Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

The Time, Space, Knowledge Vision

edited March 2006 in Buddhism Today
Is anyone here familiar with TSK, the Time, Space, Knowledge vision? In my opinion, it is communicates central truths of the dharma in a modern way, without simply being a "restatement" of Buddhism. Tarthang Tulku wrote the first TSK book in 1977 (Time, Space, and Knowledge), and has since published a number of other books in the series. I have been studying this vision for a number of years and practicing a number of its practices, but haven't met many other people who are very familiar with it.

Here's an introduction to the TSK vision:
"Space and Time are not simply backgrounds or supporting mediums for our ordinary pursuits and experience; they can provide a very special and direct form of nourishment for our 'humanity' or human nature, which is usually fed only indirectly through the pursuit of sensory and emotional gratification. Our attitudes, emotions and even our actions are usually rather 'closed' states of being. We can use knowledge to open space and time, and to inspire personal growth and integration. The liberating presence of space and time shows us that within all stagnant and oppressive conditions there is actually room for movement and growth. We do not need to escape from these situations. Knowledge can inspire a new way of being in which the usual difficulties and conflicts which we experience in our daily lives--and which also seem to be inherent in the world situation--can be seen in a new light--they are no longer so rigid or unsolvable. As these experiences take on a more open, transparent quality, we are more literally able to create balance and harmony in our lives, and in our world as well.

"When we open all our perspectives and our senses, and learn to view life in a holistic way, we can see that the time, space, and knowledge which have established restrictive perimeters have done so only because they have been insufficiently challenged, explored, and appreciated. We can learn to recognize whatever we experience to be space and time.

"As our perception of time and space opens, we can begin to see and appreciate a new kind of knowlcdge, a knowledge beyond duality and dichotomies, which is all-pervasive. With this knowledge we can learn to see the playfulness of all situations; we can open to the natural tendency of our energies to flow toward the exploration of understanding and beauty-toward the deeper values of humanity.

"Once our perspective is sufficiently open, all experience can be seen as the dynamic play of Space, Time, and Knowledge. The inherent beauty of appearance, which is the dance of Time, Space, and Knowledge, unfoIds naturally before and with us. We can then directly experience our Being, which expresses itself as a dynamic and complete freedom. In this way we can discover what it means to be truly human.

"As we develop our faculty of appreciation still further, we can begin to see our situation in a more global perspective. We gain a more balanced view regarding the limits of our material emphasis, as well as a discernment of what is necessary to complement and fulfill it. We can thus achieve a balance. By the development of an appreciative capacity which is built on the broadest possible base, and yet is entirely flexible, all humanity can be both fulfilled and unified." (pp. xxxviii-xxxix, Time, Space, and Knowledge )

Just curious if there are any TSKers around...

Comments

• buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Hey Balder,

I'm not a TSKer... and I guess I really can't grasp what is being said.

I can understand the "closed state of being" and the pursuit of sensory and emotional gratification - I just can't see how Time, Space and Knowledge come into play.

I guess part of it culd be realizing that:

A chair is a chair. But it also the sunshine, the seed, the water, the growth, the harvesting, the investment of time and labor to mold and sculpt it.

Could be akin to the fact that

Everything that we are at some earlier point is just the stuff found in Star Nurseries. All the chemicals and minerals we find on our entire planet is stuff that has been and is being cast about the universe (this one that we know of) throughout it's existance.

As Mr. Thunderslceese said (see The Brak Show)
    "time" is a concept that carbon based beings use to monitor their own decay.
    While, somewhat blunt, I guess that's what "time" truly comes down to. Once we're dead - Time may be of no importance anymore.

Anyway, just a couple of thoughts off the top of my head.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    One way of talking about interdependence (pratitya-samutpada) is as you have done, pointing to our interconnectedness with the cosmos on the physical level, or folding the history of past actions into that too. If you think about it, all objects are on par with "space" (TSK describes physical objects as "space projecting space into space"), and the history of actions that are all "one" in the constitution of this moment is a way of speaking about time.

But TSK challenges conventional notions of both space and time, speaking of them on three different levels. The first level is the conventional experience of linear time, perhaps the time that is the "illusion" of carbon based beings... :) The second level of time is experienced as more open, flowing, non-linear and multi-directional. Third level time, space, and knowledge are all described (as well as they can be) in nondual terms, corresponding (in my opinion) somewhat to the union of emptiness, clarity, and energy of Dzogchen.

I have found TSK to provide a powerful way to contact these dimensions of our being in and through our embodied experience.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    May I, in my own inexperienced and amateur way, ask whether this is akin to the "two types of Time" Eckhart Tolle was referring to in his book, "The Power of Now" - ?
    He speaks of 'Chronological Time' ie, the 'time' we need in order to measure from seconds to centuries... to organise our lives (birth dates, dental appointments, flight and check-in times) as opposed to 'Projected Time' ie, our perception of Past, Present and Future in relation to emotions, feelings and just.... Being..... and that as Projected Time is an illusion, we share the same perceptions, and thus the same consciousness.... and are thus inseparable....

or am I flying off onto a different bat's wing....?!

Sorry....
    Thanks.....
  • edited March 2006
    I've The Power of Now, and would have to go back to it to be sure, but I don't think they are the same. Or, that both of Tolle's categories belong to a mundane, intellectual understanding of time. Definitely, Tolle experienced an awakening (as far as I'm concerned...since I don't limit this experience to Buddhists), but I have to go back to the book.

I think what Balder is referring to (2nd and 3rd levels), and what might apply to dzogchen, is actually a form of cognitive distortion, but explained experiencially with spiritual terms.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Ah... I see.... Well, if that is the case, then I'm probably sunk, because there's only so much "Life, the Universe and Everything" my poor little brain can take;...!! :crazy: :D
  • edited March 2006
    Same bat time, same bat channel...?

I do think they're related, though in a way, you could say that "projected time" is an expression of knowledge, a process of memory and imagination.

I find many of the distinctions Tolle draws to mirror those made by Krishnamurti. In this case, K used to distinguish between chronological time and psychological time.

TSK would suggest that knowingness interacts with time with relatively narrow or wide focal settings, such that both linear chronological time and the "projected time" of anticipation are results of particular perspectives we are taking and "inhabiting." Neither is ultimate, according to TSK.

I believe TSK's third level of time, Great Time, may correspond to Tolle's Now, but I'm not sure about that.

Best wishes,

Balder
  • edited March 2006
    I don't remember the specifics of the book, but if he distinguished the perception of 'now' as other then illusion...I'd agree.

"I believe TSK's third level of time, Great Time, may correspond to Tolle's Now, but I'm not sure about that."
    edited March 2006
    I think I could do with a stiff drink..... :lol:
  • edited March 2006
    federica wrote:
    I think I could do with a stiff drink..... :lol:
    :lol:
  • edited March 2006
    Tanzan- "One who does not drink isnt even human".

Unsho- "You call me inhuman just because I wont have a drink? If I am not human what am I"?

Tanzan- "A Buddha".

:grin:
  • edited March 2006
    If anyone is interested (though it doesn't seem like it!), the following website contains a number of interesting TSK practices:

http://tsk.designwest.com/
  • edited March 2006
    You might be surprised Balder.
  • edited March 2006
    You might be surprised Balder.
    :D It's happened before!