Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What rough beast...?

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
  • edited February 2006
    Hello all,
    Yep, during HH's trip to Melbourne the Lord Mayor refused to meet with the Dalai Lama (the Lord Mayor is Chinese) and alot of Chinese were pissed because he came here to talk.
    Politics makes me wanna:bawling: :banghead: :rant: :bs: :zombie:
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited February 2006
    The Palestinians maintain that their land is being occupied illegally by a stronger nation which lays historical claim to the territory.

The Tibetans maintain that their land is being occupied illegally by a stronger nation which lays historical claim to the territory.

And the Palestinian leadership won't meet the Tibetan leader because the power occupying Tibet might be upset!

So much for the solidarity of the oppressed.
  • edited February 2006
    Yep...politics also make me want to cry and scream! That's awful.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    The Palestinians maintain that their land is being occupied illegally by a stronger nation which lays historical claim to the territory.

The Tibetans maintain that their land is being occupied illegally by a stronger nation which lays historical claim to the territory.

And the Palestinian leadership won't meet the Tibetan leader because the power occupying Tibet might be upset!

So much for the solidarity of the oppressed.

Hopefully, the Irish would take him in...

-bf
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Good point, BF. I'm hoping the Irish would know a good thing when they see it.

I am so angry right now. I just want to scream. How utterly stupid! What brutal ignorance.
    I can understand why China is so afraid of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. But to blatantly lie about his "separatist ambitions for Tibet," (Majdi Al Khaldi said) is SO frustrating. I know the exercise here is to find compassion in my heart for the Palestinian and Chinese authorities, but it's so hard! O.K. I have to find a way. I'm going to think about this and try to find a way.

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Good point, BF. I'm hoping the Irish would know a good thing when they see it.

I am so angry right now. I just want to scream. How utterly stupid! What brutal ignorance.
    I can understand why China is so afraid of His Holiness the Dalai Lama. But to blatantly lie about his "separatist ambitions for Tibet," (Majdi Al Khaldi said) is SO frustrating. I know the exercise here is to find compassion in my heart for the Palestinian and Chinese authorities, but it's so hard! O.K. I have to find a way. I'm going to think about this and try to find a way.

Brigid
    "I exhort you, monks: All fabrications are subject to decay. Bring about completion, by being heedful."

Last words of the Buddha.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Thanks, Kow. That does help a lot.
    I wanted to take it further into my heart and, of course, the Dalai Lama himself was the one to go to. In his book "How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life" he describes a daily practice that helps him greatly:

"Sometimes when I am sick, I practice taking others' suffering to myself and giving them my potential for happiness; this provides a good deal of mental relief.

Everyday in the early morning and especially when I have the time, I do this practice in a general way with regard to all living beings. But in particular I single out Chinese leaders and those officials who must make decisions on the spot to torture or kill particular Tibetans. I visualize them, and draw their ignorance, prejudice, hatred and pride into myself. I feel that, because of my own training, even if in reality I could absorb some portion of their negative attitudes, it could not influence my behavior and turn me into a negative person. Therefore, ingesting their negativities is not that much of a problem for me, but it lessens their problems. I do this with such strong feeling that if later in the day in my office I hear of their atrocities, although one part of my mind is a little irritated and angry, the main part is still under the influence of the morning practice; the intensity of the hatred is reduced to the point where it is groundless.

Whether this meditation really helps those officials or not, it gives me peace of mind. Then I can be more effective; the benefit is immense."

I think this is a Tonglen practice but what it's called is irrelevant. It's very powerful and just reading it made all my anger disappear in a puff of smoke. Hearing it from him makes it all the more transformative for me. I had light bulbs going on all over the place! LOL

Hope this helps.

Love,
    Brigid