Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

2 questions on meditation

ThailandTomThailandTom Veteran
edited October 2011 in Meditation
Firstly, what do you tend to do or what tends to happen post meditation. I am aware through practice and it being obvious that not every sitting is the same, but I am curious to know what happens when you finally open your eyes, mentally and physically?

Secondly, I seem to get the worse pins and needles in my legs in the loyus position after only about 10 minutes, and if I still sit merely cross legged then it eventually happens also. It happens to the point it becomes a distraction I cannot ignore and after a sitting I have to wait a minute before I can walk properly :-/

Comments

• Post-meditation everything seems more clear for a little while, while the mind is getting back into "normal" mode.

As for your sitting, do it any way that's comfortable that doesn't cause too many problems. Don't attach to what other people do, if it doesn't work for you.
  • 'normal mode' which I label 'auto-pilot' lol. Yea, I sometimes open my eyes and become astonished at how bright the room was, but also that my mind is cleaer at you put, the pace of my thinking has slowed but soon the thoughts of future and past soon come rushing back. I often lay down after meditation and close my eyes again, contemplate or sleep :p
  • There is no difference. Post or pre. Meditation is always.
  • auraaura Veteran
    Sitting is sitting.
    Meditation is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
  • I have not gotten into a good routine yet but so far I jump back into autopilot too quickly. I need to learn to stay mindful throughout the day. As far as posture goes I had to switch to kneeling with a zafu. I really wanted to use full lotus but it wasn't working for me at all. It was always some combination of either unstable, painful or my legs fell asleep.
  • Bad meditation is when you try to open your eyes and they're very heavy. That means you didn't let go of craving, and you didn't get into Jhana. Good meditation is when you open your eyes and it doesn't even feel like you have eye lids. That means you got into Jhana.
    If you can't sit cross legged on the ground, just sit in a chair. It works the same as long as you keep your back straight.
  • After a formal "sitting," I usually try to wiggle my fingers and toes before opening my eyes, then bend forward and bow to the ground (because my lower back is usually pretty stressed after long sits). I feel slightly elated and very relaxed and usually carry that along for a few hours.

Follow advice about meditating in a comfortable position for you. We are all different.
  • Thanks people, the one problem I seem to have if you can label it a problem that is, is meditation. I have been practicing gone 3 years now and still seem to not quite get it, I understand the concept but my mind is at such a fast pace and easily distracted, more so since having a seizure.
    However, I do attemot daily, sometimes twice a day now, to be honest with myself I have not put the time or effort in for the long whole, so this is probably why I do not seem to get it.

What confuses me is the difference in opinion on meditation, even one type of meditation. Some say we should just sit and let thoughts/feelings come and go, some day we should learn to focus strictly on breathing, others say that we can focus on anything if it is one single thing, then people suggest that emptiness and dependent origination become clear through meditation and then ajahn brahm says, 'just let everything go'...... :wtf: Which is in complete contrast to what his teacher ajahn chah said about meditation. Brahm said this himself, he changed his own view on it and used the anaology of a wild bull.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited October 2011

What confuses me is the difference in opinion on meditation, even one type of meditation. Some say we should just sit and let thoughts/feelings come and go, some day we should learn to focus strictly on breathing, others say that we can focus on anything if it is one single thing, then people suggest that emptiness and dependent origination become clear through meditation and then ajahn brahm says, 'just let everything go'...... :wtf: Which is in complete contrast to what his teacher ajahn chah said about meditation. Brahm said this himself, he changed his own view on it and used the anaology of a wild bull.
    They all mean the same things. They are not different views. They are just different words to describe it. You should just focus on your breathing, that is the Buddha's way and ignore whatever you think it's supposed to be like and just breath. :)

>Firstly, what do you tend to do or what tends to happen post meditation.

Nothing in particular.

• I went from not being able to sit for 1 minute, to being able to sit for 1 day and longer, and all within a couple years. For me, that numbness went away and never came back. Just keep at it and endure it. I am sure it goes away for everybody who will try sitting for as long as they can.
  • What you need to do is keep looking for a good teacher. When you find some one who helps you feel more at ease and more peaceful, and especially one who "helps everything come together," so to speak.
  • Try the book "Mindfulness in plain English" It's a very good book indeed
  • After meditation, things are usually quite calm for me.

I sit seiza with a zafu, but i still end up getting pins and needles after about 15 - 20 minutes. This gets really distracting because I'm trying to up my time to 30 minutes. I'm thinking of getting of just getting a seiza bench.
  • Others might disagree but I wouldn't focus too much on formal mediation.

I do it when I can, can't even cross legs or sit normally for long periods so I just lay down....true meditation can be done anywhere in any way.

I'm very bad with routines, so for me it's easier to tell myself to meditate whenever I can. Maybe it's standing in line waiting for something. Using different objects of meditation be it the breath, the feeling of my feet on the floor, my whole body, the sounds....

