Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Reason Rally 2012!

MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
edited November 2011 in General Banter
Now, I know not all of you guys consider yourself Agnostic, Atheist, or even secular, but here is something interesting that I am hoping I can go to:

http://reasonrally.org/

The Reason Rally is a movement-wide event sponsored by the country’s major secular organizations. The intent is to unify, energize, and embolden secular people nationwide, while dispelling the negative opinions held by so much of American society… and having a damn good time doing it! It will be free to attend and will take place in Washington, D.C. on March 24th, 2012 from 10:00AM – 4:00PM at the National Mall. There will be music, comedy, speakers, and so much more.

Speakers include:
*Richard Dawkins
*PZ Myers
*David Silverman
and many, many more.

Comments

• Has it come to this? Non-religious people have to stage a rally on the Mall, as if they were members of a despised minority? :confused:
  • Sounds cool MG
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
    as if they were members of a despised minority? :confused:
    They are. Really. Atheists are the most hated minority in the United States. Poll after poll has shown this. Not even Muslims compare to the hatred that Atheists/Agnostics/Secular Humanists get.

http://atheism.about.com/od/atheistbigotryprejudice/a/AtheistSurveys.htm

• edited November 2011
    I guess that's why the Unitarian Universalists pretend to be a Christian Church. Pretty good cover. Keeps everybody off their back.
  • MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
    Its always a better cover to say "I'm a Buddhist" than it is to say "I'm an Atheist." Atheist is a loaded word meaning (to Christians) anti-theist, god-hating, potentially gay, pseudo-intellectual. Buddhist just means (to Christians) people who sit under trees and have fat laughing man statues in their house.

Of course, there is a bit of truth to both of these. :p

Although, technically, many Buddhists (western ones) are Agnostic Atheists/Apatheists (although some don't admit it because you don't seem to understand what that actually means). *shrug*