Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Abhidharmakosa study site

edited March 2006 in Philosophy
Malcolm Smith (aka namdrol) is solidly grounded in Tibetan Buddhism. He has started a site devoted to the study of Vasubandhu's important work. One can listen to his podcast commentary and/or ask questions via text.

http://abhidharmakosha.blogspot.com/

Comments

• federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Hello Will... welcome to the forum.... we have met before, many times.
    nice to see you here.

:)
  • edited March 2006
    namdrol said he "will be relying on Kadampa author, Chim Lobsang Dragpa and the interlineal commentary of Dzogchen Khenpo Shen ga" for his comments and interpretation of Vasubandhu's work.

Only the first four verses are posted. Since I am not podcast enabled, he may have covered more ground in his spoken comments.
  • edited March 2006
    Off we go! Another 4 verses with comments & questions.

Several non-native English speakers have volunteered to transcribe namdrol's podcasts. They could use an English copyeditor to smooth out & correct their transcriptions. Drop by the site and volunteer, if you are interested in either helping transcribe or being a copyeditor.
  • edited March 2006
    Sorry Will,
    The link is just typical of the pretentious jargon that I really dislike. I am really sorry if this angers you. However, I cannot fathom out why Buddhism or indeed Buddha would rap that tongue around us.

Plain speak will get the message over whether you are at the beginning, middle or end.

Buddhism must think Berliner .

Sorry, HH
  • edited March 2006
    Sorry Will,
    The link is just typical of the pretentious jargon that I really dislike. I am really sorry if this angers you. However, I cannot fathom out why Buddhism or indeed Buddha would rap that tongue around us.

Plain speak will get the message over whether you are at the beginning, middle or end.

Buddhism must think Berliner .

Sorry, HH

Why would I be angry? Not everyone finds valuable every Dharma teaching or experience now. However Je Tsongkhapa said that every Dharma teaching & experience is important for everyone at some point on the path of the Tathagatas.

As for "jargon" - every field of thought (even secular) that has been around for generations (or even decades) develops special terms and phrases. In a sense Buddhism is a sort of psychological science and thus has and needs precise terms to express difficult concepts, ideas & states.
  • edited March 2006
    " experience is important for everyone at some point on the path of the Tathagatas".

Wha appin Will.
    See you're at it again.Forgive my ignorance but it's sound like Buddhism meet the Lord of the Rings.

Me, well I like to keep it street. What's wrong with old school enlightenment.

HH