Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Sitting without a sitter!

DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
edited October 2011 in Meditation
When I was on my first ever meditation retreat — two weeks of intensive meditation in the Scottish Highlands — I’d sometimes hear the instruction, “And now we’ll just sit.” No further instruction was given! And we’d sit there for a period of time — maybe ten minutes, maybe thirty minutes.

It was at first deeply confusing. I was sitting there waiting for further instruction. I wanted to be told what to do. Then I’d get bored and restless. Thoughts would come and go and I’d get caught up in them.

As the retreat went on sometimes those thoughts would begin to clear, and the mind would become alive and yet alive and vibrant. I wasn’t focused on any one part of my experience. It was as if my senses were wide open, and I was aware of everything at once: sounds, light, space, the sensations arising in the body, my emotions, and the odd stray through that would pass through.

There was a “field of experience,” and if there was a center to this field, it was the breathing, but it was there as a lightly held focus. It was there as one experience among many, and just happened to occupy the center by reason of its centrality in the body. But often it would seem as if there was no distinct center to the field of experience. There simply was a field of experiences, which would arise and pass away. There’s no “activity” going on when this state arises (although there may be activity leading up to this state appearing).

http://www.wildmind.org/blogs/on-practice/sitting-without-a-sitter#more-14994

Comments

• Just to make mention: I've read Bodhipaksa's book Living As A River which was quite a good read. Here's a cool interview with Bodhipaksa: http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2010/10/bg-191-living-as-a-river/

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Just to make mention: I've read Bodhipaksa's book Living As A River which was quite a good read. Here's a cool interview with Bodhipaksa: http://www.buddhistgeeks.com/2010/10/bg-191-living-as-a-river/

Thank You!
  • Sounds like you had an awesome experience... I'm looking forward to attending a retreat, hopefully soon.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Sounds like you had an awesome experience... I'm looking forward to attending a retreat, hopefully soon.
    That sounds wonderful!
  • Everytime I have planned on a self retreat, it has happened to be during the monsoon season, and not having a cave close by, I would surely become ill or worse. However, even spending a day by yourself in a room can have similar effects.
    Being a British National myself, was it not cold up in the highlands? Or was it summer time? Even then, to a lot of people especially here that would be considered cold!
  • I read "sitting without a sitter" and I immediately thought of my two year old using me as a jungle gym as I meditate. Haha! (I meditate after my sons bedtime :) )