Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

A temporary leave of absence.

JasonJason God EmperorArrakis Moderator
edited April 2006 in Sanghas
My friends,

I have managed to successfully get myself banned from E-sangha, as well as to question some of my many held assumptions about what the Buddha taught. In light of this, I have decided to take some time off from posting here for a while. From now on, if anybody directly asks me a question, I will certainly answer it; but I will refrain from joining in the majority of general converstation that may arise. Please note that this has nothing to do with this forum or any person in particular. I have just decided to focus more on my studies and practice, and less on trying to share what I know [or think I know]. I am not entirely sure that everything I say is 100% in line with the Suttas themselves, so I am going to devote more time to studying so that I can be absolutely sure. Hopefully, when I do decide to come back fully, it will be with more certainty and understanding of the Buddha's Dhamma. May we all one day reach the other shore.

Sincerely,

Jason

Comments

• BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    edited March 2006
    bull crap. you're taking time off to play Game Boy.. Don't lie to me, son. I can smell it three thousand miles away ;)
  • JasonJason God Emperor Arrakis Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Brian,

Maybe a little...

;)

Jason
  • BrigidBrigid Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Jason,

I had a lot of respect for you before, but now it's doubled.
    You're an inspiration to me.

Take all the time you need and thanks so much for remaining available.

You rock, dude.

Brigid
    edited March 2006
    Brigid,

Thank you.

:)

Jason
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    I wil tell you how it is with me....

I have had the good fortune to participate in several Buddhist forums recently.
    I have also had the saddening experience of just leaving them again.
    And here's the problem.
    OK, I'm British, living in France...
    Most of the fora are based or originate in the States, yes?
    So in many ways, I'm metaphorically speaking, on the 'outside' looking in...
    And this is what it seems like, to me....

There's a lot of disruption happening on these Buddhist Fora... but it's simultaneous, and it's harsh, sudden and destructive.
    You might even be forgiven for thinking it's orchestrated.
    It's all happened within the last few weeks... and it's hit every single forum I personally have been on.
    Same people, same agenda....

America is one of the most vociferously Christian countries I know.
    I further know, both from speaking to folks on here, and through media information, that the bible belt is wide, strong and strapping, loud and imposing.
    Dissent is not only frowned upon, but it's also condemned and vilified

The best-case scenario is that these so-called Buddhist extremists are simply attempting to create havoc by seeking fiercely to impose their own stringent dogmas and impressions on others by ridiculing them, deriding the brand of buddhism they ascribe to, and through veiled condescending insults about their provenance and namby-pamby fluffy unintelligent approach. And I'm citing that as something that has been laid before me, in accusation.
    Fine....

the worst-case scenario is that these fanatical Budhists are more than that... they are highly educated theological experts who are hell-bent (pardon the phrase) in creating disharmony and discord among devoted Buddhists, by clever use of memorised Sutras and scriptures, and by undermining those whose knowledge is deep and consistent, through counter-arguments and contradiction...
    Bible-thumping Buddhists......

Call me paranoid if you like.
    It doesn't ultimately affect me all that deeply, because as I said, I'm kind of on the outside looking in...
    Interesting that all these disruptive influences are States-side, though....
    And those amongst us (like me, and maybe others whom have sought to ring alarm bells because we can see what is happening) have patronisingly been tapped on the head at times, and told not to panic, and to be tolerant and to just sit back and wait and see what happens, and that if the situation worsens then maybe we'll have a quiet word with them.....
    and in the meantime, the bomb in the bag, on the crowded railway terminal is ticking....and the kid who's tried to warn the rail-guard has been sent away with a lollipop....

If a woman went to a doctor with a large lump in her breast, and it was found to be malign, she'd be asked,
    "Why didn't you come to us when you first noticed it? Why didn't you tell us before..?"
    "Well," she may reply, sheepishly, "I thought it was probably bad, but i didn't want to worry anyone about it... and I thought it might just go away...."

Well it IS bad.
    And it IS worth worrying about.
    And it WON'T just go away.
    Not until it has completely invaded the whole system, infected it from top to bottom and destroyed it from inside.

I suggest Forum founders liaise and exchange information.

Just my two cents worth.

Enjoy your Sundays....
  • edited March 2006
    Do these problem exist in Buddhist groups offline? If so, how are they dealt with? If these people only act online, can they be treated as trolls (whether or not that's what they actually are)?

