Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

If not for the heart, what use is this all?

taiyakitaiyaki Veteran
edited November 2011 in Buddhism Basics
‎"Look at every path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary. Then ask yourself and yourself alone one question. This question is one that only a very old man asks. My benefactor told me about it once when I was young and my blood was to vigorous for me to understand it. Now I do understand it. I will tell you what it is: Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good. IF it doesn't, it is of no use."

-Don Juan, in his teachings to Carlos Castaneda

it's what we avoid the most because of all the sorrows and pain we received in this life.

to have a body/mind/heart is to feel pain. but when we are willing to open up to the pain we discover the amazing open heart.

infinite love and infinite energy of compassion.

what more do we need? isn't this the point? forget philosophy or theory. what use is buddhism if we cannot open our hearts to everything.

Comments

• Very beautiful and true IMO. I believe true compassion is 100% fundamental in buddhism, without it the veichle quickly becomes stuck! Thanks for sharing :)
  • "to have a body/mind/heart is to feel pain. but when we are willing to open up to the pain we discover the amazing open heart."

Yes beautiful