Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Another one about picking guru

JeffreyJeffrey Veteran
edited November 2011 in Philosophy
I thought we could go over this again because it's important. This is from namoamituofo a free email teaching you may receive called the daily enlightenment

There is the mistaken notion, that after 'carefully' choosing human gurus (spiritual teachers), we should trust them completely, that as all gurus are 'empty' in nature, all the good and bad qualities we perceive of them are merely our projections. This idea is wrong on many levels. Because we are not enlightened, the teacher we choose might be unenlightened as well. Thus, if we totally entrust our spirituality to them without question, it could be dangerous. (Even recent history shows that there are gurus assumed to be 'great' who turn out to have great misgivings.) Yet, we have to choose who is worth learning from with the best of our limited wisdom – which we should continually strive to increase. Blind faith in any teacher or teaching is a big no-no, for it is the nemesis of discerning wisdom. True spiritual devotion is towards the perfect wisdom that teachers dispense; not to their imperfect personalities. If any teacher demands the latter, he or she would surely be a faulty self-centred teacher; and not a Dharma-centred one.

If everything about teachers is projected from the side of the students, this would mean that the teachers would be exactly the same as each student in every way! Of course, this is never the case. If all teachers are not different from their students, the teachers ought to be done away with, for every student might as well simply take their reflections in the mirror to be their own teachers! It is exactly because teachers are supposedly superior in compassion and wisdom that students learn from them. However, the ways teachers are perceived are indeed to some extent dependent on their students' perceptions. But if they are willing to learn, they learn to be open-minded, by clarifying doubts and clearing bias instead of just stubbornly hanging on to them. When students stop intelligent enquiry though, blind faith in their teachers starts seeping in. They might even aggressively rationalise their teacher's faults to others.

Some even use faulty teachings learnt to defend sound criticisms about their teachers, claiming the critics to be biased, when they are the ones who are. Some say that their teachers being criticised only reflects that all teachers, like everything else, are of 'emptiness'. This is a severely deluded perspective. If everything is of 'emptiness', does it mean that anything goes when it comes to conduct and teachings? Why learn anything from any specific teacher then? Some erroneously claim that as their teachers are 'empty', if they are seen as erroneous, it is due to erroneous personal perceptions. Surely, when teachers break the precepts, it does not mean that their misconduct is their students' fault. Sometimes, poor teachers might turn out to have good students, who have better conduct than them! Seeing anyone as 'empty' does not absolve that person's misdeeds or dissolve the possible harms of such mistakes. [continue here]

May all faulty teachers swiftly awaken to their mistakes.
May all faulty students swiftly awaken to their mistakes.
May all swiftly awaken one another to one another's mistakes.

Comments

• And then there is the general distrust and suspicion of those in spiritual circles. Around and around we go but how can we ever expect Truth if we are not Truth - fully - herself. Until then, traps abound, I guess.

Namaste.
  • One psychiatrist I work closely with said it is never wise to completely trust anyone, including ourselves and for me this seems to apply well to our relationships with our teachers.
  • edited November 2011
    This is a gem. Good work, Jeffrey. Very good. :thumbsup:

@andyrobyn I think it's kind of sad and speaks to the human condition, and perhaps to the conditions in which some children are raised at home, that people even need to be told not to trust anyone immediately. Think about it: how much sense does it make to place all your trust, including in some cases, your physical integrity, in the hands of a complete stranger? Just because he or she is wearing robes of some sort.
  • Just like in any “worldly” organization in a “spiritual” one we need some checks and balances.

The guru has to be open about what he/she is doing.
    Students need to be open about what is going on.
    No secrecy.

Split functions. The spiritual teacher is not the person who decides where the money goes. He is not keeping the books and he is not signing the deals.

Don’t get isolated. Find points of reference outside the group. Be part of the bigger community.

Don’t lose touch with family and friends. When you find you can not be open to them about what’s going on in your sangha, something is wrong with your sangha, not with your family and friends…

That sort of thing is what we have to keep in mind.
    I wish this kind of talk was completely academic, but it isn’t.

• @zenff Your and Jeffrey's post should be on a leaflet handed out to all newbies.
  • What a great thread! Thanks, Jeffrey, and zenff, too. :)
  • One psychiatrist I work closely with said it is never wise to completely trust anyone, including ourselves and for me this seems to apply well to our relationships with our teachers.
    Interesting..and informative. There is a reason that the field of psychiatrists are never as deeply happy, peaceful and compassionate as what is offered elsewhere though IMO.
  • Just like in any “worldly” organization in a “spiritual” one we need some checks and balances.

The guru has to be open about what he/she is doing.
    Students need to be open about what is going on.
    No secrecy.

Split functions. The spiritual teacher is not the person who decides where the money goes. He is not keeping the books and he is not signing the deals.

Don’t get isolated. Find points of reference outside the group. Be part of the bigger community.

Don’t lose touch with family and friends. When you find you can not be open to them about what’s going on in your sangha, something is wrong with your sangha, not with your family and friends…

That sort of thing is what we have to keep in mind.
    I wish this kind of talk was completely academic, but it isn’t.

It appears there is probably a lot of corruption, and the form isn't anything of itself...What a tricky world. I am lucky to have met so many real...

