Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Cognitive Psychology + Buddhism

ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
edited March 2006 in Buddhism Basics
Buddhism has totally no conflict with Science and totally is in agreement with it.

When the mind speaks the body listens.

Though I had a bad encounter on the second day, my recent motivational course has brought me to believe even more firmly that Buddhism is Science.

Hoho, long live the Dharma...

Comments

• edited February 2006
    Can't argue with that Ajani.
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Me too!!
    They each have a lot to learn from each other. When I die I want to become a Buddhist scientist!
    I'm soooo glad you've found peace, Ajani my sweet. I wish it for you always.

Hi, Knitty! I'm happy you're here.

Brigid
  • edited February 2006
    I did a paper on cognitive psychology and Buddhism for one of my classes. I used David Bohm's work on "thought as a system" as a kind of interface between the two different (though compatible) approaches to human wellness.

There's another branch of psychology now that is perhaps even more compatible with Buddhism. It's called Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, and uses mindfulness as one of its main therapeutic tools.

Best wishes,

B.
  • edited February 2006
    great book called
    " the quantum and the lotus"

deep read / interesting compassionate chat
    between a scientist that use to be a buddhist monk
    and a buddhist monk that use to be a scientist..
    great read folks!
  • edited February 2006
    'Zen and the Brain' is on my desk right now. A ponderous, technical read...and way over my head.
  • edited February 2006
    yes its ova my head to ...... yet i like to have some tough reads beside my
    bed and some easy reads.. keeps me balanced.
    : )
  • ajani_mgoajani_mgo Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I have a little question here... Meditation produces a alpha-theta brainwave pattern in the mind... However, doesn't it not mean that too much meditation will lead to undesirable behaviours like escapism and stuff like that?
  • edited March 2006
    Brigid wrote:
    Me too!!
    They each have a lot to learn from each other. When I die I want to become a Buddhist scientist!
    I'm soooo glad you've found peace, Ajani my sweet. I wish it for you always.

Hi, Knitty! I'm happy you're here.

Brigid

Cooee Breeee! I'm over here with my cup of tea!:wavey: :wavey: :wavey:
  • edited March 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:
    I have a little question here... Meditation produces a alpha-theta brainwave pattern in the mind... However, doesn't it not mean that too much meditation will lead to undesirable behaviours like escapism and stuff like that?

Think you might be right there AM - think ZMG put something about that in one of his posts on the having trouble meditating thread.

On the subject of psychology ....... has struck me that in psychology we try to understand why people do or think or feel things .... this to my wee mind is very like the process of trying to put oneself in the shoes of an "enemy" because to understand is to take a big step towards forgiving and loving.
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2006
    ajani_mgo wrote:

The Buddha was well aware of this risk, Ajani. Time and again, we find warnings against both the 'nihilism' or 'quietism' that you describe, as well as against 'eternalism'.
  • edited March 2006
    can you explain that alil simon?
    this sounds interesting..
    thanx
  • SimonthepilgrimSimonthepilgrim Veteran
    edited March 2006

The Buddha was well aware of this risk, Ajani. Time and again, we find warnings against both the 'nihilism' or 'quietism' that you describe, as well as against 'eternalism'.

Venerable K. Sri Dhammananda Maha Thera writes:
    To develop Right View or Perfect View, we must first be aware of two views which are considered imperfect or wrong.

The first view is eternalism. This doctrine or belief is concerned with eternal life or with eternal things. Before the Buddha's time, it was taught that there is an abiding entity which could exist forever, and that man can live the eternal life by preserving the eternal soul in order to be in union with Supreme Being. In Buddhism, this teaching is called sassata ditthi ----the view of eternalists. Such views still exist even in the modern world owing to man's craving for eternity.
    and
    The second false view is nihilism or the view held by the nihilists who claim that there is no life after death. This view belongs to a materialistic philosophy which refuses to accept knowledge of mental conditionality................The teaching of kamma is enough to prove that the Buddha did not teach annihilation after death; Buddhism accepts 'survival' not in the sense of an eternal soul, but in the sense of a renewed becoming.

http://www.saigon.com/~anson/ebud/whatbudbeliev/111.htm

Post-Nietzschean modern thought has, of course, added even more dimension to the concept of nihilism and it is my personal quest to walk the narrow path between these two extremes which both lead directly to suffering and stress.