I haven't really seen much of them, but what I have seen/heard seems like typical trollish behaviour. They travel in packs, attack forums within the same subject areas, appear to know what they're talking about, at least on a superficial level (or alternatively, act like newcomers), attack well respected, highly knowledgeable members, strive to create confusion, arguments, and chaos (and after they leave or are banned, much of the confusion and negative attitude remains, which is the worst part of it)...

I think you're right, it would be a good idea for forum leaders to exchange information with each other and maybe form some sort of plan for how to deal with it.

It would be sad to see this place fall apart or taken over by negativity and suspicion and arguments and good members like Elohim (and a short while ago, zenmonk_genryu, I think) leave, temporarily or otherwise, because of these people (if that is what's happening).

I know it sounds silly, but this forum is exactly what I've been looking for, for a while. The core member group is respectful, nice, friendly, open, and helpful (and welcoming of newcomers), there is good discussion, but arguments or debate is very rare. I've never encountered a forum like this before and I've read quite a few (and been a member of a handful). This is the first Buddhist forum I've come across where the members try to practise Buddhism and not just compete with each other about who has the most knowledge or follows the best tradition or who is most authentically Buddhist. You have a good thing going here and it would be a shame to see it destroyed by these people, whatever their agenda is.
  • edited March 2006
    Jason

Your posts of what you thought you knew have often been a huge help to me. And I couldn't care less whether they are 100% in line with anybody's particular interpretation of the Suttas. Be well.

Martin.
  • federicafederica Seeker of the clear blue sky... Its better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak out and remove all doubt Moderator
    edited March 2006
    Well, thank you for your response aquula... I will immediately confess that I have posted this message on other fora too, and the reception has been mixed to say the least.
    I have been variously described as being in obvious 'pain'... as exaggerating the intention of those whom I KNOW for a fact are exactly as you say, trolling or flaming... and that a bit of debate should be welcomed...
    another person pleaded that there be no moderating, censorship or banning, because it would smack of dictatorship.
    well everybody of course has the right to accept or reject the well-intentioned warning of the message, as they see fit.

I am, however, with the above examples of responses, reminded of the apathy which preceeded WWII when Neville Chamberlain fluttered the piece of paper from 'Chancellor Hitler' that promised 'Peace in our Time'.... :rolleyesc
    Brian knows how much I truly care about this forum.
    He also knows the angst I used to feel before I considered closing threads, or Moderating... and he knows that even now, I am not always comfortable with this duty upon my shoulders.
    But I will always defend this forum from those who actively seek to undermine the purpose or message we hold dear here... whether the threat is openly derisive, abusive and insulting, or whether it comes in the guise of fanatical, extremist, fundamental Doctrine.
    For people to put in their posts -
    "I understand what you are saying, but try to also see it this way..." is music to my ears.

Intollerance, derision and patronising condescention on the other hand, such as have already been witnessed, are neither constructive nor helpful, and are not welcome here.
  • edited March 2006
    federica wrote:

Brian knows how much I truly care about this forum.
    He also knows the angst I used to feel before I considered closing threads, or Moderating... and he knows that even now, I am not always comfortable with this duty upon my shoulders.

Which is why you do such a good job of moderating this site.
    Those of us that pop on here daily know how much you care about this forum and I for one am glad that you told me about this place when I joined e-Sangha. I don't bother much with that forum now and so spend most of my time loitering around here !

I don't see you as a moderator though, more of a big sister who's looking after her siblings. You just nudge us in the right direction when we go off-topic (see MediDEATH thread) and I don't think any of us regular members could accuse you of being dictatorial.
    Unfortunatelyyou had to ban certain people from the site but you gave them plenty of opportunities to amend their behaviour and they did not.

Keep up the good work, it's definately appreciated. :)
    edited March 2006
    All,

Just so that you know, it is for my own benefit and that of others that I am taking the time to reevaluate my practice. For myself, I just want to make sure that I am heading in the right direction with my practice, and not walking in it backwards. For others, I just want to make sure that I am offering the best possible advice to help them do the same in theirs.

This has nothing to do with the recent upset out forum has seen. As Fede knows, I was not tricked by our "friends" multiple names, and while the infromation was not completely bogus, in my opinion, the interpretations certainly were. With that being said, I have simply noticed that I have been more concerned with offering others references and advice, and I was neglecting my own practice in the process. As I've said, I will still answer questions that are directed towards me to the best of my ability, but I try not to participate too much until I am more confident in where I am.

It is always good to evaluate one's practice, and to make sure that it hasn't strayed into Wrong View. Even the disciples of the Buddha sometime wandered off, and had to be put back in the right direction. As a wise MC named Will Smith once said, "You better check yourself before you wreck yourself." Wise words indeed. Peace out y'all.