_/\_
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2011
    “When a person has shaved his hair and beard and put on the ochre robe, that’s the symbol of his state as a monk. But it counts only on the external level. Only when he has shaved off the mental tangle — all lower preoccupations — from his heart can you call him a monk on the internal level.

“When a head has been shaved, little creeping insects like lice can’t take up residence there. In the same way, when a mind has gained release from its preoccupations and is freed from fabrication, suffering can’t take up residence at all. When this becomes your normal state, you can be called a genuine monk.”

- Ajahn Dune Atulo

And that goes for all of us, I guess - without exception.

Namaste.

• Interesting..and informative. There is a reason that the field of psychiatrists are never as deeply happy, peaceful and compassionate as what is offered elsewhere though IMO.
    What does this mean? Mental health professionals aren't compassionate or happy or peaceful? What does "elsewhere" refer to? :confused:
  • andyrobynandyrobyn Veteran
    edited November 2011
    This is a gem. Good work, Jeffrey. Very good. :thumbsup:

@andyrobyn I think it's kind of sad and speaks to the human condition, and perhaps to the conditions in which some children are raised at home, that people even need to be told not to trust anyone immediately. Think about it: how much sense does it make to place all your trust, including in some cases, your physical integrity, in the hands of a complete stranger? Just because he or she is wearing robes of some sort.
    I agree c_w ... although some people would say that it would be great to be able to abdicate all responsibilty for any aspect of our growth onto another ( for example spiritual or emotional ... in the case of for example a guru or a psychiatrist ). The problem is that some people who are in the position of guru and psychiatrist fail to live up to their own responsibilities too. Having had experience with both guru and psychiatrist in my life I know that the relationship is not an equal one and the student/patient is vulnerable to experience unethical behaviour if the guru/psychiatrist " loses the plot ".

• Interesting..and informative. There is a reason that the field of psychiatrists are never as deeply happy, peaceful and compassionate as what is offered elsewhere though IMO.
    What does this mean? Mental health professionals aren't compassionate or happy or peaceful? What does "elsewhere" refer to? :confused:
    The rate of suicide amongst psychiatrists is very high. I am not sure quite what you are getting at here though either Floating Abu; in that this is a big generalisation and in my experience not accurate.

• @andyrobyn Sorry to hear you've had "iffy" experiences with not only in the guru field, but also the psychiatric. I think it's as challenging to find a good mental health care professional as it is a good guru. It's a needle-in-the-haystack situation in both fields.
  • It strikes me that the mental health care field may be a lot like the monkhood in that a lot of people go into both fields for the wrong reasons, and that's why problems crop up. People are in those fields who aren't suited to them. But there are gifted people in those fields as well. Those are the ones to ferret out and work with.
  • @Floating Abu “It appears there is probably a lot of corruption, and the form isn't anything of itself...What a tricky world. I am lucky to have met so many real...”

An organization needs to be PREPARED for staff-members who are going to steal and abuse their position.
    A sangha needs to be PREPARED for a teacher who is going to try to abuse his power.
    The organization must be equipped for the worst case scenario.

In the same way lawyers point out that when you get married - even though it is the last thing you want to think about – you have to make the proper arrangements for the case of divorce.
    It may be difficult to discuss divorce even before you get married, but it is much better to face this real possibility before it happens.

• It's OK, zenff, but what I am suggesting is also - in the level of practice, to not be conned, be truth yourself, fully, then the fear of conmen runs its natural course (not that we don't step out of their way or point others away from them)

IMO.

_/\_
  • Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
    edited November 2011

Interesting..and informative. There is a reason that the field of psychiatrists are never as deeply happy, peaceful and compassionate as what is offered elsewhere though IMO.
    Dear friends

I meant no disrespect towards psychiatrists but personally, I doubt that the peace of mind and full transformation/liberation that can occur through Dhamma practice is equivalent to the mind of a psychiatrist or psychologist.

I do not wish to elaborate too much, and mean no offence by my comments.

My response though was regarding the don't trust anyone including yourself comment.

This is far from my experience.

Dogen once said:

'To study Buddhism is to study the self
    To study the self is to forget the self
    To forget the self is to be enlightened by the ten thousand Dhammas' etc

Thence, forgetting the self and yet living clearly is just one of the first steps of Dhammic practice, it is far beyong issues of trust and distrust then - my understanding of it is it then can embrace life and love fully, it is a heart of peace, insight, clarity and ultimately, joy perhaps.

Just my 2 pence, please ignore at will.

Best wishes,
    Abu

• @andyrobyn Sorry to hear you've had "iffy" experiences with not only in the guru field, but also the psychiatric. I think it's as challenging to find a good mental health care professional as it is a good guru. It's a needle-in-the-haystack situation in both fields.
    Thanks c_w..... My own experiences were not something I hang on to as particularly " iffy ", all part of the mix.

• I don't think anyone is suggesting psychotherapy or psychiatric remedies as an alternate path to Buddhism, but as a complement to Buddhism for those that need it. For some, it's a blessing. And as with the search for a guru and a good sangha, there needs to be a screening process.
  • Agree with you ( again c_w !! )

Horses for courses, I say ... psychiatry and Buddhist practice, whichever tradition, have a very different focus and aim - superficially they may seem very similar, and I do not think they are non-complimentary in any way.