Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Blondie or Madonna?

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited October 2011 in General Banter
Blondie? Madonna? Lady Gaga? Gwen Stefani?

I vote Blondie

Zeroriverflow

Comments

• I second this. She paved the way for the rest of them. Blondie forever...

btw, she has a new cd out, and is doing some limited touring.
  • Nina Hagen, Okay the pre-lady-gaga, let's see if I can post it, She is a german opera singer turned punk back in the 80's, love her

• Neither :p Is that a suitable answer??
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    Debbie Harry all the way. i absolutely adore Blondie.

also, i recently heard that madonna had a homeless brother living somewhere here in detroit. i understand they probably have some sort of bad history between them, but she's beyond rich and you can buy a house in detroit for ridiculously cheap these days. but idk... maybe she's just trying to let him fall on his ass. i was just rather put off when i heard that.

on a side note, tragic kingdom was like the second cd i ever bought for myself and i'll always have a soft spot for gwen.
  • Never heard of Gwen personally, and the thing about madonna could be mere hear say, gossip. I will always have a soft spot for blink 182 in that case, probably one of the first CDs I ever bought.. or someone bought for me :D
  • Tom Gwen Stefani is in the band No Doubt

Thats sad about Madonna if true
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran
    edited October 2011
    i saw a blip on the news originally, but i just looked it up online and it is apparently true. it turns out that in the past madonna had paid for his rehab but he apparently fell back off the wagon. it is possible that she is employing a tough love scenario. it would be hard to say unless she releases a statement. my initial comment may have been too harsh though, i admit.

tom, i'm sure you've heard of No Doubt, right? 90's band... biggest hits include: Just a Girl, Spiderwebs, Don't Speak, Bathwater, Hella Good, Hey Baby, It's my Life, Ex-Girlfriend... etc. Gwen eventually had her own solo career and now i think she mostly works on her fashion line.
    the first cd i ever bought was Jagged Little Pill by Alanis Morisette and to this day, i still think it was one of the greatest cds ever created. :) i did have some blink back in the day too though.
  • Bjork sure is super!
    Invincible_summer
  • Argh, mine did not show up, love Gwen Stefani, and I really hope someone looks up Nina Hagen doing New York NY on youtube some day based on my recommendation. My kids think she is scary.
  • TheEccentricTheEccentric Hampshire, UK Veteran
    Gaga all the way, she is vocally stronger and in more control of her music than an all these other less talented artists, Madonna especially, she has to accuse Gaga of copying her in a sad attempt to be rellevant
    Invincible_summer
  • NevermindNevermind Bitter & Hateful Veteran
    It's actually David Bowie in drag.
    Jeffrey
  • JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
    edited January 2013
    I like Gaga also. But as a cultural sex symbol I am not sure of Gaga's relevance. Is she a sex symbol? I don't know. Also Gaga and Madonna are mainstream whereas Blondie was more 'punk' and underground. So I like underground things and say Blondie is best. Blondie is very 'down to earth' in an interview I saw.
    Well I don't really know much about blondie but for sure I know Gaga is better than that poor old flop Madonna, her last album MDNA sucked (FLOPDNA as I call it) and now she has too get attention from insulting Gaga. My undisputed favourite female artist is Christina Aguilera, she slays them all.
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran
    Lady Gaga, with Blondie in very close second, then Madonna, then Gwen Stefani.

Lady Gaga has the best vocal chops out of the choices by far, and a very good song writer. Blondie was a great new-wave band. Madonna has some classic pop songs, but her voice isn't great and I don't think she wrote that many songs. Gwen Stefani's voice just annoys me.
  • I think Cyndi Lauper deserves honourable mention on that list.
    JeffreyMaryAnne
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    Ugh, no.
    She's not aged well....

I think you need to ask Annie Lennox or Debbie Harry?

Madonna isn't really all that......

Kate Bush was also an extraordinary pioneer of single women performers.... she notched up many firsts.
    Seemed like a dippy squeaky nonentity, but she had a business head on her shoulders that frankly took the Pop Moguls by surprise.....
    Invincible_summer
    FLOPDONNA IS IRRELEVANT, FLOPDNA FLOPS
  • Betty or Veronica? (Guess that dates me)
    zombiegirl
  • Blondie all the way.

Not only is she sexier in her sixties than Madonna ever was, musically she's streets ahead, far more creative and original.
    federica
    Jeffrey said:

Bjork sure is super!

I LOVE Bjork! I think she is so underrated... Her music is like art translated through audio vibrations. Put on certain songs of hers when you're alone and it's like you're not just listening to a song... you're changing the very environment around you. I don't know what to say... I think she's a genius.
    JeffreyInvincible_summer
  • Invincible_summerInvincible_summer Heavy Metal Dhamma We(s)t coast, Canada Veteran

Jeffrey said:

Bjork sure is super!

I LOVE Bjork! I think she is so underrated... Her music is like art translated through audio vibrations. Put on certain songs of hers when you're alone and it's like you're not just listening to a song... you're changing the very environment around you. I don't know what to say... I think she's a genius.
    Definitely in my top concerts - I saw her on her Volta tour.
    zombiegirl
    I want to see Bjork so badly! With a creative mind like hers, I know there is no way it would be anything short of amazing.
    Invincible_summer
    edited March 2013
    @nevermind
    Nevermind said:

It's actually David Bowie in drag.

Lady Gaga>>>Cold Cabbage and Custard>>>>Horse Meat>>>Dog Poo>>>>The Gum on my left shoe>>>Madonna (aka Flopdonna)

Little Monster for life.
  • Blondie certainly. But also Patti Smith. And Edith Piaf!
  • edited March 2013
    Or...

• CittaCitta Veteran
    1) Kate Bush. 2) Kate Bush and 3) Kate Bush the joint greatest songwriter the UK has produced in the genre...along with John Lennon.
    riverflow
  • blondie. no contest
  • Debbie Harry and Kate Bush. That's my desert island sorted.
    Jeffrey