Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Protesters Set Their Sights on Wal-Mart

wonderingwondering Veteran
edited October 2011 in Buddhism Today
A member of Occupy Seattle is coordinating a statewide protest against Wal-Mart slated for Black Friday, the busiest shopping day of the year.

Wal-Mart’s sins are many, says organizer Neal Bernstein, who is recovering from a case of the flu he developed while demonstrating at Seattle’s Westlake Center and City Hall over the last few weeks. The company, which has more than 2 million employees and counts profits in the double-digit billions year after year, is notorious for paying low wages, skimping on benefits, demanding long shifts and forcing local stores out of business.

A 2004 report found that Wal-Mart sucks $1.5 billion from American taxpayers’ pockets annually to cover the cost of its workers’ needs for health care, food stamps and housing. Earlier this year, it escaped a class-action lawsuit raised by 1.5 million of its female workers who alleged they were the victims of sexual discrimination.

“I think they’re a really good example of everything that’s wrong with corporate America,” Bernstein told me over the telephone.

Bernstein plans to spend the next month as a liaison between female, minority, student and worker advocacy groups and willing protesters, and wants to see the Black Friday demonstrations formed and led by people from within affected communities. His approach to protest organization mirrors that found everywhere in the occupy movement: non-centralized, grass-roots and community based.

See the Facebook page for Bernstein’s event here ( have to go to the web page )and check out a critical feature-length documentary called “Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price,” below. —Alexander Reed Kelly

located at.....http://www.truthdig.com/eartotheground/item/protesters_set_their_sights_on_wal-mart_20111026/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Truthdig/EarToTheGround+Truthdig+|+Ear+to+the+Ground

Comments

• Wal-Mart also uses business practices that are illegal in the US to bring similar stores in other countries to their knees, and then they buy them up. Wal-Mart comes into a country, builds a store, prices everything lower than the competition, then when the competition is forced to close, Wal-Mart buys them up. Then once they've taken over the market, they raise prices.

What this does is take local profits that get recycled into the local economy, and sucks them out of the country into the US. So developing countries just get poorer, by these practices, instead of building up their own, locally-owned businesses, and prospering. I know someone who worked as a manager in one of a small chain of stores in central America, whose business this happened to. They did it in Mexico first, then they tried it in Brazil, but Brazil had studied what happened in Mexico, streamlined their business practices, and was able to rebuff Wal-Mart.

If the WTO were to do something useful to developing countries, they'd make this practice illegal, like it is in the US.
  • YEAH!! Boycott Wal-Mart! Protest the Wal-Martization of America!
  • BarraBarra soto zennie wandering in a cloud in beautiful, bucolic Victoria BC, on the wacky left coast of Canada Veteran
    Good idea. I'm glad to hear from an "occupy" participant who has a clear target and an approach for protesting.
    In Canada we have "copy cat" occupy groups who have not been able to articulate any concern - out of a misguided concern about inclusivity and wishing not to speak for others. So they don't have any message at all. They are disintegrating in to encampments of incivility, drug taking and violence and have become refuges for the disenfranchised and homeless.
  • DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you for sharing!
  • I am not proud to say I shop at WalMart, and I disagree with their business practices - even more so having read the above.

Still, we are talking about people's wallets, and people will always go for inexpensive over pricey (American made) products if they cannot afford them. I also go to Wawa and similar for my gas, because why pay 20c more a gallon with BP or Exxon? I need to eat. WalMart knows this, and they exploit it. Their employees are also their customer base.

The problem the US has is multi-faceted; we are either too proud or too lazy to do menial jobs. To wit the tomatoes in Alabama rotted on the vines because the immigrants left town due to new immigration laws. Growers said Americans who showed up to do the work did not last a day before quitting.

Plus, Americans expect more money for the labor that we do in comparison to other countries. Why? Because we have a status quo to maintain. Consumerism at its finest. Asian countries work more, get paid less, live relatively well in some of the larger cities, and seem fairly happy.

Americans just want want want, and little is done to help those who NEED. Instead we cut the programs that help them, rather than increase the taxes for the wealthy. It's very very broken.

Then there is immigration, we pretty much let anybody come and stay anymore, even though in some cases they are taking food out of our mouths. We pay for the social services that some Americans cannot even get. I doubt that I would get the same benefits afforded to me was I an illegal in another country.

I tried getting Medicaid once a long time ago, and was turned down,even though I was in desperate need. Took them 9 mos to make a decision, when others were getting benefits right away. During that 9 mos I found a job that had benefits, and laughed when I got their rejection.

Used to be that if someone wanted to emigrate here they were sponsored, someone vouched for them. In turn they built this country. That's what we should go back to. I am not against immigration, just the way its being done now.

It's not just WalMart, its all of those who have no idea what a work ethic is, much less pride in their work. Everyone has a niche, it does not have to be as CEO, there is no shame in that.

Society has taught us to believe that we should all be rich, have a house, X amount of kids...this American Dream. If you do not achieve what some to be considered success then we are left feeling like failures. It all folds in on itself at some point.

There is much blame to be taken all around,if Occupy can tap into it the right way, they will succeed.

• Nice post Hubris. I just hope more people will vote in 2012. In america but it applies elsewhere. More people need to be heard. The dollar speaks too loud (sometimes).
  • Thank you @Jeffrey, the dollar speaks very loudly, that is my point. We put it pretty much above all else, and those who have the most of it are the worst.

Poorer people are the first ones to gather donations when there is a catastrophe in another country. Clothing, canned goods, and so on. They pretty much shame everyone else into giving something, even the government. That's because they know what its like to need.

