Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

depression from the buddhist perspective

edited March 2006 in Buddhism Basics
hello everyone,

I started a blog about depression from the Buddhist perspective and just wanted to let everyone know here about it, I figured it would be nice if there were a site dedicated to the subject. I tried putting up everything I could find on the internet but if theres anything I missed that you might have come across I would be more then happy to put it up. Also if anyone is interested in writing something for the site concerning depression and Buddhism or maybe just depression in general it would be really helpful, im trying to make it a place where people can talk about there experiences and hopefully inspire people to help themselves or maybe even others.

- ts

hello@domanassa.org

http://domanassa.org/blog/

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Hello Domanassa. Welcome to our site.

Thanks for the link, your site seems very genuine and interesting. :)
  • edited February 2006
    thanks brian : )

- ts
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited February 2006
    Very interesting site, Domanassa...

Thanks for sharing... I'm gonna go read some!

-bf
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited February 2006
    Would you mind putting a link to our site?
  • edited February 2006
    Great site...thanks for sharing. I can't wait to read more!
  • edited February 2006
    just added the link and thanks for all the wonderful feedback : )

-ts
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited February 2006
    I do hope you will continue contributing to this forum by engaging and exchanging your views... it seems to me that you have a firm grip and a good 'handle' (pardon the mixed metaphors!) on Depression.... and that you are aware and conscious yourself on how Buddhism and what it teaches may be of immeasurable importance and value to those connected, in any way with Depression...both from the viewpoint of the 'sufferer', and the Therapist...
    thanks for the Link to your' blog' and for mentioning us.... :)
  • edited February 2006
    thank you so much for the feedback federica, having struggled with depression for several years myself i can definitely empathize with those who are suffering and im afraid often times drowning in the ocean that is depression. i will definitely be contributing to the forum, it seems as though the people here are very open and willing to help other human beings and is a place i can see myself coming quite often.

with metta always,

- ts
  • edited March 2006
    hi again

I just put up the following post on the blog but im also going to put it up here in case anyone is interested in discussing it.

with metta,

ts

to the last breath

If depression wasnt a horribly debilitating state to be in, would it just be considered dukkha (dissatisfaction), the general malaise that seems to be the fault of human existence. Depression has always been something that has intrigued as much as tormented me for most of my adult life. It’s something I’ve been struggling with for years, the constant in a world of impermanence. I was always told that life was beautiful, poppycock, as far as I was concerned life was a drag, a chore at best. I couldnt even make eye contact with people, I was afraid the second they looked into my eyes they would know I was on the verge of crying and I would see them looking at me, looking at them, looking at me. I needed an escape.

For me it was a wash of late night tv, music and junk food and before I realized it the sun had risen and another day of torment waited before me. Wherever I went, I always had my headphones on, a faltered attempt at blocking out the rest of the world, while delving deeper into my own, the numbing escape that was my life. I wasnt interested in a beautiful sunset, the wind blowing across my face, it had gotten to the point where my depression had become a welcomed guest, a good friend and besides everything was ruined anyway right?

Like so many others I lost myself in tv, closing the door and locking myself in my room for days at a time, a remote in one hand, a bag of chips in the other. Hiding under my blankets, the blur of infomercials blaring in the background at 3am, it was a ephemeral existence at best. I think in someways I was trying to crawl back into the womb, a place that was safe, warm and completely void of light and where I didnt have to deal with the world and all of its problems. A place that I could exist and simply be or in my case, not. The more I indulged the worse I felt and the worse I felt the more I did, the middle path it wasnt. The things that were supposed to make me happy were the very things that were ruining me, because everything I knew and relied on, were in essence, breaking, I was completely and utterly lost.

And here’s where Buddhism enters the fray, here comes along a religion, a philosophy, a way of life (or whatever) and tells me in no uncertain terms that life is suffering, I was just glad someone finally came clean. It’s funny I never understood the first noble truth in a defeatist or nihilistic fashion, just being so, something to be understood and in the same breath let go of. But it had gotten to the point where I could no longer function as a human being, it had gotten to the point where the mundaneness of breathing became unbearable, it was time I saw somebody.

For all the stigma there is about seeing a psychiatrist, it was probably one of the best things I ever did. Low and behold I was diagnosed with major depression and I didnt disagree, welcoming the diagnosis, finally a name to the face. Personally speaking, the use of antidepressants helped me a great deal and were able to get me to a place where I was “good”, but with anything in life I had to meet it halfway, it wasnt a quick fix, and in fact took years of effort to get to a place where I was comfortable, simply being. I’ve heard people say “that you have to live for the moment”, but I finally came to the realization that it wasn’t about living for the moment as much as it was living in it.

- ts

hello@domanassa.org
  • edited March 2006
    Your blog, domanassa, seems to be a real gift.

I have battled depression myself, and every spiritual path seemed to tell me that it was because I refused to see the beauty of the God-given world. What I like about Buddhism is that it basically says "Nope! It's not just you! Life can really, really bite!"

Atzigara
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    ...hello Atzigara... nice to see you again....:)