Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Hi/ Twelve Nidanas/ My understanding thus far

PremaSagarPremaSagar Veteran
edited November 2011 in Buddhism Basics
Hi! I am currently a non-sectarian Buddhist looking to become a monk within two years. I came across this site as I was browsing 'Dharma Wheel' a less populates Mahayana forum. I decided to join this forum because the population here seems to be larger,growing and I would be able to get input from Dharma brothers/sisters from a variety of traditions.
A little side question here: Because I want to become a monastic I was wondering what materials should I study ?

I understand that there are many lists in Buddhism and that I should do my best to memorize and comprehend the lists that I come across.
I currently can profess my knowledge of the teachings of Buddha Bhagavan as thus if any faults are found in what I present as my knowledge of Buddhist teaching please correct me:

1. The nature of suffering lies in birth,death, aging, illness, separation from pleasant sensory objects, and meeting with painful sensory objects

2. The cause of these suffering is our never ending lust and craving for satisfaction in transitory and conditioned phenomena. Our never ending craving for a permanent satisfaction in composite sensory objects that produce pleasant sensations.

3. The cause of the cessation and destruction of suffering lies in eliminating this craving this desire that humans have towards worldly pursuits and objects.

4. The path to be followed is Eightfold : Right View, Right Intention, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness, Right Concentration.

All composite phenomena are marked my impermanence (anicca) , unsatisfactoriness (dukkha), and lack of an inherent-self (anatta)
The purpose of our meditation is to calm the mind thereby granting us insight and gradually extinguishing our passions which leads to the blissful state of Nirvana where suffering is non-existent and where one is neither born nor dies.
There are three defilements which a practitioner must burn away: Anger, Attachments, and Lust

=================================================================================================================
Other than that I want to understand what exactly are the Twelve Nirdanas ?. Can you explain them to me in a very simple way as you would instruct a child ?. Please you simple language and analogies if you can.
After memorizing Twelve Nirdanas I'll be asking for your help and commentary on the Seven Factors of Enlightenment.

With much metta- PremaSagar