Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

Does anyone here fish ?

Floating_AbuFloating_Abu Veteran
edited November 2011 in General Banter
I saw it done once and was ill, to put and pull the hooks in a fish's mouth is too cruel IMO.

I just saw a picture of a fishing rod on a spiritual 'teacher's' FB page - and it reminded me of this :(

Comments

• MindGateMindGate United States Veteran
    edited November 2011
    I used to fish. I never kept the fish, though - I always released them.

Now, I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure fish can't feel pain.
    Fish, from what I heard, don't have fully developed nervous systems.
    Because of this, they can't really feel "pain" in the sense we do.
    They know something is happening, but its not "painful."
    Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Funny you should mention this, I loved fishing when I was a kid, would either catch and eat or catch and release.

This past summer I had occasion to fish, and while fishing is fun, since it's a challenge to get them to bite, I had a hard time. Getting the hooks out was hard enough out of the mouth, but then I caught one hooked through the eye. I felt so bad after removing the hook from the fish, because of the condition of its eye I decided I no longer like it.

I guess the point is if fish are sentient beings we ought not do them harm,whether or not they feel pain is up for debate.
  • I have been commercial fishing for most of my life. http://www.thisfish.info/
  • Thanks for the responses, folks, I don't know if fish feel pain or not but when I saw it, I just couldn't like it anymore. I still eat meat on occassion though so I am still a hypocrite on those issues.

_/\_
  • zombiegirlzombiegirl beating the drum of the lifeless in a dry wasteland Veteran