Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Wise Crack

HanzzeHanzze Veteran
edited October 2011 in Arts & Writings
Often we are angry and do not really know why and as our anger needs also an enemy we keep on searching for it. Sometimes we have the solution in our hand, but rather than to enjoy the fruit, the use it as a weapon. *smile*

Somewhere far in the South Seas, as dawn was breaking, a little monkey climbed to the top of a palm tree and, swinging a very heavy coconut in his hand, began to shout just as loud as loud could be. A camel, hearing the noise, came a little closer, looked up into the tree, and asked, “What’s the matter?”
“I’m waiting for the queen of elephants. I’m going to crack this coconut over her head so she won’t be able to see or to think.” The camel thought, “But what’s really the matter?”
At midday, a lion came by, heard the noise the little monkey was making, looked up at him, and asked, “Is there something you need?” “Yes,” yelled the little monkey, “I need the queen of the elephants. I’m going to crack her on the head with this coconut and split her skull right open.” The lion thought, “But what does he really need?”
In the afternoon, a rhinoceros came by and became curious about the little monkey, and looked up and asked, “So what’s your problem?”
“I’m waiting for the queen of elephants. I’m going to crack her on the head with this coconut until she can’ see or hear.” The rhino thought, “He realy does have a problem.”
In the evening, the queen of the elephants herself came. She scratched her back on the palm. She reached up into the branches to pick a few leaver with her trunk. Above her, it was just as still as still could be. When she looked up and saw the little monkey, she asked: “Do you need anything?”
The monkey replied, “No, nothing at all. It’s true, I was yelling a little bit earlier today, but surely you didn’t take that seriously, did you?” And the queen of elephants thought, “He really does need something.” Then she saw her herd in the distance and stomped off.
The little monkey thought quietly. After a while, he climbed down with the coconut and cracked it on a rock until if broke open. Then he drank the coconut milk and ate the coconut meat.

a story from Hellinger

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    *smile*
  • You are a fast reader. *smile* If we can keep good-will permanent present in our mind, we can make nothing but process. Wish you continue in this way.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Often we are angry - and we really DO know why.
    The skill then is to keep our anger in check, manifest self-control, and rise above the irritations that present themselves, and eventually, learn to ignore them.

• "Them/They" would be not the reason for anger *smile* but yes, that is the usual way.
    I guess it was a Zen teacher who this quote:
    "More worse that ignorance is to ignore the ignorance."

The reason why the monkey changed his way, is because he saw that there was actually no reason for his anger. *plopp* and he enjoyed the fruit of his attainment.
    *smile*