Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Dharma Gems

edited September 2006 in Buddhism Basics
There is a lot here, so maybe a thread dedicated to Dharma quotes already exists. But the Dharma is vast in scope, so perhaps two threads are OK.
=======================

In cultivating the Way, if one is unable to change one's faults, then this is just the same as not cultivating the Way at all. In studying the Buddha Dharma, if one is unable to realize one's own faults and the necessity to change them, then this is just the same as not studying the Buddha Dharma at all. In this connection, there is the so-called, "Having gone through fifty years one then realizes the forty-nine years of faults." If one realizes the points where one has been wrong in what one has practiced and done in the past, anyone who experiences this kind of feeling is a person who possesses wisdom. The road of the future is full of an immeasurable amount of brightness. If on the other hand one does not realize where one has been wrong in the past, this person will remain confused for the rest of his life. One who seeks after an empty reputation is just being confused by the dust of the sense objects. People of this sort are so very pitiable!

Master Hsuan Hua

Comments

• edited March 2006
    Buddha's Zen

Buddha said: "I consider the positions of kings and rulers as that of dust motes. I observe treasures of gold and gems as so many bricks and pebbles. I look upon the finest silken robes as tattered rags. I see myriad worlds of the universe as small seeds of fruit, and the greatest lake in India as a drop of oil on my foot. I perceive the teachings of the world to be the illusion of magicians. I discern the highest conception of emancipation as a golden brocade in a dream, and view the holy path of the illuminated ones as flowers appearing in one's eyes. I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime. I look upon the judgment of right and wrong as the serpentine dance of a dragon, and the rise and fall of beliefs as but traces left by the four seasons."

From Zen Flesh, Zen Bones
  • edited March 2006
    Will,

Talking of quotes: Where did this come from? "I saw an ancient path, an ancient road, the noble eightfold path traveled by the Perfect Buddhas of long ago. I followed that path."

Buddha

References please.
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    I have to go with my sig stand-by... the teachings of the Kalama...

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    kowtaaia wrote:
    Will,

Talking of quotes: Where did this come from? "I saw an ancient path, an ancient road, the noble eightfold path traveled by the Perfect Buddhas of long ago. I followed that path."

Buddha

References please.

Just search part of the phrase via Google and all will be revealed; or read SN XII.65
  • edited March 2006
    Buddhas are brave and invincible. Buddhas subdue all demons.
    Within the Light Buddhas proclaim wondrous truths.
    Because of Their love and compassion, Buddhas act thus.
    ===============

Vast Power, Wisdom & Love = Buddhas
  • edited March 2006
    A tired traveler sweltering from the heat is happy to find the leafy green shade of a tree. A wanderer, worn out traveling the paths of existence, is happy when precious bodhicitta grows.

The precious gem of bodhicitta does not discriminate between rich and poor, does not differentiate between wise and foolish; it benefits equally the high and the low.

Bodhicitta, the seed of a buddha, causes one to engage in beneficial thought and practice without discriminating the six kinds [of wandering beings], place, time or occasion.

Khunu Rinpoche, Vast as the Heavens Deep as the Sea, vv. 30-32
  • edited March 2006
    "I see meditation as a pillar of a mountain, Nirvana as a nightmare of daytime".

Why nightmare?

Martin
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    because it is an illusion during our waking moments... something we seek but cannot find in an unenlightened state, so we 'daydream' and forget that the true essence is to rid ourselves of all attachment and grasping... that which we grasp at and cling to is forever out of reach...that which we cradle gently as a transitory aim is held tight within our arms...
  • edited September 2006
    "Those wishing to achieve these merits and virtues should cultivate ten vast and great practices and vows. What are these ten?

First, Pay homage and respect to all Buddha’s.
    Second, Praise all the Buddha’s.
    Third, Make abundant offerings.
    Fourth, Repent misdeeds and evil karma’s (actions).
    Fifth, Rejoice in others’ merits and virtues.
    Sixth, Request the Buddha’s to teach.
    Seventh, Request the Buddha’s to remain in the world.
    Eighth, Follow the teachings of the Buddha’s at all times.
    Ninth, Accommodate and benefit all living beings.
    Tenth, Transfer all merits and virtues universally."