Jason
    edited March 2006
    Thank you for that clarification Elohim... I apologise if I appear to have hyjacked your thread. It seemed an appropriate place to post. I in no way intended to imply that it was for the examples I gave in my post, that you were altering your contribution.
    The two ARE separate.

However, I know many took offence on your behalf at the way in which your contributions were responded to.
    Your plight, however, is not isolated. I have witnessed it elsewhere.
    That, if anywhere, is where the link lies.
    Blessings, J.,
    Fede
  • buddhafootbuddhafoot Veteran
    edited March 2006
    Well,

Don't leave and don't halt your participation too much Jason. I think that what you bring to the table enhances the "meal" so to speak. I, for one, am not to the point where I'm ready to eat just one particular brand of Buddhism of every meal for the rest of my life.

You are very fervent in your posts - and to be honest - maybe a little too fervent. But, not in a way that it bothers me - in a way that it bothers you. You want to help and share your knowledge so much, I believe you get upset when you aren't able to get your point across the way you wish. That's not good for you.

You should have learned by now that this is your home. You can go to your room for a couple of hours for "time-out" - but you're not running away on us. We want you to participate here.

-bf
  • edited March 2006
    I only found this site today, so many characters, so much knowledge to share and wonderful information.

I felt alone, looking for a way to learn and discuss things. Now - I feel all of your passion for Buddhism shine through. Today, I have gained much information, that will let me move forward on my journey. Maybe the first path I find, when I question it maynot be the right one - I will from all of your advice seek with an open mind, listen and use that instinct we all have to find what's right for me.

Jason, I have read much of your writings today. I'm sure eveyone will miss you. Thanks to you all,
  • edited March 2006
    Elohim - I'll miss you but I respect your decision - a good spring clean is a great idea, we too often get stuck in a set of ideas or interpretations and don't take the time to get them out of the box, have a good look at them and see if they are still valid. Happy dusting!
  • edited March 2006
    Jason,

I fully support your decision to deepen your practise.

You are an important member of the forum and I'm sure that your decision has been made on a solid foundation of contemplation and observation.

Please remember the murky depths from which the lotus flower blossoms.

Peace and deep respect,

Dave
  • edited March 2006
    Elohim, like the others have already said, you are a very important member of this forum. Please continue to teach us, as you have been doing! I understand your reason for taking some time away from here, but I just wanted you to know how important you are to all of us.

Kim
    edited March 2006
    All,

If I may, I would like to say few words.

While I am trying to take the time to study and focus on my own practice, I have also received private messages asking me to share my thoughts on these subjects, regardless if I feel that I may be wrong in my current understanding. In light of this, I have done my best to share with you the most valuable and relevant information I can. All I can offer to reassure you all is that whatever I say, right or wrong, is what I personally feel to be the best answer that I can possibly give. It is what I believe to be what the Buddha taught, or as close as I can come in my limited understanding.

While I openly admit that I regard the Pali Canon as the most authoritative texts available to us today, I do not limit myslf to the narrow views associated with any particular school of Buddhism. Many label what I say to be the "Theravadin" explanation, and while that is generally true, it is not always the case. I disagree with many of the modern day Theravada interpretations of the Dhamma as much as I disagree with many of the modern day Mahayana interpretations of the Dhamma. I do my utmost to keep an open mind that is free from sectarian biases and interpretations.

In short, I am not here to tell people what they want to hear, and I am not here to be politically correct. I am here to share what I personally believe to be the Path to liberation taught by the Blessed One himself. There are certainly time that I am wrong, and I do my best to learn from my errors, but I feel that I am at least on the right track. If my advice is indeed important to you all, then please realize that I am not the spokesman for "Theravada" Buddhism, or anything else for that matter. When I speak, I do so from the perspective that this will lead towards the end of suffering.

I speak only for the sake of Dhamma.

Sincerely,

Jason
  • XraymanXrayman Veteran
    edited March 2006
    cool.

I secretly wish I had your "limited understanding", it would turn me from "nutbag pseudo-Buddhist", to "Confident/knowledgable Buddhist".

regards,
    Xray
  • edited March 2006
    Jason,

The answers you've given to the questions I've had are always helpful. Don't stay away too long!
    edited April 2006
    Xrayman, L.f.A.,

Thank you.

Jason
  • edited April 2006
    Jason:

I want to know how things are in Santa Cruz. I am a banana slug, and I lived in Santa Cruz for thirteen years, but I left after the "big one."
    edited April 2006
    VWP,

They're alright I suppose.

Jason