Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

What Is Enlightenment, Awakening, Nirvana?

DakiniDakini Veteran
edited October 2011 in Philosophy
Is it a mystical, transcendant state? Or is it simply the letting go of grasping to material things and ego (status, power, etc.)? Is it a paranormal or altered state of consciousness? Or simple equanimity, a quiet contentedness?

Comments

• taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
    edited October 2011
    awakening is the non dual consciousness awakening to itself. then such consciousness dissolves into the presence and only awareness is known.

nirvana is the total cessation of suffering. from what i hear it occurs after a cycle of insights and is like bleeping out of everything for a moment.

awakening or enlightenment is to rest in the nature state of being, which is found only in surrender. this path ultimately leads to nirvana.

this is my understanding.

both paths lead to nirvana. one gradual. the other sudden then gradual cultivation.
  • So Nirvana isn't the same as Awakening or Enlightenment? Just clarifying.
  • definitely not. i thought nirvana was the same as awakening/enlightenment for the longest time and boy was i wrong.
    nirvana isn't a state. nirvana is just total cessation. daniel ingram talks a bit about it and thats where i get my source from.

but again this isn't something i've personally experienced, so i can only parrot what others have said.

with non dual awareness experience, i've had some experiential data on that stuff so i can talk with clarity on that subject.

awakening is to awaken to this ordinary mind. the ordinary mind is no different than the buddha mind. kenneth folk calls this the watcher or no-dog. it is different from rigpa or open awareness.
  • http://swamij.com/zen-ox.htm
    to awaken is to awaken to buddha nature. in the ox herding pictures it is to find the ox and to tame the ox.
    eventually the ox and the man is dropped after penetrating dependent origination and the three marks.

god i love these pictures!
  • I don't have my notes with me, but I was told the Buddha said Awakening was total cessation, too. I could see making an argument for Nirvana meaning fully realized Awakening, i.e. more or less 24/7 Awakening, whereas Awakening could just be what we occasionally experience when our thoughts cease, and we're without grasping. idk. Thanks for your input, Tai.
  • Well... he said cessation of craving and aversion basically.

So, that's not to be mistaken with total cessation of life or existence itself.
  • Buddha means awake. Nirvana means, "blown out" like the fire on a the wick of a candle after blowing upon it.
  • Permanantly freeing the mind from greed, hatred and ignorance.
  • yeah i agree with that definition. it is to be in total body/mind awakening 24/7.

full enlightenment is a massive feat!

this is why there are many awakened beings, who are not fully enlightened. they still need to penetrate dependent origination and the three marks. and finally come to total cessation or nirvana.

this is what separates the buddha from hinduism. he found the Self or Atman, but ultimately this wasn't freedom from suffering. thus he taught the path of anAtman!

but a lot of what i am speaking about comes from buddhas after the buddha on the bodhi tree. so take it for what its worth!
  • I agree with nearly everything that's been said so far, thanks, gang.
    Tai: the Buddha said that no-self was "nihilism", and Self (a permanent, fixed self) was Eternalism. His was a Middle Way between the two. I'm not sure where the idea he taught no-self as a path came from. (A subject for another thread, perhaps, but let's go with it for now.)
  • just interdependent streams of consciousness meeting sense organs = experience.

in seeing, only the seen, no seer.
    in tasting, only the taste, no taster.
    in feeling, only the sensation, no feeler.
    in thinking, only the thought, no thinker.
    in smelling, only the smell, no smeller.
    in hearing, only the sound, no hearer.

non self is the realization that there is no permanent, separate essence. in seeing, there is only seeing. there is only the process, no static "thing", just the illusion of thing or self based on ignorance/craving. so in seeing just seeing.
  • seeker242seeker242 Zen Florida, USA Veteran
    edited November 2011

"Friend Sariputta, Nibbāna, Nibbāna is it said! What is this Nibbāna?
    The destruction of Greed, the destruction of Hate, and the destruction of
    Ignorance! This, friend, is called Nibbāna …"

