Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
Welcome home! Please contact lincoln@icrontic.com if you have any difficulty logging in or using the site. New registrations must be manually approved which may take several days. Can't log in? Try clearing your browser's cookies.

How often do you meditate?

edited November 2011 in Meditation
I want to at least once a day for maybe 15 -20 minutes..

Comments

• DaltheJigsawDaltheJigsaw Mountain View Veteran
    Once or twice a day.
  • GuiGui Veteran
    when it is time to meditate
  • There are many types of meditation, walking meditation, sitting meditation, mindfulness in everday situations. How often do I mediate?? I could not possibly answer such a question. If you are asking within the last month and just sitting meditation, maybe twice. I go through periods of not having a sitting period at all. That is just the way it is for me. You can meditate whilst in a que at the supermarket or even on a rollacoaster if you wanted.
  • BonsaiDougBonsaiDoug Simply, on the path. Veteran
    30-45 minutes at the beginning of each day, and 30-ish before I turn in for the night.

Funny thing - I struggled with my sittings when I sat for less than 20 minutes, and used a timer. For me, moving past that 20 minute mark has made a world of difference.

I now sit without a timer, and simply stop when I choose to do so. When I stop, 30 to 45 minutes have passed.

Something about 20 minutes and under bothered me.
  • BrianBrian Detroit, MI Moderator
    I don't formally meditate. Instead, I try to do mindful things interspersed throughout the day. Sometimes is as simple as making coffee, sometimes while petting my dog, sometimes while playing a video game. Our lives are full of opportunities for meditation; all you need to do is start paying full attention to whatever it is you're doing at the moment.
  • Ajahn Chah -

You say that you are too busy to meditate. Do you have time to breathe? Meditation is your breath. Why do you have time to breathe but not to meditate? Breathing is something vital to people’s lives. If you see that Dhamma practice is vital to your life, they you will feel that breathing and practicing the Dhamma are equally important.

You’re blind and deaf without meditation. Dhamma isn’t easily seen. You must meditate to see what you’ve never seen. Were you born a teacher? No. You must study first. A lemon is sour only when you have tasted it.

When sitting in meditation, say, "That’s not my business!" with every thought that comes by.

When we are lazy we should practice and not only when we feel energetic or in the mood. This is practicing according to the Buddha’s teaching. According to our own, we practice only when we’re feeling good. How are we going to get anywhere like that? When are we going to cut the stream of defilements when we practice only according to our whims like that?

We don’t meditate to see heaven, but to end suffering.
  • Sogyal Rinpoche -
    The whole point of meditation is to get used to the that aspect
    which you have forgotten. In Tibetan "meditation" means "getting
    used to". Getting used to what? to your true nature, your Buddha
    nature.

One of the fundamental points of the spiritual journey is to
    persevere along the path. Though one's meditation may be good one
    day and and not so good the next, like changes in scenery,
    essentially it is not the experiences, good or bad which count so
    much, but rather that when you persevere, the real practice rubs
    off on you and comes through both good and bad. Good and bad are
    simply apparations, just as there may be good or bad weather, yet
    the sky is always unchanging.

If you persevere and have that sky
    like attitude of spaciousness, without being perturbed by
    emotions and experiences, you will develop stability and the real
    profoundness of meditation will take effect. You will find that
    gradually and almost unnoticed, your attitude begins to change.
    You do not hold on to things as solidly as before, or grasp at
    them so strongly, and though crisis will still happen, you can
    handle them a bit better with more humor and ease. You will even
    be able to laugh at difficulties a little, since there is more
    space between you and them, and you are freer of yourself. Things
    become less solid, slightly ridiculous, and you become more
    light-hearted.
  • Suzuki Roshi -

Most people may understand in this way. If so, there will not be—no need to practice zazen. But—but it is necessary. And why it is so is the point of my talk—discussion tonight...