and pride yourself on the fact that you are giving her a cigarette with less toxins than the ones in the stores.

over a year ago, my girlfriend and i both quit smoking. i've stuck with it, but she's started up again. for a while i was really strict with her and wouldn't even pick up cigarettes from the store for her when i was on my way home, but then i realized, if i don't... it won't make her stop smoking, it'll just make her have to get dressed from her PJs and run to the store and be angry at me, lol. i wish she wouldn't smoke, but i actually have little to do with it and no control over it.
  • Did India have tobacco in Buddha's time?
    Unknown outside the 'new world' (what we now know as North, Central, and South America and the Caribbean) before 1492...