Total ease, complete calm, absolute freedom, perfect happiness & pure peace…
    Absence of any uncertainty, doubt, confusion, any delusion and all ignorance…
    Presence of confidence, certainty, understanding all, and direct experience…
    Absence of any greed, lust, desire, urge, attraction, hunger, and temptation…
    Presence of imperturbable and serene composure in an all stilled equanimity…
    Absence of all hate, anger, aversion, hostility, irritation, & stubborn rigidity…
    Presence of universal goodwill: An infinite & all-embracing friendly kindness…
    Nibbāna is not a place, not an idea, not a fantasy deception, not a conceit,
    not a conception, not a cause, not an effect, not finite, not definable,
    not formed, not begun, not ending, not changing, not temporal, but lasting…
    Nibbāna is unborn, unbecome, unmade, uncreated, uncaused, unconditioned,
    and unconstructed, yet ultimately real…
  • "Thro' many a birth in samsara wandered
    Seeking, but not finding, the builder of this house.
    Sorrowful is repeated birth.
    House builder, thou art seen.
    Thou shalt build no house again.
    All thy rafters are broken; thy ridgepole is shattered.
    The mind attains the unconditioned.
    Achieved is the end of craving."

"This is peaceful, this is excellent, namely the stilling of all pre­pa­rations, the relinquishment of all assets, the destruction of craving, detachment, cessation, extinction".
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    In my opinion, we all have "ahaaaah!" moments.

Awakening is the Alan Partridge of all "Ahaaaaah!"s....

• CloudCloud Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Nirvana is equated with (Total) Enlightenment or (Complete) Awakening. (Previous "awakenings" can be called glimpses of Nirvana that lead to some fetters/defilements being weakened or detached.)

It is the "unbinding" from the world by the cessation of Craving.
    Without craving (including clinging/attachment), there is no Suffering.

It's simply the resolution of the Four Noble Truths... removing the cause of suffering. The Third Noble Truth is "Nirodha" or Cessation of Tanha/Craving, which is the cause of suffering as stated in the Second Noble Truth.

Since it's the exact opposite of our normal mode of thinking/being, which is following our cravings around and living according to our likes/dislikes, it's very difficult to actually envision!
  • I don’t think it is helpful to define enlightenment, awakening or nirvana.
    Because once we define it, we want it, and we compare our present state to some other –enlightened, awakened or extinguished – state. Doing that separates us from what’s pure of its own nature.

So imho the good answers are the koan-like answers; the ones who knock down the question and the questioner, and throw us back in the present moment.

Just don’t know.
    Do what appears to be the appropriate thing to do right now and leave it.

• I believe an enlightened being also manifests buddha qualities for the benefit of sentient beings. This has something to do with 'knowledge veils' being lifted during the path. At least I have read that much. My teacher says the buddha qualities are infinite, ungraspable, and distinct.

This has to do with the third turning of the wheel of dharma. When you believe you have attained realization of emptiness, if the buddha qualities have not manifested then logically there must be veils or a subtle grasping.

There are five paramitas in the mahayana teachings which are developed in order to become useful for sentient beings: generosity, ethics (yes!), patience, forbearance, joyful energy, and concentration. Those qualities aren't liberating in themselves and thus there is a 6th paramita- insight. I have read that all the paramitas are wound together such that generosity in the paramitas is special. At a beginner level our generosity is mixed with confusion and so forth, but a bodhisattva's generosity is mixed more with insight and the other qualities (ethics, patience).

The insight paramita is probably related to bodhicitta. Pema chodron said it is like fresh eyes. My lama says it has a yielding quality and a sort of motion. My own idea is that it is like what we are able to do when we don't know what is going to happen and we are confident and having patience to let ourselves express. Even in writing we just 'go with it' and express ourselves somehow. Of course we are neither as skillful nor as clear seeing as a buddha!