The point is simply to experience what is without mentally labeling it. My "pure concentration" powers in one single object aren't awesome....but I can definitely enter this state of no-mind almost whenever I "want" in real life. I think that's because I haven't tied myself down to the strictness of a formal practice. I prefer to incorporate it in simple things, like talking with people, eating food...whatever...

I can definitely feel a lot of prana building up over time. I have semi-regular longer sessions where I can definitely start to see myself in the world around me...and I really just want to say that it had nothing to do with formal meditation. I even spend days without meditating at all. Also I had never had a teacher, although listening to talks by Alan Watts and others helped. Talks heard without a keen focus on interpretation can be great too.
  • Tom regarding the pins and needles its possible to learn to adjust the posture of the legs with slight movements. The pins and needles happen because the nerves get squeezed. Thus the adjustment of position can let the nerve settle better.

I always got pins and needles when I started, but not so much anymore.

You can also just let your legs go numb eventually. Then you have some major pins/needles, but at least the meditation is steady.
  • Thanks people. I have not actually meditated in around two weeks because I am still a bit disfunctional due to my attempt at stopping valium. I have thought about it (I mean a formal sitting), but have not persued it much beyond that.

As you said Epicrus, I also sometimes use to meditat in everyday situatons. When I was on the back of my friends bike sat at a railroad crossing along with about 50 or so other bikes, I simply sat and meditated. My friend was getting so stressful and I said to him, 'where do we have to be in such a hurry?' We did not have anywhere to be as a matter of fact, so going for a night up into the mountains, so I guess it sank in a bit for him :p

Next time I actually get around to a formal sitting I will try and reposition my legs Jeffrey, I think I have let them go really numb before, it is still a distraction and when I come to try and stand up afterwards, it is quite a sight to see I am sure :D

@shanekarma, I have heard that book title before, I guess I have no choice but to look into it now! Thanks for the heads up though.
  • ThailandTom I've recently begun learning Tai Chi, and a form of karate which practices meditation and movement. I've found such physical practices immensely helpful. I know Tai Chi is Daoist rather than Buddhist, but my teacher is a Buddhist and it is very compatible.
  • @ThailandTom

I think you are trying too hard. Just as we cannot fall asleep if we try too hard to sleep, meditation too is elusive if we try it too hard.
    My humble suggestion: Sit comfortably in the chair and do not exceed 15 minutes limit per session, till meditation becomes a pleasurable activity.
  • possibilitiespossibilities PNW, WA State Veteran
  • Thanks for the feedback everyone :)

@ada_B I guess tai chi could not hurt to take a look into. There are many things in life that can help or compliment our existence that are not strictly buddhist. Google here I come :p

@ddrishi Yea I guess I am trying a little too hard. I have said it many many times on this site, but one specific phrase Ajahn Chah said on an interview has stuck with me. He stated that if we strive for nirvana or anything for that matter, we will only end up with suffering.

@possibilities kudos to you, life saver :D Now I do not need to scroll the net or hop down to a book shop! Lazy arssed that I am, cheers :thumbsup:
  • Others might disagree but I wouldn't focus too much on formal mediation.
    The power of steady focus and steady posture is undeniable for those whom do it IMO.
  • Firstly, what do you tend to do or what tends to happen post meditation. I am aware through practice and it being obvious that not every sitting is the same, but I am curious to know what happens when you finally open your eyes, mentally and physically?
    I think it is not useful to try to analyse and capture each meditation. Just doing it with constancy and clarity (even amidst unclarity) is enough in my experience. It's like Spring, yesterday were winter shades, today the flowers blossom - how did it happen? Just enjoy the seeds.
    ?

Secondly, I seem to get the worse pins and needles in my legs in the loyus position after only about 10 minutes, and if I still sit merely cross legged then it eventually happens also. It happens to the point it becomes a distraction I cannot ignore and after a sitting I have to wait a minute before I can walk properly :-/
    Other positions are documented here: http://www.mro.org/zmm/teachings/meditation.php

But if you can sit lotus already, that's great and maybe you can supplement/pre-empt sessions with yoga stretches/practice.

• Tom I just had pins and needles last meditation. What I do is sit until that point and then switch legs and if need be just let both legs go numb. I think it matters the posture if the nerves are pressed. How the whole posture is affects where the pressure is occuring: back, hips, and so forth. I'll have to experiment.
  • Oh and when there are pins and needles, when getting up do so slowly. The pins and needles are not a problem (unless you have a whole team waiting for you to do kinhin :-D) Gently position your foot on the floor and shake etc until normal sensation returns. I have never found pins and needles a problem per se, particularly if there is no rush in getting up again. To me, it just means that I have sat a bit incorrectly and therefore have squashed my feet into a state where pins and needles appear. As Jeffrey says, learning what posture is optimal for the body is a good investment IMO.