Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

TED Talk: Mushroom Burial Suit

edited November 2011 in Arts & Writings

Interesting, yet very Buddhist IMHO.

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Thank you!
  • I really liked it; pretty lady too.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    Kinda reminds me of the Tibetan ritual of "Sky burial."

From Wiki:

"Sky burial or ritual dissection was once a common funerary practice in Tibet wherein a human corpse is cut in specific locations and placed on a mountaintop, exposing it to the elements or the mahabhuta and animals – especially to birds of prey. The location of the sky burial preparation and place of execution are understood in the Vajrayana traditions as charnel grounds. In Tibet the practice is known as jhator (Tibetan: བྱ་གཏོར་; Wylie: bya gtor), which literally means, "giving alms to the birds."

The majority of Tibetans adhere to Buddhism, which teaches rebirth. There is no need to preserve the body, as it is now an empty vessel. Birds may eat it, or nature may let it decompose. So the function of the sky burial is simply the disposal of the remains. In much of Tibet the ground is too hard and rocky to dig a grave, and with fuel and timber scarce, a sky burial is often more practical than cremation."
  • @BonsaiDoug now that you mention it, it does remind me of sky burials. I wish I had that option, but I don't. Hopefully the mushroom option is open to me.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    That is so neat!