Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Trungpa on Buddhism

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited October 2011 in Arts & Writings
Trungpa on Buddhism

"Buddhism promises nothing. It teaches us to be what we are where we are, constantly, and it teaches us to relate to our living situations accordingly…

"I'm sorry not to be presenting any glamorous and beautiful promises. Wisdom happens to be a domestic affair. Buddha saw the world as it is and that was his enlightenment. Buddha means 'awake,' being awake, completely awak...e -- that seems to be his message to us…

"He offered a path to being awake, a path with eight points, and he called it 'the eightfold path.'

"We must first understand what the Buddha meant by 'right.' (As in "right intention," "right view…")

"'Right' translates the Sanskrit 'samyak,' which means 'complete.' Completeness needs no relative help, no support through comparison, it is self-sufficient… Life without crutches…"

"The Myth of Freedom, Meditation in Action: The Eightfold Path."

Volume Three "The Collected Works of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche"

Comments

• the man spoke like a lion.

wisdom is very straightforward.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    edited October 2011
    wonderful. to me especially to learn translations.

little confused about that one though. right = samyak = complete... ??
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    The word "Right" in Pali, has over 40 meanings, depending, I would presume, on context.....

http://www.dictionary.tamilcube.com/pali-dictionary.aspx?term=right
  • zenffzenff Veteran
    edited October 2011
    The word in Pali is samma:
    It means something like "proper" or "correct".

Trungpa's text-analasis of the eightfold path is not a very good argument, I think.

But I think he has a point in cutting through spiritual materialism ("Buddhism promises nothing").
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited October 2011
    @zenff, a friend of mine relayed to me that he read that one of steve jobs most inspiring books he read was "Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism", by Trungpa.