Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If you thought monks/nuns have a stringent rules and precepts now, then check this out

Comments

• "52. Tickling with the fingers is to be confessed."

Good to know they were being very thorough.
  • cazcaz Veteran United Kingdom Veteran
    Vinaya needs updating :)
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    cool find tom, that was interesting to read.
  • BhanteLuckyBhanteLucky Alternative lifestyle person in the South Island of New Zealand New Zealand Veteran
    The Theravadan Forest Tradition still follows every rule, it's not too hard actually. They confess the rules they have broken every week or so, and usually not too many rules have been broken by each monk.
    Following the 227 rules is seen as an integral and vital part of the practise. Following the rules encourages mindfulness in every aspect of one's life.
    But I can't imagine doing it out in the worldly world. It's useful and practical for secluded life in a monastery or temple, but not really for a monk who is out in the world doing active things.
    Interestingly, before a monk is released from dependence from his teacher, (5 years after first ordaining) in this tradition he has to memorize and chant by heart that entire thing, all the rules.

The Forest Traditon of Ajahn Chah or Ajahn Mun is the tradition I intend to ordain in next year, so I think I'm going to have a very intimate relationship with a lot of those rules.
  • THANKS TT