Absolutely, vote.
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited November 2011
    on a side note, that is a fantastic documentary and i hope others will take the time to watch it. it really opened my eyes to the horrible business practices that the corporation employs. a little bit of research into dead peasants insurance policies might be of interest as well. (dead peasants refers to the insurance policies that walmart and other corporations take out on their elderly and sick employees, naming themselves as the benefactors.)
  • Dead peasants? How is this legal?! It sounds like nothing more than insurance fraud. No wonder premiums are so high. There needs to be an expose'! In all seriousness, I am going to read up on this.
  • If you find a good source post it so people can post on Face Book and so forth.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
  • I dunno, I liked this, and will be looking into the woman whom they are quoting.

http://digitaljournal.com/article/251589

It's a few years old though.
  • edited November 2011
    @Hubris I'd just like to point out that migrant farm work used to be done by US citizens. They were replaced by illegal immigrants, who were cheaper and easier to intimidate and exploit with inhumane housing, etc.

US citizens expect to be paid more because the cost of living here is higher than in developing countries, that's why this is called a First World country, and others aren't. It's the same in Europe; Europeans, especially Germanic countries and England, have higher wages because people are more skilled and the cost and standard of living are higher.

However, I do agree with you that Americans take a lot for granted, and have "needs" that are considered luxuries, even in Europe (washer/dryer in every home, car/s, home ownership). On the other hand, let's not forget that high wages for factory workers, especially in the auto industry, is what is responsible to a significant degree in creating the American middle class, lifting many out of poverty. Unions had a strong hand in that. Reagan was a union-buster. That's when things started going downhill.

If you want to get paid less, and live with less, don't worry. That day will be here sooner than you think. The US is sinking as fast as the Republicans would send us into Third World status. The popularity of Wal-Mart is a harbinger of that, as is the loss of med insurance benefits at jobs, using people as free-lance workers (independent contractors) rather than having them on salary (in Latin America they call it the "informal economy"), and other tell-tale signs.
  • We are a proud nation, too proud to do menial labor anymore. Gone are the days of the work ethic that built this nation. Working in concert with immigrants rather than exploiting them.

Unions have their benefits, but they also have their cons too...such as raising the cost of doing business. They do not have the best interests of the worker at heart anymore,they take their money for crappy benefits, and are not all that successful with bargaining anymore because big business has much greater ability to take or leave employees. They are political vehicles nowadays.

We are already paid less, and living with less...and we have automated ourselves out of livelihood in the interest of greater consumerism. For what? A better quality of life? The math just does not work.
  • Don't worry, the Democrats are in charge now... You don't have to worry about the evil Republicans anymore
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    @Hubris this dead peasants list is fun

i could have sworn that i had first heard about it through the documentary linked in here, but it may have actually been through Capitalism, A Love Story... or maybe even The Corporation. i guess i watch too many social commentary documentaries.
  • Lol Telly. Actually the Republicans have the senate I think.
  • Thanks @Jeffrey. Not sure what that comment even had to do with what I was saying.
  • edited November 2011
    @Telly03 And we can't take for granted the Dems will stay in charge. There's a presidential election coming up, It could get messy, especially since the voting irregularities that favored the Republicans during the last election still haven't been addressed. Obama lost 7 million votes due to those irregularities, so if the race is much closer this time, he could lose in spite of having more voters in his favor.

@Hubris I agree the unions became overconfident with their power at one point, and used it in ways that weren't in everyone's interest, but they were absolutely crucial in the days after the Depression and through the mid-century, for getting good wages and benefits for workers.
  • edited November 2011
    @Hubris I agree the unions became overconfident with their power at one point, and used it in ways that weren't in everyone's interest, but they were absolutely crucial in the days after the Depression and through the mid-century, for getting good wages and benefits for workers.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No dissent here on what the unions accomplished in the distant past, however their relevancy now is in question.
  • shanyinshanyin Novice Yogin Sault Ontario Veteran
    @compassionate_warrior

They destroyed Zellers in my town and has bought them out, it will be converting to the second Walmart in my town of 80 000 people.

I did have to stop and ask myself if the prices would stay the same.
  • DakiniDakini Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Walmart employees are the store's main customer base because they get paid too poorly to shop anywhere else. Wal-Mart has a very poor benefit system, too, and often cuts employees' hourse, so they never know from one week to the next if they'll be working part-time or not. oFten they end up working 32 hours if the store needs to cut back on expenses. Those who need a steady paycheck quit. Those who stay may end up getting state or federal benefits of one sort or another to supplement their poor pay or weak medical coverage. Articles have been written about how WamMart saves money by relying on public funds available to their employees for economic aid. WalMart also gets HUGE property tax breaks and other benefits for locating in a given area, even when it's the second store in a town.
  • Walmart employees are the store's main customer base because they get paid too poorly to shop anywhere else. Wal-Mart has a very poor benefit system, too, and often cuts employees' hourse, so they never know from one week to the next if they'll be working part-time or not. oFten they end up working 32 hours if the store needs to cut back on expenses. Those who need a steady paycheck quit. Those who stay may end up getting state or federal benefits of one sort or another to supplement their poor pay or weak medical coverage. Articles have been written about how WamMart saves money by relying on public funds available to their employees for economic aid. WalMart also gets HUGE property tax breaks and other benefits for locating in a given area, even when it's the second store in a town.
    Exactly. WalMart knows this, and they exploit it. They know who their target audience is very well. None of it is happenstance.