Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A Spiritual Exercis from Buddha

edited November 2011 in Meditation
Hello,

This is from the first chapter of a book called Messengers of God by Micheal Edward Owens. I found the first chapter here(http://issuu.com/thewayoftruth/docs/buddha) .This chapter was helpful, and useful for me. Here is the exercise at the end of the chapter. I hope this helps someone out there.
God bless
It is useless to attempt to exert one's ego in a
transient world where all that is without heart
and soul will melt away like ice in the sun.
And so, let us begin our contemplation in this
way:
1. Imagine that your mind is a block of ice
floating on a stormy sea. Say to the sea,
"Be calm!" and wait until it abates into
stillness.
2. Now watch as the sun blazes through
parting clouds and melts the cold
hardness of your mind until you are free
of it and left alone with your breathing.
3. Slowly breathe in and out, and say
aloud, "God, free me from myself to be
one with your heart."
4. Now rest with these words and feel
their reality. What do such words mean
to you? Do they make sense, or do you
want to argue with them?
5. If you want to argue, go back to the ice
block on the sea and begin again, for the
non-power cannot take hold until it is
melted from your mind. This is a
transitory world of Illusion, my dear
ones, do not make it more than it is and
do not waste your time with futile
exercises of the ego.
Seek the greater power of enlightenment
within you that will unite you with God's
grace and mercy. Be a light unto the world -
- take not from your brethren, but GIVE to
them all that is in your heart and soul to
give. That is real -- that is TRUTH.
I leave you now with my undying love and devotion.
~ Siddhartha Gautama Buddha

Comments

• Who is this "God" that is being prayed to in this exercise?
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    Who is this "God" that is being prayed to in this exercise?
    LOL
  • The awakened heart/mind found through surrender is the god pointed at here.
    But I thought he was some bearded man in the sky? :hrm:

I jest. ;)
    LOL
    Thanks for making me feel stupid
    edited November 2011
    LOL
    LOL!! How'd I do that? xD I said LOL because it made me laugh as it was funny.
  • The awakened heart/mind found through surrender is the god pointed at here.

I don't see the connection, but will look for it... thanks

Perhaps it's my pre-conditioned concept of what is meant by "God" that got in the way
    LOL
    Ahh OK... felt like it was a question I shouldn't be asking, but asked anyways.... then met with a "LOL"... no worries
  • “The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.”

― Meister Eckhart
    LOL
    Ahh OK... felt like it was a question I shouldn't be asking, but asked anyways.... then met with a "LOL"... no worries
    In a Buddhist forum, I often wonder what people mean by God when they mention it as well. Don't feel bad. :)
  • “The eye through which I see God is the same eye through which God sees me; my eye and God's eye are one eye, one seeing, one knowing, one love.”

― Meister Eckhart
    Sorry if I'm hijacking, I can make a new thread if this gets carried away... but,
    I understand the one with God... I got my initial understanding from Alan Watts, and perhaps not the best source on the subject, but was presented as that we are God in a sense, as we are everything that there is... but what didn't make sense to me in the exercise was asking to be united with God's grace and mercy, as if he was a sperate identity who had an upper hand on you. Sounds like a prayer found in a Christian church?

• check out www.wayoftruth.org
  • no it's not about finding some separate being. it's about directly perceiving emptiness.

this emptiness is totally interdependent and it is the felt sensation of the "subject" dissolving into the wholeness of existence. it is when consciousness awakens to awareness. it is the presence of awareness made manifest in the body/mind. it is to feel in our bones and gut the oneness that zen points to.

only through a radical acceptance/surrender to what is do we have even the potential to awaken to the heart/mind. we can strive all we want. how can we make something that is already perfect even more perfect? all our practice and striving is to come to failure and then in such stopping we surrender.

but this is awakening or rather perceiving the emptiness directly. it marks the beginning of the path in zen buddhism. we find the ox and then tame the ox.

when we pray to anything, we pray only to ourselves. when we ask for forgiveness, we are only asking ourselves to forgive ourselves. God is just the big Other for most people. Through meditation we realize that there is only the Other. Everything is not mine or graspable. Thus we can learn to be intimate with everything because it what we are in essence. Sounds paradoxical, but that is how it is experienced.
  • There were a few errors in the chapter posted in the original post. Here is an an updated link. http://issuu.com/thewayoftruth/docs/messengers_chapter_11.24

I believe this quote from above sums up what I understand God to be in the above exercise.
    "The awakened heart/mind found through surrender is the god pointed at here."

Thanks for any discussion. I will try to participate in any further discussion.
  • I really like this exercise, I will have to try it. And the G-word doesn't bother me one way or another,